IGNORED

Footpeg lowering kit

BerndM

I have just received the footpeg lowering kit from Suburban Machinery for my 05 RT.

The installation was easy but the lowered pegs required a 1 tooth adjustment of the shifter. The brake is OK where it is, since I never use it.

Having the pegs 1 1/2" lower is an amazing change and really makes the riding position MUCH more comfortable.

One thing they didn't mention is that not only are the pegs lower, they are also spaced WIDER than before, about an inch on each side, so there is a break-in period to get used to the new foot positions.

I'm already REALLY liking the more open leg position.

My one bitch though is that they had the unmitigated nerve to charge over $18 for shipping, insurance and handling!! That's hiway robbery for a 1 pound FedEx ground shipment.

If they needed more money for the parts, they should just charge more up front rather than sticking it to you with bogus add-on charges.

I DO like the parts though!

I agree, their shipping is abusive. I like the product and waited until a set came available in the classifieds and bought them there. My knees love them!!

Nice n Easy Rider

My one bitch though is that they had the unmitigated nerve to charge over $18 for shipping, insurance and handling!! That's hiway robbery for a 1 pound FedEx ground shipment.

Especially with the (relatively) new USPS "if it fits, it ships" boxes. I'm sure that USPS shipping costs would have been significantly less and another couple of days probably wouldn't have made a big difference to you.

When I order something, anything, I just look at the total price and decide. If a item price is $50 and shipping is another $50, I consider if it is worth $100 and buy it or not. I don't care on what line of the invoice is the money.

I had Suburban low pegs on my R1100RT, on the R1150R, and now on the R1200GS. I really need them. My knees don't bend much.

How is the ground clearance, compared to stock? I've been tempted by these pegs myself. If I did more 2-up riding it'd be a must-have (allowing the lower seat position for more flat-footing at stops).

The way I look at it, if I'm scraping my footpegs on the road, them I'm going WAY the heck too fast for my own good. So having them 1 1/2 inches lower means I have a bigger safety envelope.

Remember curb feelers on older cars? Yeah, it's like that!

The "shipping" charge is not based on what they pay UPFedUSPSEX to deliver the package.

It is based on paying an employee to take the order and fill it, pack it, adress it, ship it etc.

That all takes time.

Next time one of us ships a package I'd suggest we record the amount of time it takes to do everything involved, including the drive to shipping office or time it took to get boxes previoously.

Some places seem to charge more or less for the service end of shipping and I try to catch them when a "free shipping" event is going on.

Best wishes.

How is the ground clearance, compared to stock? I've been tempted by these pegs myself. If I did more 2-up riding it'd be a must-have (allowing the lower seat position for more flat-footing at stops).

I never dragged the pegs before lowering them. Now I find that they drag once in a while when really pushing. (Pushing is relative. My "pushing" may be crawling to someone else.)

Having said that, I would never go back to stock. The bike is much more comfortable, the dragging is almost a non-issue, and like you I like the lower seat position when riding two up. I also ride much slower with a passenger, so the pegs never drag for me while two up.

The "shipping" charge is not based on what they pay UPFedUSPSEX to deliver the package.

It is based on paying an employee to take the order and fill it, pack it, adress it, ship it etc.

That all takes time.

I guess you would not be offended if a fast food place charged shipping and preping your burger? Or wallmart or other retailer charged shipping and handling of the shoes you buy? They never will because they add the operating expences into the products they sell.

Comparing Wallyworld, a giant reseller, with numerous retail outlets to a manufacturer who sells directly to a consumer isn't apples to apples.

Seems like you want the merchant to hide associated costs under one price.

That works too.

I have used both their bar risers and the foot peg lowering kits that I ordered directly from Suburban Machinery.

I ordered them online which gave me the total costs before I confirmed and at no time was I required to buy them unless I so chose.

Just saying.

"they add the operating expences into the products they sell"

Yup, that's exactly what I do in my head when I see a shipping charge. Then I buy or not.

That all takes time.

I guess you would not be offended if a fast food place charged shipping and preping your burger? Or wallmart or other retailer charged shipping and handling of the shoes you buy? They never will because they add the operating expences into the products they sell.

EXACTLY my point! Why dork around with seemingly arbitrary and unpublished "hidden" fees.

Just be up front and sell the item for it's real price.

The shipping is a no brainer, we all know how THAT works, but the handling part is B.S.

Bernd

EXACTLY my point! Why dork around with seemingly arbitrary and unpublished "hidden" fees.

Just be up front and sell the item for it's real price.

The shipping is a no brainer, we all know how THAT works, but the handling part is B.S.

Bernd

Let's look at the other side for a moment. It costs money and time to ship a product. What if you can sell your peg kits for $(whatever the price) to a walk in customer, and then you get a phone order for a set of pegs that has to ship out of state? They are sold at the same price but these have the extra cost of shipping. Go drop off the pegs at a "shipping center" of your choice and see how much they charge over and above the actual shipping cost for "handling" the package! There is no free shipping and handling, someone has to be paid to do it.

Many, many years ago I worked in a warehouse as a Shipping & Receiving clerk.

A small package, like the 1 pounder I got from Suburban, took less than 5 minutes to get from stock, box it and stick the label on it.

And this was from a 100,000 square foot warehouse that carried THOUSANDS of various electrical items. Im sure Suburban's warehouse is TINY compared to that.

It seems to me that they may be UNDER-pricing their advertised product to get you to order from them instead of other venders and them up the "loss" by charging ridiculous "handling" fees.

I might be wrong, but I'm thinking, NOT.

All I know is that I lost a couple of the set screws which came with my SM pegs, called Suburban and they shipped me a new supply (plus some extras) for free. I don't mind paying a little more for a product (or the shipping) with service like that.

Hollow Road Rider

Geez! Is this the first time you've noticed "shipping& handling" expenses? Get with it man. This is the cost of doing business these days. If you're not buying on Ebay or Amazon, every supplier has nonsensical charges for shipping.

Like they said earlier... Is the bottom line worth the cost of the product? After all, it's not like you can walk across the street to buy it, and if you had to drive across town for it you've got fuel and time expense.

BTW, get the Suburban bar risers too. I had their rider pegs, pillion pegs, bar risers, and an extended shifter on my RT... good stuff. They don't make anything for my GS/A.

I once bought a orange peeler from Sunkist, the shipping/handling was so much more than the peeler, I bought a dozen peelers so I didn't feel so bad..

Ya, I know it doesn't have anything to do with Bikes, but we have almost 4 foot of snow and sub freezing temps now and it doesn't take much to amuse me..:)

Al

Having probably paid Bob's 3-month salary :grin:on parts from Bob's BMW I have to agree. I first look at the "delivered" price and decide from there if I want it or not. With no local BMW dealer anymore I have accepted that it is what it is. You pay the $$$ to get what you really want.

Geez! Is this the first time you've noticed "shipping& handling" expenses? Get with it man. This is the cost of doing business these days. If you're not buying on Ebay or Amazon, every supplier has nonsensical charges for shipping.

Like they said earlier... Is the bottom line worth the cost of the product? After all, it's not like you can walk across the street to buy it, and if you had to drive across town for it you've got fuel and time expense.

BTW, get the Suburban bar risers too. I had their rider pegs, pillion pegs, bar risers, and an extended shifter on my RT... good stuff. They don't make anything for my GS/A.

No this is certainly NOT the first time I've noticed the S&H charges, BUT it IS the first time that ANYONE has had the balls to charge me over $18 to ship a frigging 3" X 3" X 8", 1 pound package.

Shipping charges here to Canada from the US in many cases is also very high. I was recently looking at ordering some heated clothing, the shipping charges were around $75.00. Way to expensive!!

Shipping charges here to Canada from the US in many cases is also very high. I was recently looking at ordering some heated clothing, the shipping charges were around $75.00. Way to expensive!!

That's why I get most things delivered to Sweetgrass Montana and then drive down and pick them up. That said, I have just noticed Canadian online tire stores now selling a a reasonable price so may now be buying them in Canada.

It is a fact that Suburban is a rip off on shipping. He charges you insurance. Insurance for whom? I no longer buy direct from him. You guys keep on looking at the numbers and then hit click. If no-one hits click clowns like him stop the BS. I don't mind the shipping, but don't charge me insurance.

In response to:

Poster: rideaway

Subject: Re: Footpeg lowering kit

Originally Posted By: Lmar

That's why I get most things delivered to Sweetgrass Montana and then drive down and pick them up. That said, I have just noticed Canadian online tire stores now selling a a reasonable price so may now be buying them in Canada.

We have a home in Arizona. I usually have stuff shipped there. Most of the time it is free shipping.

Archived