IGNORED

RT Windshield Strut Breakage

Rinkydink

I'm getting a new shield for my 09 RT. I have searched this forum for the strut breakage threads. It seems to be a problem for earlier 1200s in the 05-07 years. Has anyone had a newer model's struts break?

I'm getting a new shield for my 09 RT. I have searched this forum for the strut breakage threads. It seems to be a problem for earlier 1200s in the 05-07 years. Has anyone had a newer model's struts break?

I have an 07 RT with 110k miles on it and the original struts are holding up fine. Their's some speculation that strut breakage isn't related to model year but to use of a larger than stock shield.

CoarsegoldKid
It seems to be a problem for earlier 1200s in the 05-07 years.

The answer to the question you didn't ask is my '05RT with a large aftermarket windscreen did just fine for 52K miles and would still be in use except for a Texas pothole. I really don't think it has anything to do with model year. Things break.

I believe the BMW part number is unchanged from 2005 through at least 2009.

Incidentally, jakfrost on this forum manufactures and sells a nice pair of support struts for this application.

Thanks, I just know that it wasn't a problem with the 2002-2004 bikes even with a bigger than stock windshield.

Archived