IGNORED

Anyone have experience with Works shocks?

K9_RN

Hello all. Im close to buying 2011 RT. Trouble is my stubby legs. I need to lower the bike some. The dealer says Works makes a shock that will lower the seat height 1.5 inches and can keep ESA (if I opt for ESA, jury is still out on that one). One dealer told me they can do custom Ohlins, then he sorta went back on that saying Works is a better deal but wouldnt say much about what he based his decision on. Anyone with and advise?? Thanks all.

ps I have been reading many of the posts on this site over the last week or so and have to say I have not seen a nicer group of people on the web. Most other sites have snarkey comments and an overall negative feel to them. You should all be proud!

Kelly

I believe my bike was the first R1200RT (2006) that Works Performance created the shock for. In my case it included a 1" lowering. The work was performed for the original owner, located in North Carolina. I have been very happy with the shocks and have never had to do any work on them.

DaveTheAffable
Most other sites have snarkey comments and an overall negative feel to them. You should all be proud!

Kelly

Well sometimes we are a little snippy, but RARELY snarkey. :wave: After all, my forum name does not bode well with rudeness.

As for Works shock, I had a 1" lower on my K75RT. I was happy with it for several years until I sold the K75.

If I had it to do over again I would:

Still remove the ESA, as I did.

Get a brand other than Works, probably Ohlins.

Any of them can build you a lowered shock, and I believe there are now more co's offering to use your ESA components and build you an ESA unit.

I had Works rebuild my ESA shocks & couldn't be happier with the results.

I like the ESA system but the factory units pretty much gave out earlier then expected. Sent them to Works & what came back are noticeably improved over oem. No comparison; really make a (positive) difference.

If you go down this road talk to Tom Edison (honest) @ Works; he walked me thru the process & was very helpful in determining the initial setup, outlining the time table and explaining the details. Nice guy to deal with.

I assume that you mean that even the factory low shocks are still too high?? Anyway, I lowered my non ESA 2005 RT about one inch with Works Performance units front and rear. I cut about 1 1/4 inches off the side stand so the bike didn't stand too vertical, and I carry a 2X4 wedge in the bottom of the side case in case I need to put the bike on the center stand. The rear shock leaked at the end of the first season, so I had to send it back to Works for repairs. They fixed the leak at no cost and it has performed perfectly ever since (another four years).

Neil W

I like the ESA system but the factory units pretty much gave out earlier then expected. Sent them to Works & what came back are noticeably improved over oem. No comparison; really make a (positive) difference.

If you go down this road talk to Tom Edison (honest) @ Works; he walked me thru the process & was very helpful in determining the initial setup, outlining the time table and explaining the details. Nice guy to deal with.

Being a NOOB to the ESA. Works makes a rebuild for the ESA shocks and you are still able to use the electronic system?

That would be sweet!

Just wondering how much this will set me back as I have told the wife this is the last bike.....:)

Being a NOOB to the ESA. Works makes a rebuild for the ESA shocks and you are still able to use the electronic system?

That would be sweet!

Just wondering how much this will set me back as I have told the wife this is the last bike.....:)

They essentially take the servo motors and such off your OEM struts and graft them onto new struts of theirs. Obviously, your struts actually have to be in good working order (except the spring/shock absorber components) when you send them to Works.

"Being a NOOB to the ESA. Works makes a rebuild for the ESA shocks and you are still able to use the electronic system?

That would be sweet!

Just wondering how much this will set me back as I have told the wife this is the last bike.....:)"

If I remember correctly, you order the shocks from Works (they're good about walking you through the process; type of riding you do, weight, etc...) then they call you when all the parts are in for your shocks (read when it's your turn).

At that point you send them your shocks, thus minimizing bike down time. Oh, Works took my credit card info. when I ordered but didn't actually put it through until shipped. The whole thing took 10 days, start to finish. YMMV

Mine are about two years old & I think cost around $1,200 at that time.

Thanks all for taking the time to reply. I see that Wilbers also has a shock that they fit to the BMW ESA system. You send everything to one of the few factory trained shops in the USA and they fit the shock to the BMW electronic parts and send them back to you. Sounds like a lot to go through. Saw it here http://www.wilbers.de/en/wesa/wesa.php. All prices are in Euros and the english is not quite proper. I dont see what looks like US based site for them. Hmmm. Makes me wonder.

Neil, yes the factory lowered bike is still a smidge too tall. But, the real deal breaker with that is the seat. It is HARD, and has edges that dig into you. I sat on it for a few minutes and I was uncomfortable. Cant imagine a day log ride! So I am trying to figure out how to keep a comfortable ride and enough toe reach so I dont topple over.

What to do, what to do??

Kelly

...and one other, I believe it's HyperPro, but don't quote me on that. In both cases I believe you need to talk with with someone at a shop that sells them. Both are reputable manufacturers.

"Being a NOOB to the ESA. Works makes a rebuild for the ESA shocks and you are still able to use the electronic system?

That would be sweet!

Just wondering how much this will set me back as I have told the wife this is the last bike.....:)"

If I remember correctly, you order the shocks from Works (they're good about walking you through the process; type of riding you do, weight, etc...) then they call you when all the parts are in for your shocks (read when it's your turn).

At that point you send them your shocks, thus minimizing bike down time. Oh, Works took my credit card info. when I ordered but didn't actually put it through until shipped. The whole thing took 10 days, start to finish. YMMV

Mine are about two years old & I think cost around $1,200 at that time.

I agree with both of Irishmike's posts. In fact, I think I bought mine after reading his (or someone else's post) about Works. They were great to work with and I had minimum down time. (I kept the stock height, just got the ESA replacements built to my err. . *custom* weight ;)

Well, since I appear to be the only one going to show up with a rather different experience, let me explain my previous comments somewhat.

First Works: I have no desire to drag anyone back through the details of our Works experience, but the summary is that initial delivery was promised in 3 weeks, and took 12. The initial shocks were way out of spec (both bikes), and had to go back. Due to inaccurate advice (I have it in writing) we initially configured with ring pre-load adjusters. We had them add on the hydraulic adjusters on the rebuild. The rebuilds came in with mis-configured hydraulic lines (both bikes), and need to go back again. The details are locatable in posts on this board that you can search up if you are so minded. I was about convinced that ours was a one-off experience, but then someone posted a similar saga last summer that sounded oh so the same.

The Works shocks for the RTs include only front preload adjustment by ring; and rear preload and rebound damping adjustment. That is to say they lack front compression and rebound adjustment, and rear compression adjustment as compared to other aftermarket shocks.

My conclusions: I think the rebuilt shocks are reasonable, although I wish mine were one spring stiffer yet. Works customer service and performance seems spotty. Some report good results, others not so much. I've gone back and forth as to whether the missing adjustments are needed or not. I think they would have helped.

ESA, or no:

Generally the feeling on this board is that with a well built shock you really shouldn't need ESA. A rear hydraulic pre-load adjuster will allow you to manage the load transitions you will experience and is minimal hassle. There are a number of horror stories on this board of ESA controllers locking up and requiring replacement. If I understand correctly, these run several thousand dollars. I think over $3000 has been reported several times.

But, frankly, the biggest problem I have with ESA is that you have no ability to dial in the suspension to your needs. You take BMWs presets and that's that. Now, with the Works shock, as I understand it, it gets better. You can still adjust the ring adjuster to set a baseline for pre-load, and moreover the shock is built to your load specs to begin with. But still, I prefer being able to control more precisely how the shock is set.

I would inquire with Works, Wilbers and Hyperpro what adjustments you will be able to make and how you can make them with both ESA and non-ESA offerings. And with Ohlins regarding their non-ESA shock. Get price quotes and options from each and then decide.

My personal opinion after nearly 4 years of reading the comments on this board: Get Ohlins and dump the ESA.

Works Performance has made several shocks for me. Don't know about the specific application for R1200rt but they have always been helpful, knowledgeable, make a good product and they will rebuild them.

Good people

Thanks all for taking the time to reply. I see that Wilbers also has a shock that they fit to the BMW ESA system. You send everything to one of the few factory trained shops in the USA and they fit the shock to the BMW electronic parts and send them back to you. Sounds like a lot to go through. Saw it here http://www.wilbers.de/en/wesa/wesa.php. All prices are in Euros and the english is not quite proper. I dont see what looks like US based site for them. Hmmm. Makes me wonder.

For Wilbers shocks, I recommend Ted Porter's BeemerShop highly. He's tops in my book: very friendly, very informative, not pushy about selling you something. Give him a shout if you have any questions about Wilbers.

Neil, yes the factory lowered bike is still a smidge too tall. But, the real deal breaker with that is the seat. It is HARD, and has edges that dig into you. I sat on it for a few minutes and I was uncomfortable. Cant imagine a day log ride! So I am trying to figure out how to keep a comfortable ride and enough toe reach so I dont topple over.

What to do, what to do??

I have a 2010 R12RT with the low seat option, yet cannot flatfoot with both feet down still. When I come to a stop, it is almost always with putting one foot down (and which foot would depend on the slant of the road), and I often slide off the seat to the foot-down side a little (and sometimes a lot), as well.

To improve reach, perhaps narrowing the seat in the front would help. Someone like Rick Mayer may be able to help you with this.

Good luck!

---John.

Archived