IGNORED

Whatever happened to the "Wave"?

cali_beemer

Lately it seems like no one waves back when out on the road. when I first got into riding I was amazed at how many people waved to each other, no matter type of bike. It seems as if this is no longer the practice. So, do you wave? Lately even BMW riders...harley riders...sport bikes....just arent waving. I guess I have always liked the wave as a symbol of respect to other riders and dont want to see it go away, but I try to waver every time I see another rider.

I don't know, I get the opposite. When I see another biker at 7am and it's 30 degrees, I give a big wave and get back a big wave.

I get some waves around here.. however as a newer rider, I'm not to comfortable letting go of the handle bar for any period of time,

also in the nicer months, there are so many...

kinda like driving a truck, its not as special when it seems every 4th vehicle is a truck, and most of those drivers speak POOR English.

The wave is alive and well in central Texas. My waves are usually returned by other riders regardless of the brand they're riding. I frequently encounter other riders who wave first.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I try to also. Was surprised the other day when a guy on the other side of the freeway was waving. Didn't even see him until he was almost abreast of me. I don't wave on the freeway to oncoming riders.

Rode two up to Ione and Jackson last weekend and the riders that were out all waved...except for one RT rider. :S

The wave is out there alive and well. I personally am keeping it alive, but only from time to time. I cannot wave at everybody, all the time.

Sometimes on the freeway, and here and there.

The wave is generally not for around town. It is more for out on the open road, to the resort areas, where all have gone or are going for extended rides, vacation, a holiday, etc.

Not just so much on the commute around the city.

From time to time others wave at me first. If I can wave back, I do. Otherwise, the nod.

dc

Funny, 90+% of Harley riders do not wave so I quit waving at them unless they wave first and use all of their fingers

:rofl: I most always wave unless I am very low speed and and my hand for clutch/throttle in these cases I do give a nod.

In the last week, I had another rider going South on the interstate while I was going North and he gave a very high handed wave. Just yesterday I was on a frontage road going North and a GoldWing rider going south on the adjacent freeway gave me a very enthusiastic wave. I returned the wave with almost equal enthusiasm.

Some days though, it seems that no one waves.

Funny, 90+% of Harley riders do not wave

I'm waving at the motorcycle not the rider so bike brand isn't important to me.

I wave and get more than half of the riders wave back. About 8 or nine years ago was returning from Calgary on my K1200 RS. Caught up to 20 to 30 Hell's Angels, I passed them and I didn't wave. Passing them was probably not a good decision.

I am RT Russ with the Harley thing.Down here on the CC of Kalifornia OH wait minute it not Kalifornia anymore it back to California.I Always wave or nod if I can.

I find that the fewer the riders on the road the more waves I get in return. In poor weather, and off-season rides most people wave. During summer weekends there are so many bikes on the road that the % of people who wave appears much less. Even I stop waving when I take a ride along the beach during weekends, because that's all you'd do. It seems like most come to the same conclusion.

I have even waved to CHP and other motor officers. It is amazing how many actually wave back!

I do too, they most always return the wave.

The wave is alive and well here in Austin. Often I feel ridiculous waving back at the Tree-hugging scooter riders, but they wave, so I wave back.

I wave at pretty much everyone on two wheels. Sometimes they don't wave back and I don't care. :wave:

We have a bunch of new motor officers in town, and I wave at them too. Some wave back and some don't,

they all seem surprised that anyone would wave at them. :wave:

In traffic, I don't wave as much because I'm usually keeping an eye on some Id10t that might happen to take me out. :eek:

There are also a few places out in the country where old guys in pick-up trucks wave. Of course, I wave at them, too. :wave:

I find that the fewer the riders on the road the more waves I get in return. In poor weather, and off-season rides most people wave.

Those would be the real motorcyclists, rather than the shiny barhoppers...

:lurk:

Rode two up to Ione and Jackson last weekend and the riders that were out all waved...except for one RT rider.

That may have been me! I rode 49 down from my sisters to Ione, over to Galt, and then home to Aptos, on the coast. If it was a silver RT with bags and a silver Givi box, I'm the bozo. :wave:

I try to wave, but on a damp, unfamiliar road I miss it sometimes.

On my commute "over the hill" on highway 17, I can wave to most bikes. Sometimes traffic is such you don't try, but we all know about that. And yes, I've had CHP wave at ME FIRST, even when I was riding my '79XS11 dresser. :thumbsup: Guess I've been riding a while....

Danny caddyshack Noonan
That may have been me!

Hmm. Think it was a dark one right about noon or so. Westbound on Michigan Bar.

If it was, no offense taken. :wave:

Probably NOT me, then. I came down 49 from Auburn to 104. I was in Coloma about noon, eating brunch at the coffee :thumbsup: shop on the South-East corner. Good food, and reasonable price.

Forgot to mention that I have a silver helmet, Jacket, AND the light silver bike.

I am suprised at the people that have had LEO's wave. I have only had one or two LEO's wave. I have always figured it must be part of their trining not to or someting...with the lacjk of waving. I have also not received alot of wavebacks from scooter poeple either. I realize that you arent going to wave on the freeways where you often cant be seen or in middle of leaning into a turn....I often will give a nod if I cant wave.

I still always wave to everyone on two wheels, from scooters to full dresser HDs but only if/when it does not detract from my own safety. If I'm in a turn or there is a lot of traffic, then no wave from me.

I too, like others, have had the local LEOs initiate a wave. Of course things are likely to be different as you get into larger cities. The nearest town to me that has moto-cops is about 15 miles away and there are only two of them in the town of about 15,000. The next largest city is Amarillo about 45 miles away and most of those LEOs will wave if they are just cruising along, but if they appear to be on a mission of some sort, they won't.

:wave:

When I am overtaking Harleys I stick my right foot out as a wave, since my wave hand is too busy accellerating so I can get the hell out of there :wave:

I have even waved to CHP and other motor officers. It is amazing how many actually wave back!

The last local PD motor I waved to, waved back, and then pulled me over to ticket me for 72mph in a 55mph zone (not at all true). I still wave to the CHP and Sheriff's Deputies, but the only wave Oceanside PD will get from me will be of the single finger variety, and since I don't do that, well ... no more waves. :(

Have to keep you hands on the bars in case your beemer slips on the oil slick behind the Harley? lol

I wave to everyone, and it is maddening when someone doesn't wave back. I just assume they are newbies and can't take their hands off the bars. But in fact, they are probably very nice, experienced people who are very brand loyal.(how's that for politically correct?)

However, when anywhere near a bike rally, there are so many bikes that you can't wave, so no one does. And that is ok too.

Not a fan of the wave.

Care to elaborate why?

Just check out his name....he does not like the wave...he is french!

Just kidding.

I am a fan of the wave. It is a distinction for bikers from cage drivers. We have to think about each other IMHO, as a brotherhood. And that includes Harley riders...We are just so much more vulnerable out there compared to cages. It is nice to see and know that other guys have you back in a time of need. The wave is a way of acknowledging that.

Just like in a boat, we always wave. It actually is an acknowledgement that "I see you" and I will pass with care. It is more than just a friendly wave. Of course now days you have the "bad ass" kind of boat guys who don't wave...they just don't care enough about anyone else to bother waving. I think many of those boat guys own choppers or sport bikes.

For me it is a friendly thing, but a friendly thing with an underlying meaning that "I see you and GET our mutual comradery over and above the cages surrounding us"!

We have all read dozens, maybe hundreds of stories, and may even be part of many stories of helping out a fellow biker who was broken down. A wave says " I'm up to help, Got your back"

These are just my feelings and I am sure they don't matter, but I think they are worth consideration for my fellow riders.

Is the wave a requirement? Is it bad form to not have noticed someone oncoming? Too insecure are we?

Sometimes I wave, sometimes I don't. On coming group of whatever bikes, do you wave to all 40 of them or just the leads and then go back to paying attention to your riding?

The Europeans apparently think all our lack of attention to operating the bike to be able to have flagellating intercourse with on coming traffic is stupid. They all know the other guy is also operating a motorcycle. Doh, they attend to their operation of their own bike with both hands. :wave:

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Doh, they attend to their operation of their own bike with both hands.

Sounds like a lack of skill problem.

"Sounds like a lack of skill problem"

I suppose you are adept at texting and multitasking while riding?

Or maybe you are bucks down and can't afford to pay attention?

I had a friend run off the road, hit a rock and bend a rim while he was mucking about with his tape player. Another friend ran into the back of a truck and booger up his GS while diddling with his hydration system.

Some folks can't walk and chew gum and you want every body to wave? Entirely too much to ask.

The Europeans apparently think all our lack of attention to operating the bike to be able to have flagellating intercourse with on coming traffic is stupid. They all know the other guy is also operating a motorcycle. Doh, they attend to their operation of their own bike with both hands. :wave:

This is not the Europe I know. The French often use their legs to wave as they pass you. In the UK we usually raise the left hand. Most mainland European motorcyclists point down toward the road with two fingers in a V.

Andy

"This is not the Europe I know."

Mr Boff, I was merely mindless repeating what I had read in a motomag, which having been pronted must be true.

The answer to this crucial quandary is to get a bobble hand, like the bobble head, and a fix it to the dash on the RT next to the GPS and the radar detector and let it automatically be convivial for you!

I really must ask at this point of this deep social matter, do all of you wave to all the other drivers when operating the car, if not, why not?

Joe Frickin' Friday
I really must ask at this point of this deep social matter, do all of you wave to all the other drivers when operating the car, if not, why not?

Because virtually nobody does it, doing so would be confusing to the other driver.

I will note that Corvette owners do wave to each other. I don't know whether this is true of any other cars.

Some folks can't walk and chew gum and you want every body to wave? Entirely too much to ask.

If this is the reason a rider is unwilling to wave, then I'm a bit disturbed that they feel qualified to be in the saddle. No doubt there are circumstances in which one should give full attention to the riding task (e.g. when navigating a sporting turn or heavy traffic), but on a lazy Sunday cruise on gentle roads? Don't be a stranger.

Morning Gents,

As far as cars waving, there is no brotherhood among cars. They are simply a means to an end. A way to get from A to B.

Corvettes are a luxury item, elite, so they have a common interest with other owners, they wave. Jeeps have a similar common interest, like motorcycles a jeeper will help out a broken down feelow jeeper out on a trail, so jeep drivers often wave, we call it the jeep wave. My 17 yr old daughter drives our family jeep as her daily driver, she gets mad when other jeep drivers don't wave back.

Of course I don't EXPECT the wave all of the time. Safety is first on a MC. I have thrown out a leg when I can't take my hand off the bar, I have thrown up the head in a salute.

I am with Mitch, If a guy riding down a flat straight smooth street does not have the skill to pull off his left hand from the bar and throw up a quick wave, I worry about his or her overall ability to ride a bike at all.

I personally ride for miles at a time with only one hand on the bars to relax my bad wrist.

The biker wave is not mandatory, and it is not tied to my insecurities. It is tied to my feelings of comradery with fellow riders. If a rider doesn't want to wave that is fine, that is his prerogative, but then it is also my preogative to think that he or she is a douche bag, when it was safe to wave and there was clear eye contact, and to know there is one more biker out there who could care less about his fellow riders.

"I'm a bit disturbed that they feel qualified to be in the saddle."

Oh, Piffle, say I. Waving to someone you don't know is hardly a qualifier for operating a motorcycle. I do beleeb youse is loose in this thought process.

Folks in cars don't wave because there are too many of them? I feel the same way when I encounter dozens of late sleeper cycle jockeys coming up the mountain when I've had my morning ablution with the dawn patrol and I am coming down. Too many to wave to.

When I had the race fin on the helmet, I only waved to the other finned riders. The comradrerie of shared insanity. I broke my fin getting into the car on day and now I can't wave no more. :cry:

Calling one D-bag should get name calling cops on this site emailing you a nastygram. Not being nice is a no-no. Shame on you for being so coarse.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I suppose you are adept at texting and multitasking while riding?

Odd question. Not texting as that would be stupid but multitasking, yes. Operating the motorcycle, PTT for the radio, reading street signs and traffic, modulating the siren and riding fairly damn fast through traffic past frequently clueless people...including those who express curious conjecture.

Skillset. If you can't ride without both hands on the bars at all times there are always motorhomes. As I used to tell certain individuals in a certain building that there were not free to leave, "don't try to be smarter than me, just be smarter than the floor you're walking on". Maybe John Wayne said it better:

"Life's tough..... It's even tougher if you're stupid."

I actually don't much care if I get a wave back or not since the wave may, or may not, be seen in the first place. If I don't get one, I might find it curious and wonder why. People can be busy. You turned it into the 100% generalization and then modify that and try to turn that into an individual here or there being unable to notice the wave.

As far as a waving in general on the road, they are exchanged very frequently between classic British car owners.

The drivers of Jeep Wranglers and CJ's wave, so do Miata owners and as previously mentioned, Vette pilots.

The guys in Brit cars appear to be waving but they are just fanning the wire harness smoke away from their noses. I think!

Well, some D-bag on a GS today went by without waving to me. I was out on my daily walk wearing BMW Rally tee shirt, Rondel and all and I waved and he ignored me. I was sooooo incensed! I mean really, How can anyone be so incompetent at riding a moorcycle to not wave to a pedestrian wearing a BWM shirt?

Youse guys are so right, the guy was complete D.H.

When I ride our small country roads, what I like best is when non-riding people like joggers, ladies/gents walking their dog, ladies picking up the mail from the box, older gents riding the lawn tractor, etc. wave at me. They always get a big wave back. Some times when commuting, same daily hours, I see the same people. After a few times it's almost like seeing a friend. The best part is waving at kids in the minivan or school bus.

Lets start a rumor that some guy is riding around on a MC and that when he waves to you and you wave back, you could be the lucky winnner of "Waving for Dollars". Its not quite the same thing is it. Oh well. :wave:

Today I passed over a dozen motorcycles and no wave. Maybe its just me, or maybe it must be the new deodorent....LOL I guess guys on beemers just arent cool.....I guess I need to go trade in on the latest squid bike like a GSXR1000 to be cool..... :D

Archived