IGNORED

Leak in clutch system on R1150RT

Trav1150

A little over a month ago I returned from a 4,000km ride and parked my 2001 R1150RT in the garage. A couple of weeks ago I noticed some fluid on the floor under the engine but did not investigate the source of the fluid. I have just moved the bike for the first time since the trip and noticed that the clutch handle can be depressed very easily indicating that the fluid must have been clutch fluid. There was no sign of a problem during the 4,000km trip. Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, what may have happened to cause the leak? Thanks in advance.

On your bike it will be the clutch slave cylinder.

Reason for failure: Age.

Solution: Repair/ replace worn-damaged components.

+1.

A new slave cylinder is not that expensive, and a once a year fluid replace will take the worry for future failures ;)

Dan.

Most likely it's the slave cylinder, but those leaks usually track up the throwout rod to the clutch. My 2002 RT developed a leak at the far end of the clutch hose where the metal sleeve for the banjo fitting was swagged onto the line. There is a place where water can collect and rust the fitting. I replaced both the hose and the slave cylinder anyway while I was there. Also, I drilled a hole in the bottom of the slave cylinder cavity so future leaks won't foul the clutch.

Archived