IGNORED

CA - Walker Pass/Rte. 178

jmseattle

As part of a get-out-of-gray-Seattle-in-February ride, on the back half of the trip will be heading west from Death Valley towards San Luis Obispo or Cambria area in mid-Feb. Was wondering if going over Walker Pass via 178 was advisable that time of the season or if it would be more prudent to stay on 395/14 to Mojave before turning west (Rt 58)? Will be riding two-up and fully loaded if that has any bearing.

CA DOT site says no restrictions at present on 178. Thanks for any input.

Walker Pass and Rt.178 should not be an issue in February. You can definitely include it in your trip plan.

Good riding,

Hedstrom

There have been some bad rock slides in the canyon between Lake Isabella and Bakersfield. I'm heading to Bako tomorrow morning, so I'll give you a road report in the evening.

Dwight

Like any mountain road, the road conditions today will not necessarily be the same road conditions tomorrow. So, the best road report you can get is, check conditions the day of travel and reroute if necessary. Have a fun filled trip.

Just drove from Bakersfield to Ridgecrest via 178, and it's open, clear and dry. Like flyingreg says, check the weather and the dot.ca.gov websites for the latest conditions.

If you've never ridden this road before, you're in for a treat!

Dwight

I don't know if he is still there but!!!

There used to be this particular CHP officer we called " By the Book BOB ". He knew how to use his instant on and showed me a few times I traveled that route. There is a cool old store up there but I can't remember the name. That old store is where Bob hung out... The wind is usually enuff to slow you down anyway. Have fun...

Archived