IGNORED

i got the apple

Kathy R

With a lot of help from my friends here, especially Mr Knapp, I bought a Mac Book Pro 13" today. I will pick it up, loaded with my info from the old Think Pad, on Sunday evening. My first Apple class is scheduled.

Thank you to all who gave opinions and suggestions. I am most grateful.

:)

In 20 years I've never experienced a crash or virus. Perhaps it has been the security umbrella of the mortgage industry and my prior IT folks. In the last year I began to worry that my clean record would be sullied.

I am getting a big monitor for all day viewing. I got the wireless keypad and the Magic Trackpad. I opted for the IWORKS, but will add MSOFFICE, if need be.

Appleseeds told me iworks is seemless with folks using office, so long as I send docs "as excel", "as word", "as powerpoint". We shall see.

If my eyes are glazed over at our next meeting you'll know I drank the fruity punch.

There is no need for MSOffice unless for some odd reason you require the latest .docx etc file form rather than just .doc.

Open Office, a Sun program now from Oracle, is FREE and does all the normal functions of any office suite. I use it on both Apple and Microsoft OS portables- works well on either. Try it before you pay Microsoft any $ for MSOffice

There are a few advantages to the Microsoft platform mostly having to do with file management options, multi tasking and the huge variety of program available. But there is little doubt the OS X is a lot more trouble free for a typical user and you don't need aftermarket utility programs to scrub registries and protect the thing. However, with Security Essentials, Microsoft has pretty much removed the need for aftermarket AV/spyware stuff. Replacing Norton and other obsolete, resource consuming protection programs with Security Essentials is useful.

Open Office, a Sun program now from Oracle, is FREE and does all the normal functions of any office suite. I use it on both Apple and Microsoft OS portables- works well on either.

Until Apple relocated the JRE files with the last "update".

May need to use NeoOffice until Oracle gets things sorted out.

I picked it up last night and am S L O W L Y getting a handle on this contraption. I'm already missing my Ctl C and V. It's just going to take some time. I DO like that feel of it. The battery life is NICE. The class last night was brief. I'll need to get signed up for some regular sessions and save myself some cuss money.

I picked it up last night and am S L O W L Y getting a handle on this contraption. I'm already missing my Ctl C and V. It's just going to take some time. I DO like that feel of it. The battery life is NICE. The class last night was brief. I'll need to get signed up for some regular sessions and save myself some cuss money.

You'll find yourself cursing the slightly different interface for a while, then it will seem natural to you. Even though Microsoft stole the look and feel of the Apple interface, they did improve on it in some respects. Give it a few days and you'll be fine.

Tim, you never fail me :grin:

Toad, THANK YOU! I knew that at one time, long ago. If you knew me you'd realize why I'm drawn to the button labeled CONTROL. :rofl:

Mike, I'm getting good tips here and there on the tutorials. The classes will do me a lot of good. I learn best when someone shows me what to do or when I hit a wall and ask a question right at that moment.

Due to my impatience I'm typically whiney when confronted with new technology. The cuss jar is jiggling with quarters. ;)

Kathy,

One other piece of advice...clicking the 'x' does not close a program, just the visible window. You can either click the title and select Quit, or use Command-Q to quit the application.

Other than that, just substitute the command key for Ctrl-anything and you're usually find it works.

Thank Mike. While in Safari/Internet Explorer I'm really at a loss as to where things go when I minimize them or left red x them.

I open Safari/Internet browser

I go somewhere on the internet

I get interrupted and have to open something else in safari/ internet

What pulldown screen and directive should I be using in order to keep the previous page alive somewhere on my screen? It seems that it dies and I have to go find it again. (mumble mumble)

If you use the red x, you've closed the window. It's gone. You can probably pull it up again by looking into your history.

When you minimize, windows go to your Dock, to the right of the right-hand separator. (Unless you're one of those perverse people who use a vertical dock.) In your Dock, on the far right, you have the trash can. Minimized windows should be to the left of the trash can.

Alternatively, use Expose. More here.

AdventurePoser
With a lot of help from my friends here, especially Mr Knapp, I bought a Mac Book Pro 13" today. I will pick it up, loaded with my info from the old Think Pad, on Sunday evening. My first Apple class is scheduled.

Thank you to all who gave opinions and suggestions. I am most grateful.

:)

I was always a PC person...right up until the time I bought an IMac-mostly to process my photography...I've never looked back. Next stop, a 13" Macbook Air...

Enjoy the new Mac!

Steve

Thank Mike. While in Safari/Internet Explorer I'm really at a loss as to where things go when I minimize them or left red x them.

What pulldown screen and directive should I be using in order to keep the previous page alive somewhere on my screen? It seems that it dies and I have to go find it again. (mumble mumble)

I find it easier to open a new tab, rather than minimizing. Give it a shot!

I find it easier to open a new tab, rather than minimizing. Give it a shot!

Perfect. NEW TAB works for me. I'm going to seriously have to sit still and read these books and do some more tutorials.

If you use the red x, you've closed the window. It's gone. You can probably pull it up again by looking into your history.

When you minimize, windows go to your Dock, to the right of the right-hand separator. (Unless you're one of those perverse people who use a vertical dock.) In your Dock, on the far right, you have the trash can. Minimized windows should be to the left of the trash can.

Alternatively, use Expose. More here.

Thanks Greg. I see them now. My dock is getting longer and longer :grin:

Although Safari comes bundled with Mac OS, you might want to take a look at Firefox and Google Chrome browsers. Firefox 3.6 for Mac OS is much faster than for Windows/Linux, and Firefox 4.0 should become a production release real soon now. I prefer Chrome because it uses screen space so efficiently, but it is somewhat spare out of the box.

Having watched Windows users struggle with Mac OS for years, I think you will find that the biggest "problem" to adjust to is Apple's (read Steve Jobs') intransigence about permitting windows to be resized only from the bottom right corner.

I don't remember if it's a default setting, but you can set the behavior of the top of a window to minimize (to the dock) with double-click. This is the opposite behavior from Windows (maximize), but one that I prefer.

Also, if you have multiple windows open within the same application, i.e. two Safari windows, you switch between those windows with Command-~ (tilde), as opposed to switching between applications with Command-Tab.

If you've minimized the windows, just restore them from the 'toolbar'.

I second Selden's recommendation regarding browsers. I use both Firefox and Chrome, although I recommend staying away from Firefox 4 beta for now. It still has some annoying quirks. I use Chrome most of the time.

Although Safari comes bundled with Mac OS, you might want to take a look at Firefox and Google Chrome browsers. Firefox 3.6 for Mac OS is much faster than for Windows/Linux, and Firefox 4.0 should become a production release real soon now. I prefer Chrome because it uses screen space so efficiently, but it is somewhat spare out of the box.

Having watched Windows users struggle with Mac OS for years, I think you will find that the biggest "problem" to adjust to is Apple's (read Steve Jobs') intransigence about permitting windows to be resized only from the bottom right corner.

I don't remember if it's a default setting, but you can set the behavior of the top of a window to minimize (to the dock) with double-click. This is the opposite behavior from Windows (maximize), but one that I prefer.

I appreciate all these tips ya'll are giving me about other browsers and such. I'm going to revisit this thread at some point, when I'm ready to explore more.

I just got done playing with settings for everything and also reading up on Expose. I"m starting to drink the kool-ade and like it. I've got ALEX talking to me...pretty darn funny stuff to have a voice in my laptop. Nigel wasn't too sure about it though... :grin:

Also, if you have multiple windows open within the same application, i.e. two Safari windows, you switch between those windows with Command-~ (tilde), as opposed to switching between applications with Command-Tab.

If you've minimized the windows, just restore them from the 'toolbar'.

I second Selden's recommendation regarding browsers. I use both Firefox and Chrome, although I recommend staying away from Firefox 4 beta for now. It still has some annoying quirks. I use Chrome most of the time.

I wrote down a bunch of CTL this or that and COM this or that directives on a cheat sheet (handwritten - absurd I know) Seriously, the people behind this are dweeb monsters. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but holy cow it has layer upon layer of *this does that* button pushing. I'm glad my job doesn't take up my entire day, because I need hours to play with this thing. :lurk:

I learned a lot tonight. Thanks peeps :wave:

Oh my god

I pushed a button and my laptop took a picture of me

Did you ever find yourself straddling a puddle

Knowing that stepping forward you'd keep your balance

and stepping back

well, who wants to do that

Nice n Easy Rider
Oh my god

When it starts doing that without you pushing a button you'll know you're in trouble. :grin:

Oh my god

When it starts doing that without you pushing a button you'll know you're in trouble. :grin:

You mean like this ?

I wrote down a bunch of CTL this or that and COM this or that directives on a cheat sheet (handwritten - absurd I know) Seriously, the people behind this are dweeb monsters. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but holy cow it has layer upon layer of *this does that* button pushing. I'm glad my job doesn't take up my entire day, because I need hours to play with this thing. :lurk:

ALL computer user interfaces rely on learned behavior, and you have a lot to learn/unlearn. Fifteen years ago, I was intimidated by the Unix vi text editor, now "escape :wq" seems intuitive. A few months ago, while playing with an iPad in a store, I spent more than 5 minutes trying to figure out how to quit iTunes and get back to the main menu before giving up entirely. I was ready to throw the damned thing through a window.

You just bought a new smart phone too, didn't you? More learning... :wave: This is what upstate NY winters are for.

Oh my god

You should post it (assuming of course, that you were decent at the time).

Kathy, I switched to mac four years ago and have no regrets. I don't know what they've shown you so far but....

If you open Safari and right click in the gray field of the toolbar at the top of the page, you'll open a "customize toolbar" window. Now you can add or remove toolbar features. Just drag and drop, arrange it any way that pleases you. My favorite tool is the large A icon that increases or reduces the font size. I really miss it when I'm using a windoze machine at work.

Seldon...

This is what upstate NY winters are for.

This is cutting into my other goofing off activities! :D

Mike, The photo made it's way to ICHAT, but I don't yet know how to retrieve it and bring it to Smugmug. I'm going to to take that Iphoto icon off the dock. Every other day I forget what it does and I click on it. I'm always shocked to see me. It's like spying on yourself! :grin:

Mark, I'm clicking on stuff like there is no tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

Today my bargain ASUS 23" monitor came. Not thinking, I called Apple Support when I had a problem with the ASUS install. Immeditatly after I asked my question, my apple person put me on hold for ONE minute and came back after "reading a forum page on that ASUS issue" and finding "the ASUS manual on line". She then proceeded to help me figure out what to do. IT WASN'T HER HARDWARE! I'm very pleased with these folks.

When your bank account has recovered, you may want to invest in an external drive to use for Time Machine backups. If you have ever used (and hated) backup software, you're in for a treat. Review of Apple's Time Machine Backup Software

Time Machine Review: Apple's Time Machine is a backup application included with OS X (10.5.x or later). Time Machine was a revolutionary approach to backup when it was first introduced. The revolutionary part wasn't the backup process, or how creative the user interface was, or even how well Time Machine pruned old backups. All these things had been seen before in backup applications. What made Time Machine a winner was that it was so easy to set up and use that people actually used it. That's the revolution. Mac users are actively backing up their computers, without having to think about the backup process.

Thanks for that reminder.

I've got an old MAXTOR external hard drive that I've never used. Got it many years ago for 1/2 price, which likely means retail :/

The Apple Store folks said to bring it in and they'd configure it or some such thing; make sure it works for me.

Yeah, I see that little TimeMachine icon on top of the screen. I took it off the dock until I could get used to all these icons.

With my luck I should have been playing craps all these years.

Archived