IGNORED

Help finding GPS accessory socket R1200RT? (2010)

w2ge

I'm still awaiting the shipment of my bike, but have my new Garmin 660, a RAM mount that I hope will work out and they are sending me the yellow 3 wire socket to wire to and plug into that accessory socket hiding along the forks. My question, how do you find it, does any "plastic" have to come off, or can I just kinda look up the forks from the ground and find it among the loom? I did a search and didn't see a topic on getting to it, but if it already has been discussed, I apologize.

I know there was a topic explaining what yellow-wire 1,2 and 3 were, but I forget.. so if you have that, I'd appreciate it too! ;-)

TIA, Phil

Phil... welcome on board.

You probably do not have to remove any body work... aka Tupperware, but it will also make it easier. Fact is, you might as well learn how to do this because it is easy and and you will discover that taking it off is a rather frequent experience if you do any work, or even cleaning, on your bike.

So... I suggest you invest a few minutes after you get the bike and figure it out. Also your dealer's delivery session might be a good time to ask him to point out how its done.

The Plug or Socket..... it is usually found taped to the brace under the headstock. It will be under the tape... and it will be shaped to match the mating plug.

This link to the zumo forums might be helpful:

http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=2798.msg22843

I started this thread and some other BMW guys made valuable contributions. Of course the photos and etc were before the 2010 models came out but I hear there are very few changes effecting this installation.

Good luck and let us hear how it goes.

Hopz,

Thanks, I know I had read a link where the yelow pin-out was explained.. forgot it that was on the Zumoforums (been on there for a couple of years) I've been reading so many threads I forget what I read, where!

Unfortunately I won't be "receiving" the dealer delivery session because this bike is coming from Texas. Only delivery I'm getting is from Keyboard Motorcycle Shipping Co. ;-) The bike was purchased new in August by a Sport-bike rider, put on 2,140 miles and traded it for the S1000RR.

I know on BMWOA is a thread explaining the tupperware removal but I haven't received my official membership yet and can't view the .jpg's. I sent in the membership at the IMS show in NYC.

IMG_0014.jpg

Hopz,

Thanks, I know I had read a link where the yelow pin-out was explained.. forgot it that was on the Zumoforums (been on there for a couple of years) I've been reading so many threads I forget what I read, where!

Unfortunately I won't be "receiving" the dealer delivery session because this bike is coming from Texas. Only delivery I'm getting is from Keyboard Motorcycle Shipping Co. ;-) The bike was purchased new in August by a Sport-bike rider, put on 2,140 miles and traded it for the S1000RR.

I know on BMWOA is a thread explaining the tupperware removal but I haven't received my official membership yet and can't view the .jpg's. I sent in the membership at the IMS show in NYC.

IMG_0014.jpg

Nice looking bike!

That is a great bike. Congratulations.

Regarding the MOA... go to the site and then the Forums. Look under the Hexhead/Camhead sub-forum.. locate the Technical sub sub forum. This will link you to a notice that has a link in the opening sentence- click it. I think you can get on without too much trouble. If you registered for the MOA chances are that your membership is already valid. Call them on the phone or go to the site and look to see if you registered.

Try this link. It may not work but maybe it will:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35262

Good luck-

p.s. I know the link is for the 2008 model but I bet it is pretty close.

Hopz, Yep.. that's the thread..

I received an email this morn from Beth Cooper, BMWOA membership director that the membership apps from the NYC show haven't been received yet, thus I'm "shut-out" of viewing the .jpg's, and many threads on BMWOA for "Members only... Grrrr. I've got all my Torx bits ready though! ;-)

Thanks for the help and the compliments..

P.S.: I was able to purchase a raffle tix for the R1200GSA which they said was for members only and under my profile on the website I have a member #????

Phil

Archived