IGNORED

russian airport blast

lawnchairboy

I met some people at international arrivals at SFO recently. People were waiting right at the exit gate as they came out of customs. Cars, vans and truck traffic passed by unimpeded just outside arrivals.

I'm not aware of any screening at any US airport in the "non-sterile", public areas of the facility. Camera's are everywhere however.

Just a matter of time.

I'm not aware of any screening at any US airport in the "non-sterile", public areas of the facility. Camera's are everywhere however.

Just a matter of time.

Yep. In fact, it surprises me that it hasn't happened yet. I frequently pick up my wife at O'Hare IAP's International Terminal, and it has long occurred to me that this is one of those "soft targets" that would be attractive to terrorists. Without having to worry about any physical security barriers, you can enter an area where hundreds of people are within close proximity. If you really wanted to make a special point of targeting passengers arriving from a particular country, it would be fairly easy to do so. However it was executed, it would have a serious negative impact on commercial aviation, as we've seen with past terrorist attacks.

The incident in Russia may cause the U.S. to revamp how it approaches the security of areas that are outside "sterile" zones, but I firmly believe that it's simply a matter of time before we see an attack of this sort, whether it's at an airport, a rail station, or some other unsecured area. It's a reminder of two things: (1) We're each ultimately responsible for keeping alert to ensure our own safety; and (2) despite adhering religiously to point 1, sometimes there's nothing that will save your bacon if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I've often thought about how soft a target the land side of an airport really is. As you said it's just a matter of time before some homicidal maniac gets through. Not much we can really do about it.

Archived