IGNORED

Anyone have experience with Resperate (for hypertension)?

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

A relative of mine has been diagnosed with hypertension, but is reluctant to take medication for it. As an alternative, an acquaintance who is a cardiologist has recommended a biofeedback device called Resperate.

My first impression on reading about it was "really?", but evidently it's backed up by a number of real (i.e. rigorously conducted/controlled and published in peer-reviewed medical journals) studies, and has received FDA approval (which means the FDA is satisified that it is safe and effective for its intended use). So waddyaknow, it might actually work.

Anyone here have any direct experience with it? Easy/hard to use? Effective/ineffective in your particular case? Fun? Boring? Life-changing? Rip-off?

Sorry no, but stop eating salt...any salt, take a baby aspirin before you go to bed at night and the hypertension will dramatically improve.

Sorry no, but stop eating salt...any salt, take a baby aspirin before you go to bed at night and the hypertension will dramatically improve.

Salt restriction may help lower blood pressure in those who are salt-sensitive. Aspirin does not lower blood blood pressure.

I am no expert on Resperate, but am not surprised that there are some positive study outcomes. However, it takes a long-term commitment of about an hour a week, and we don't know that it will confer the same proven long-term benefits of prescription blood-pressure lowering medications. I would think it would be less effective for those with relaxed, easy-going personalities. Maybe any habit that helps one relax would work just as well. It certainly seems safe.

My feeling is that it may help some, but is unlikely to be a viable alternative to medication for most people. Interesting concept though.

Jay

I can't comment on that device, but I do believe that it would probably help to some degree. I do relaxation exercises for stress relief, and they involve a similar concept of slowing my breathing and heart rate. I also have high blood pressure, and I have noticed that my blood pressure goes down a bit and stays down better when I stick with my relaxation exercises over the long term (which is hard to do all the time).

But as JayW says, it takes a long term commitment. For me, it only helps if I can manage to spend about 15 minutes a day, most days of the week, and keep it up for several weeks before I notice much difference. But it does make a noticeable difference for me.

The device seems a bit expensive, since it is possible to get the same effect without it, using relaxation exercises. But that takes some research and experimentation to find what work for you, so if the cost isn't a problem, it certainly wouldn't hurt to give it a try. I just wouldn't expect results too quickly, and it may or may not do enough by itself.

Mitch I know it's really for you so here is what the Wurtmiester says...

medical marijuana :)

uMMM...me thinks Mitch already does that, Wurty.!! w00t

Archived