IGNORED

which hose

RPG

since there's three feet of snow on the ground here in the Motor City, thought I would delve into my problem from last year. My '04 RT was still stalling unexpectedly so wanted to rule out the vacuum hoses since I had the tank off before the problem started.

Of the two vacuum hoses connected to the tank (with the tank off the bike) should I be able to blow air through both? I can only blow air through the one that vents directly to the ground (when the tank is on and the hoses are connected at the splice point).

thanks,

RPG

Jerry Johnston

Maybe the overflow vent in the gas cap area. Open the gas cap and see if you can blow air through the hose.

One line is a drain that drains fuel and water from the outer neck of the filler cap. The other is the fuel tank vent, which may either dangle with the drain line or end in a charcoal canister which can get plugged up over time (US models). Some folks just remove the canister. Sometimes, people get the hoses switched and the canister fills up with water from the filler neck.

Hi RPG

One hose is the water drain from the dip in the outer ring just outside of the gas cap sealing area. The other is the actual vent hose and runs from INSIDE the tank to the evap canister at the rear (if it is still there).

You should be able to blow back up through the water drain hose and have air come out the little drain hole in the cap filler ring.

As for the actual vent hose you can disconnect it from the evap can then blow back up through it with the filler cap OPEN and hear air escaping inside the fuel tank.

Then blow air into the fitting on the evap can where that hose was attached and not build any pressure (air should vent through the charcoal and out the vent hose that exits behind the R/H foot peg.

You might have a kinked hose under the tank if the above criteria can’t be met.

Both vents to the tank are open but I've decided to remove the cannister.

Since I've had the bike I've always filled it up (maybe too much) in an effort to get the fuel gauge to show all 10 bars. That only happens IF I fill to the max. Maybe over the years, this has contaminated the cannister and is causing my stalling issue at idle.

Anywhooo, I removed it last night and can fully test it and report the anticipated results when the weather here breaks 40. Which in Detroit, might be another three months.

thanks again everyone.

RPG

Evening Rick

Don’t throw that canister away. When you store the bike for the winter just use a short piece of hose and connect the new open vent line to the canister inlet port (just hang the canister on the bike with a wire or string) . That will keep a lot of moisture from being taken into the tank during storage as the carbon in the canister will trap most of the moisture as the tank internal air space expands and contracts during temperature and atmospheric pressure variations.

Evening Rick

Don’t throw that canister away. When you store the bike for the winter just use a short piece of hose and connect the new open vent line to the canister inlet port (just hang the canister on the bike with a wire or string) . That will keep a lot of moisture from being taken into the tank during storage as the carbon in the canister will trap most of the moisture as the tank internal air space expands and contracts during temperature and atmospheric pressure variations.

thanks D.R. Nope, I always keep original parts in case the next owner wants to re-install.

rpg

What is this "winter storage" thing you guys often speak of?

It was 82 degrees here today! I was riding at 8pm in a light jacket and jeans.

Sorry....couldn't resist. :)

CoarsegoldKid

Yesterday I was sitting outside in the setting sun with a group of riders tipping back a few brews during the football game. "Isn't this weather great", said one. "Yeah, there sure are a lot of forum threads on how do you winterize your motorcycle", said another. Collectively we said, "I ride it to circulate the oil and fuel." I sympathize with you fellas.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Besides, if I rode all the time, I'd be really frustrated owning a BMW. I need the winters (and more!) to keep up the maintenance. Next items: replace brake lines, front tire, check front bearings and look for annoying clicking sound coming from speedo drive.

Winter is a good time to re-assess, take some down time, get back into restoration/maintenance mode. If you get out in it, ski, skate, toboggan and appreciate how beautiful it is after a major storm, its beauty is beyond words.

The long winters used to bother me when I was a teenager until I moved to Houston. That first hot, humid, sweltering summer made me realize my dad's love of this state and his sage advice. "Michigan is a place only fully appreciated after you've toiled somewhere else". I've been back for 27 years now.

RPG

Beautiful summers here too....We have snow 45 minutes away if I want snow. Surfing 45 min away if I want that. Awesome deserts starting at 45 minutes away and going on for hours. Hunting, fishing, hiking, mountain biking, dirt biking, wakeboarding, snowboarding, and about anything else all here, all year round.

Low humidity, low 90ish summers on average, 100 ish during heat waves, but its hot everywhere when those happen. Upper 50-60s during the winter on average...20s at times when a cold front comes thru...65-85 average year round....I have been to Michigan, my whole family is from there. It was way more humid there than here when I was there.

Different strokes.

I agree. My wife's family is from Detroit and I grew up in Indiana. Even though it's hotter here temp wise in the summer, it feels cooler, plus it always cools off at night.

Now if we could just get some businesses to come here, maybe I wouldn't be so close to being upside down on my house :).

I agree. My wife's family is from Detroit and I grew up in Indiana. Even though it's hotter here temp wise in the summer, it feels cooler, plus it always cools off at night.

Now if we could just get some businesses to come here, maybe I wouldn't be so close to being upside down on my house :).

Business out here in the Valley does suck the last few years. Inland has always been less business and lower average pay than say LA or the OC. That is why I have always had to commute to LA/OC for construction. Almost NO union carpentry work out here, and rat work out here just doesn't pay. But after my long drive home everyday, I love being out here.

Archived