IGNORED

British Motorcycles - for the faint of heart - a hoot

BarOne

Nice :thumbsup:.

Sometimes, mainly after a couple of Fuller's 1845's ;) , I long for those simple and greasy fingered days. Every week, we continually honed our skills, bringing out feeler gauges, wood handled screwdrivers and BSW spanners to keep that old iron running "just right" :).

Then, sanity returns :rofl:. Especially after I ride the RT for 600 miles and then just put it away without touching a tool!

A week later, bring it out again, check the tyres/pressures and the oil before venturing out for another 2/300 miles!

I can't say I am nostalgic for anything manufactured before 12V electrical systems and solid-state ignitions. Carbs are OK.

The writing was on the wall for the Brit bikes by the mid-1960's. In September 1965, I rode a Honda CB92 Benly (125cc twin) from London to Istanbul, equipped with the OEM tool kit, a tire pump, a patch kit, a pair of tire irons, and a bottle of 80W gear lube for the chain. Apart from a bunch of flat tires due to terrible road conditions in Greece, and the occasional chain adjustment, zero maintenance. People familiar with Brit bikes couldn't believe it.

In September 1965, I rode a Honda CB92 Benly (125cc twin) from London to Istanbul, equipped with the OEM tool kit, a tire pump, a patch kit, a pair of tire irons, and a bottle of 80W gear lube for the chain. Apart from a bunch of flat tires due to terrible road conditions in Greece, and the occasional chain adjustment, zero maintenance.

Wow. Any chance you have a ride tale from the journey? I'd love to read it. Even just some pictures would be cool.

ShovelStrokeEd

I remember looking with disdain on all the little Honda 305's and smaller bikes whizzing around my neighborhood whilst changing yet another holed piston on my '66 Lightening. Looked with even stronger disdain while trying for 1/2 hour to kick start my '67 XLCH with its magneto ignition and lawn mower carb. Then I got my Kaw 500 triple. Then I learned about handling or the lack thereof.

Those Kaws were one of the fastest things around at the time. Too bad they had that hinge in the middle. As cantankerous as they can be, I still have a soft spot for those sixties Triumphs.

Archived