IGNORED

Mounting a Nuvi 550

aterry1067

Hi all. I just picked up a Nuvi 550, and was wondering how most others mount it to an R1100RT. Is the suction cup in font of the tank cap enough? Or are there more things that need funds? I've seen some ideas, but not much specific to the nuvi 550 (mostly zumos or street pilots).

Hoping to find the least expensive (but still functional) route possible, and I'm pretty handy around the house so making it myself is feasible.

I will be using the suction cup for a little while, but would hope to find something more permanent, and preferably a hardwired cradle.

Thanks!

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Don't have a Garmin but, mine is in a Ram mount off of one of the handlebar mount screws. It allows side to side and fore to back adjustability.

Photo question: PAX?

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Yeah, that's the one. Make sure it comes with a new socket head cap screw for the new length. It's on the order of plus 20mm, maybe a bit less, since it can't sit inside the spot face hole on the handlebar.

HM3 Daughter is stationed there. Going to have to get back there for a visit. Hoping the crab cakes down that way are as good as they are at Woody's in North East (I think).

I've got mine on that same mirror mounted RAM mount. Works great, but I had to file down one side to get it to fit just right on my 11RS. RAM actually makes a variety of attachments that are worth considering, depending on your tastes. Go to Ram-mount.com and look around, they've got a great website. Also, I've seen/heard of folks use the suction cup on the tach, or speedo glass, with apparent success.

I used the suction cup mount from Garmin on my first Nuvi 550. The clip and ball joint separated on a rough road and I watched the GPS bounce down the road in my rear view mirror. I've got a RAM mount now and no problems. Built an accessory shelf out of aluminum plate that I mounted above the instruments...works great for the GPS and radar detector.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will be putting a RAM mount on order soon. Sorry to hear about yours Don. I figured the little clamp would be the first to let go, but was thinking the ball joint couldn't hold much. I'll heed the advice.

74c5, the crab cakes are great, depending on where you go. Mom-n-pop places have the best, of course. There's also some great riding in the area.

Thanks,

Did you have to mention the CRAB CAKES.I miss the Fells Point crab cakes,and Big Berthas Mussels.

Anyway I tried the suction cup on the tach lens...it worked but the whole ride was spent wondering if it would fall off.

Archived