IGNORED

A new twist- Idea- on helmet deisgn. (?)

SuperG

During my last visit to Cycle gear I ran across this helmet that had a small membrane (finger size) air pump in the chinbar that allowed the cheekpads to be moved to adjust to head shape. It also had a small air release valve as well.

This design gave me an idea , which may already exist.

But wouldn't it be cool if such mechanism could be used to move earcups closer to rider's ear.

Earcups, similar used with standard noise suppressing ear muffs you buy at tool shops.

The cups could have a quality speaker built in.

Once you put on your helmet you can use air membranes or other mechanical means to move the ear cup closer to your ear.

While complete outside noise elimination is not a good idea on motorcycles, but a 25-30 d.b. noise decrease and quality speakers would be awesome.

Has a motorcycle helmet like this made yet?

While complete outside noise elimination is not a good idea on motorcycles, but a 25-30 d.b. noise decrease and quality speakers would be awesome.

Neat idea but earbuds already do this for me and they cost $19.99.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Are you talking about specially fitted earbuds or the box of 200 pair of Maxlite plugs for the same price?

Sounds like a great idea to me. As a design Engineer i deal with great ideas all the time that just don't sell. The hardest part is the marketing.

I installed a pair of military Noise Cancelling in my flip up, No wires , 2 9volt batterys slide in along side the ear cans, I added a mini on-off switch and a stereo jack. Helmet is 6 years old now and still a joy. they do heat up alittle after prolong use if working hard but nice when it's cold out. Batterys will go a few days if I remember to turn off.

CoarsegoldKid

There will be cake, I'm sure this has been thought about by the makers of that helmet you saw. The marketing department head probably doesn't ride a motorcycle where wind noise is a roar. If this design was incorporated my new helmet purchase would likely be decided by it. Ear buds and ear plugs are the current alternatives. I use them. If that's okay with you then I suppose rolling down the window of your cage instead of using the AC is also the logical approach. I'll run the AC thanks. Progress.

Are you talking about specially fitted earbuds or the box of 200 pair of Maxlite plugs for the same price?

Skull Candy Inked earbuds for $19.99.

Ear buds and ear plugs are the current alternatives. I use them. If that's okay with you then I suppose rolling down the window of your cage instead of using the AC is also the logical approach. I'll run the AC thanks. Progress.

Not sure I agree with your analogy. Earbuds do just as good of a job and have the added benefit of listening to music. It seems that if anything, the analogy would work the other way around.

Depends on the helmet/ear. Ear buds not work for everyone.

My shoei helmet is so tight it always pops the earbuds out of my ears, Or nudges it out so I need to remove my helmet and try again.

Ear plugs rest deeper in the ear canal and has no wires so it is not a problem.

Archived