IGNORED

Michelin Truck Tires?

DaveTheAffable

DaveTheAffable

I want to buy some tires for my Chevy Tahoe. Strictly highway use, and occasional towing a 5000lb trailer. I'm hearing good things about Michelin LT tires. I love my PR2's. Any experience with Michelin truck tires?

Suggestion

This tire receives good reviews from people on an RV site I visit. They like it for the long life, good handling and quiet ride. A bit pricey compared to some brands.

Dave,

I cover 3 states for my company and have driven 7 Tahoes to 100K and I can tell you that Michelin and Bridgestone are the tires of choice. They will serve you very well!

We have the LTX M/S on the Tacoma. They seem fine, better than the oem Dunlop tires in every respect. Maybe about 14k miles on them at this point.

Dave, when it comes to tires I usually refer to Consumer Reports as my starting point in an attempt to get objective info. While I still consider subjective opinions valid it should be pointed out that there are so many variables as to what would make a good choice of tire for you based on your specific parameters. Although you may be driving the same vehicle in basically the same application your driving style and concerns may be different than say mine. There are trade offs to consider so it's not as simple as just choosing the top rated tire.

CR's latest report on light truck tires (I'm talking all season here - I run both all season and make the switch to winter tires even though my truck is a 4x4) summarizes their testing of 20 tires. Their scoring ranged from a low of 58 points to 80 points with the Michelin LTX M/S sitting 5th with 67 points.

My Honda Ridgeline came equipped with LTX's and when it came time to replace them I opted for Yokohama Geolander H/T's which fell into the 6th place with the same 67 points as the LTX's. Why? Apart from the fact that the Geo.'s were about $50 less per tire, they had a much better than average score in the noise catergory. The LTX's rated average. The Ridgeline was tagged (again in CR) with having road noise issues. My experience bares this out so I was curious to explore ways to reduce this (otherwise I was okay with the performance with the stock LTX's). I suspect road noise isn't an issue with your truck so this category is probably not that big an issue for you. What might be an issue for you is hydroplaning or wet braking as empty pickups tend to be susceptible to both. It was for me in my previous truck, a Dodge Ram. The LTX rated much above average in dealing with hydroplaning (the only one out of the 20 tires to rate this high) but were rated as only average in the wet braking category.

CR identifies 10 categories in their tire test including:

Dry Breaking; Wet Braking; Handling; Hydroplaning; Snow Traction; Ice Braking; Ride Comfort; Noise; Rolling Resistance; Tread Life. It's an interesting read. Most libraries carry CR if you're interested in reading the report in full. Let us know how you make out.

I have these on my Tacoma, they are quieter and more comfortable than the LTX's.

I have a bit of exposure to the car industry. Can't beat Michelin for longevity and value.

The source I have used with good success has been Tire Rack. They have an extensive consumer feedback regarding many tires that I would consider. Dig a little deeper and they test the tires themselves on a test track as well. Because Tire Rack carries most brands the bias seems fairly benign. Also the customer feedback tells of positive and negative experiences in some 14 categories. This has served me well for over twenty years of tire purchases. All the tires of each category are ranked based on feedback overall and in each category, that is to say if one attribute such as wet traction or quite operation is more important to you, these can be sorted to bring up a leading tire for your needs.Whether you buy from them or not the research is valuable.

I don't work for Tire Rack or have any financial interest other than being a satisfied customer.

I am driving a 2000 Dodge Ram Quad-cab and am about 20K into my 2nd set of LTX M/Ss. I put a set on the truck at about 30K when one of the factory tires blew out and 1 other was looking bad. That set got me to 95K and probably had another 5K left but winter was coming and I didn't want to take chances. They are tough, but ride smooth and quiet.

I went through the CR ratings before buying my last set to see what else was out there and overall, the LTX M/S was as good or better than most in just about every category. I especially liked the wet and snow/ice handling ratings.

Costco had a deal going so I order a set through them and get the lifetime balance/rotations and they fill em with Nitrogen.

Good luck with your shopping.

LTX M/S for the past 40k miles, mostly highway on Ford F-150. About 5k of that is towing a flatbed trailer with bikes or equipment, truck handles much better than with the stock tires -- but I changed out the shocks too.

Balance and rotate every 8k at Sam's Club. Would take a lot of convincing to talk me into a different tire.

My original Ram 1500 (2004) Mich. tires were replaced after 85,000 miles still with tread... Guess I can't complain about that except for price 300.00 each so I went to Firestone...

+1 on the LTX M/S2s

I put four on my wife's 2002 Tahoe about 4,000 miles ago. It feels like a different vehicle. They're quiet, "soft", and have easily handled the modest snow we have had here in Cincinnati this winter.

Yeeha! Stephen

+ another one for the LTX M/S2s...

Had them on my big Ford Club Wagon (the church bus lookin' 15 pass. window van)

And on my Titan... Luv em'.

I have also put a lot of miles on LTX M/S and been very happy with their performance. I bought a different SUV with some other "premium" brand tires on it and I can't wait to get rid of them.

Archived