IGNORED

Wow, I had no idea.

Lineareagle

So I am in the local grocery picking up my standard veggies and saw a big pile of rutabaga.

I recall my dad buying them and as far as I remembered they were pretty tasty.

So for $0.89 I figured I'd give it a try.

I did remember they were a bear to cut up but all went well and all digits remained attached to my hands.

Threw them in a pot of water and started them boiling, wow the odor really brought back some memories of my dad.

So as I am into healthy fare I looked them up on the net.

Whoa! almost a super food.

I had no idea. They will be part of my soups and such from now on, even the left over water is a refreshing drink.

Rutabaga nutrition.

I always include them in a Beef and Guinness stew :) .

When you boil them, slice them as thinly as you can then they mash up well, not as smooth as spuds but still makes a nice accompaniment to anything :thumbsup:

Joe Frickin' Friday

Back in grad school my roomie and I used to make pasties. On one occasion he was trying to cut a rutabaga, and the knife got stuck; he just couldn't push it all the way through. He picked up the whole assembly by the handle and slammed the rutabaga down on my cutting board.

The cutting board - 1.5-inch-thick cherry block, raised off of the countertop by its four rubber feet - split in two.

:eek:

Yeah, you practically need a hacksaw to get through those things.

Back in the old country we call them "lanttu".

But call them what ever you want, the're goooood...... :)

Another not so well known vegetable that we cook with is sunchoke or "lipstick" as mom calls them.

In general I love pretty much all root vegetables, potatoes, lanttu, beets, sunchokes, carrots.... Yes I know, I'm Finn. It's in my genes.

BTW, Camille thinks sunchoke soup is about the best thing you can make in a pot.

--

Mikko

I saw this and wondered what exotic vegetable could this be? It turns out it is a swede, though in Scotland it is called a turnip.

I wish you guys would learn to speak English :)

Andy

I saw this and wondered what exotic vegetable could this be? It turns out it is a swede, though in Scotland it is called a turnip.

Andy

In NY we know them as turnips as well. Still hard as rocks to cut through. We always buy them pre-cut.

Andy

It's actually a different plant than a swede, I think swedes taste better (insert obvious snicker here) and turnips definitely do. Parsnips are the best root crop though.

Andy, I'm doing my best on the language front.

Mikko, a sunchoke is also known as Jerusalem Artichoke - I'm growing them in my yard.

Andy

Baldrick.jpg
Joe Frickin' Friday
If you call rutabagas turnips, what do you call turnips?

Apparently the name "swede" is a truncation of "Swedish turnip." The Swedes were the ones who started calling it rutabaga ("root bag"). It's closely related to the turnip, so it's not too much of a stretch to call it a turnip anyway.

On the name:

"Rutabaga" is the common American and Canadian term for the plant. It comes from the Swedish word Rotabagge, meaning simply "root bag". "Swede" is the preferred term used in much of England, Wales, Australia and New Zealand. In the U.S., the plant is also known as "Swedish turnip" or "yellow turnip", while in Ireland, it is referred to as "turnip". The name turnip is also used in parts of Northern and Midland England, Cornwall and Atlantic Canada. In Scots, it is either "tumshie" or "neep",[1] and Brassica rapa var. rapa, termed a "turnip" in southern English usage, instead is called a "white turnip" as in Ireland. Scots will refer to both types by the generic term "neep" (from Old English næp, Latin napus).[1][2] Some will also refer to both types as just "turnip" (the word is also derived from næp).[2] In North-East England, turnips and swedes are colloquially called "snaggers" (archaic). They should not be confused with the large beet known as a mangelwurzel. Its common name in Sweden is kålrot (literally "cabbage root"), similarly in Denmark it is known as kålroe, while in Norway it has usurped the name of kålrabi in addition to being known as kålrot.

On the botanical history:

The species commonly known as swede or rutabaga has had a rich taxonomic history. The earliest account comes from the Swiss botanist Gaspard Bauhin, who wrote about it in his 1620 Prodromus.[4] Brassica napobrassica was first validly published by Carl Linnaeus in his 1753 work Species Plantarum as a variety of B. oleracea: B. oleracea var. napobrassica.[5] It has since been moved to other taxa as a variety, subspecies, or elevated to species rank. In 1768, a Scottish botanist elevated Linnaeus' variety to species rank as Brassica napobrassica in The Gardeners Dictionary, which is the currently accepted name.[6]

Rutabagas have a diploid chromosome number of 2n = 38. It originated from a cross between turnips (Brassica rapa) and Brassica oleracea. The resulting cross then doubled its chromosomes, becoming an allopolyploid species. This relationship was first published by Woo Jang-choon in 1935 and is known as the Triangle of U.[7]

Wow!

They should not be confused with the large beet known as a mangelwurzel.

I'll try to remember that! Wouldn't want create that kind of faux pas. That would be embarrassing!

Ok it's really weird, but what is the reciepe for Beef & Guiness stew?

Pour a bottle of Guinness Extra Foreign Stout into a pan, drink one, put some beef in the pan, drink another, turn on heat, drink another, after that you won't care all that much...

p.s. vegetarians can add celery after the beef.

Head explodey!

OK so just to be clear,

I COOKED A RUTABAGA not a turnip, I don't like turnip, turnip is white, turnip has no flavor.

Rutabaga good, rutabaga is yellow, rutabaga sweet.

A cacoethes for rutabaga is understandable once you taste its sweet nutty flavor / flavour.

we survived the postwar years on Turnips (Steckrueben)and Potatoes, and look how well we turned out :rofl:.

Aside from its nutritional values, I share with you the fondness for its taste.

When I cook it, I like to eat it with a slab of Corned Beef (and Potatoes, of course), and I put lots of pepper on the Turnips.

Btw there is a two-handed gadget that makes it easier to cut the Turnips, see if I can find it.....no, no luck, but I remember it was approx. 8" long with two solid round handles and a sturdy cutting knife in the middle. Where is the Slice and Dice guy when we need him?

Anyway, I found these enticing recipee's while googeling.

http://www.marions-kochbuch.de/index/1243.htm

Guten Appetit!

HERE is the basic recipe.

However, I use the above recipe plus the whole 440ml can of Guinness and my riff is the above recipe plus an additional clove of garlic, 2 sticks of celery cut up and 2 lge potatoes, 1 lge rutabaga and 2 turnips all cubed about 1 inch. I then add 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce and enough beef stock to cover and away you go...same 3hr cooking time. Give it a stir from time to time to stop sticking to the bottom of the pan. Salt and pepper to taste.... :thumbsup:

Archived