IGNORED

R1200 RT Cruise control problems

Oktay

Hi,

my R1200RT, 2007, has some problems on the cruise control.

some time it works, some time not.

did you had such a problem?

thanks for comments.

Rgds

Oktay

Without giving us enough info - when and what it does- it is hard to tell. Does it cut out and re-engage by it self or just work momentarily and you have to reset it? Does it hold speed?

Try to describe the problem in detail.

I would look the components that turn the cruise OFF, such as :

clutch lever switch, brake lever sw. throttle cable forced back will also deactivate cruise. cruise switch it self.

Here's the BMW diagnostic. It works on my 2010 RT and probably works on the 2007 as well.

1. With the ignition switch OFF, switch on the cruise control.

2. Press and hold the SET button to the SET position and switch on the Ignition switch (SET LIGHT comes on)

3. Release the SET button (LIGHT GOES OFF), move to RESET (Resume) position (LIGHT)

4. Release the button (LIGHT OFF)

4a Switch OFF the cruise control switch (LIGHT ON)

5. Switch the cruise control switch back on (LIGHT OFF)

6. Close throttle. (LIGHT), release throttle. (LIGHT OFF)

7. Pull clutch lever (LIGHT), release clutch lever (LIGHT OFF)

8. Pull front brake lever (LIGHT), release lever (LIGHT OFF)

9. Push foot brake pedal (LIGHT ON), hold for 5 seconds (LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF), release foot brake pedal (LIGHT ON)

10. Rotate rear wheel (LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF/ON)

11. Switch off ignition.

I would suspect the LHS switch assembly before all else.

The switch gear on my RT has been replaced on the LHS due to a turn signal switch problem, however I have seen other switch problems on the cruise switches. Used to work in a BMW shop....

The test shown in a post above is a good starting point, but it may fail to work correctly if the switches are intermittent.

thanks for comments.

this morning i switched on my bike, during CHECK i have got yellow tgriangle warning and SET light a few moments and cruise control not working at all.

before, cruise control was working badly, i mean, i was driving with cruise control,when i stoped or use brake,it was not workinmg again.SET light was off, no chance to put on until i had to switch off ignation and restart again to make it work.

My '08 RT had similar symptoms at about 3K miles. Replacing the switch assembly fixed it (2 yrs. ago, under warranty). Since then I've noticed the same scenario mentioned by several RT riders, including the same fix.

When I got my RT they're were several times I thought I was having the same cruse control problems you list however, one morning while driving to work I tried to engage the cruse and it kept cutting off and then while looking at the switch I can see in the mirror the brake light is on. I hate to admit it but I hope your problem is as simple as mine.

When I got my RT they're were several times I thought I was having the same cruse control problems you list however, one morning while driving to work I tried to engage the cruse and it kept cutting off and then while looking at the switch I can see in the mirror the brake light is on. I hate to admit it but I hope your problem is as simple as mine.

no, i checked several times the brake.

still not working, i have yellow triangle warning during start check.

i think the switch has a problem.

here they asked me 450.euros ( usd.615) for a switch.

I had the same issue on my 02'LT and got the answer here from this forum. The clutch switch needed to be adjusted and with a little patience I was able to get it working.

I love the help that can be found here!

• 2 years later...
Here's the BMW diagnostic. It works on my 2010 RT and probably works on the 2007 as well.

1. With the ignition switch OFF, switch on the cruise control.

2. Press and hold the SET button to the SET position and switch on the Ignition switch (SET LIGHT comes on)

3. Release the SET button (LIGHT GOES OFF), move to RESET (Resume) position (LIGHT)

4. Release the button (LIGHT OFF)

4a Switch OFF the cruise control switch (LIGHT ON)

5. Switch the cruise control switch back on (LIGHT OFF)

6. Close throttle. (LIGHT), release throttle. (LIGHT OFF)

7. Pull clutch lever (LIGHT), release clutch lever (LIGHT OFF)

8. Pull front brake lever (LIGHT), release lever (LIGHT OFF)

9. Push foot brake pedal (LIGHT ON), hold for 5 seconds (LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF), release foot brake pedal (LIGHT ON)

10. Rotate rear wheel (LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF/ON)

11. Switch off ignition.

Ok so what does it mean when step 10 fails to turn light off?

All other test work as stated.

Afternoon psptpr

You resurrected an old thread (should really start your own thread on YOUR problem)

First off, what are you working on?

The light shouldn't go completely off, just flash on & off as you turn the rear wheel.

If it doesn't do that (flash off & on) then suspect a problem with the rear wheel sensor speed signal NOT reaching the Cruise Control unit over the CAN or some other reason the Cruise Control isn't processing the speed signal. (might depend on the year of RT your are working on)

Just a comment that might help.

I've had had a non start on gear problem for many thousands of miled (40,000 or more) bikes now on 86,000 I had a cruise not engage issue some 20,000 or so miles ago, diagnosed clutch switch but new one didn't fix. Cruise started working a few thousand miles later so I ignoref the non start in gear issue untill now when the cruise packed up again on tour in France when I could have found it useful.

Bottom line, after 5 hours at dealer they found the clutch lever pivot pin to be worn. Lever all floppy, new pin fixed it!

There is a plastic / PTFE? sleeve on the pin that wears. £7 ukp for a new one.

Hth

\v/

My 2006 RT had intermittent Cruise Control issues at about 120k miles. Cruise would shut off after riding over certain types of road bumps. Over a period of more than a year, this got worse. I found that holding the clutch lever DOWN manually would eliminate the problem.

Began chasing the clutch switch. There are two clutch switches (can hear each of them click when pulling clutch lever with engine off and careful listening).Turned out the small allen screw holding the cruise control switch to the handlebar lever mount had loosened a tiny bit. Tightening the mounting screw eliminated the fault.

Access to this switch is by removing the two black plastic lower clutch lever cover screws. These and switch mounting screw are reached from below.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe this step checks the input of the speed sensor.

The Cruise control needs to see speed reference to operate properly as well as it has a minimum speed to engage.

I just did this test on my 2012. If the test is the same then my bike failed step one. I suspect a bad switch on the switch block.

Morning 6speedTi

If it was a (wheel) speed sensor that should also light the ABS dash warning light as the ABS system positively needs both front & rear wheel speed inputs to function.

If no ABS failure warning then probably the wheel speed sensors are working OK & the loss of speed signal is on the CAN, or in speed data processing upstream of the ABS controller.

lacofdfireman

So I think from what I have read here that the Servo Brakes are a no go... Ok I will have to look at later model years or either an FJR or a C14.

I like the RT the best but not sure I will be able to find a non Servo model for under $8500 which will be my limit for a bike.... Probably lean towards the FJR...

Archived