IGNORED

Times are tough so no more loaners

longjohn

I was just at LB BMW for some 24k service parts and inquired about the cost of that service and whether they would provide a loaner if I had them do it (as they always had) and they said no, not unless you purchased one there. btw they would charge 480 labor plus 160 parts incl tax.

The cost sounds about right, and is a strong incentive to find a tech day. I probably won't try to tackle a clutch replacement or transmission rebuild, if either is ever needed, but almost anything else gets done at home, where I at least know who did it if something isn't done right.

I had my bike in for service two days ago and was offered demo rides on anything in the showroom and a used bike to go to lunch while I was waiting and drinking their coffee. Possibly just a quiet day or they figured I had the money and a forgiving wife.

---

was offered demo rides on anything in the showroom and a used bike to go to lunch

Yeah, LB sold most of their loaners, hence, "Times are tough".

was offered demo rides on anything in the showroom and a used bike to go to lunch

So, if there is a rational reason why you couldn't get a loaner, there is no reason to say bad things about a specific dealer on a public forum like this. Times are tough. We need our dealers. Publish positive things about them.

Try Irv Seaver in Orange a great bunch of people there. Did the labor rate include a brake flush? Most dealers reserve they're loaners for bikes purchased at the dlr. some will drop the loaner after the warranty runs out, some take care of you with a loaner because of all the business you bring 'em.

1+ for Seavers, They have given me a loaner every time I go in. Of course, I'm thoughtful enough to ask for a loaner when I make my appointment to Bring My Wallet. Even a short service I get bike. I go play and refill the tank before I bring it back.

Gotta admit, often I've very glad to get back on F800ST after trying something else. But the 800GS.......

So, if there is a rational reason why you couldn't get a loaner, there is no reason to say bad things about a specific dealer on a public forum like this. Times are tough. We need our dealers. Publish positive things about them.

I don't read any of that as "saying bad things about a specific dealer". I read all of these comments as a heads up that if anyone "needs" a loaner when they get service, they may want to use a different dealer. All of the comments are purely informative. He didn't say the dealer sucked, or that they were jerks, or anything negative about them or thier service, simply that they no longer offered loaners and that times are tough, and the other quote simply said they sold their loaners because times are tough.

I realize we need to support our dealers so we can keep them around, but we also must get our moneys worth from our dealers.

It is important to remember that most automotive dealerships no longer offer free loaners either. Although many high end dealers like MB, Lexus, and BMW do still give loaners. And my dealer told me that BMW subsidises the 24hr test ride and loaner bikes programs. If the dealer offers these services and sells the bike after its year of service or so, BMW offsets most of the loss created by selling the bike as used.

So if a bike cost 25k and the loan it or test bike it, then sell it for 21K 10 months later, BMW refunds the dealer about 3K to offset their costs. I dont know if 3K is exactly what they offset or if it is a percentage of the bikes list price or a percentage of the difference between list and what they sold it for used, but I know it is a good amount of offset. So I dont see a valid reason for NOT offering a service to their valued customers.

JMHO

I don't read any of that as "saying bad things about a specific dealer". I read all of these comments as a heads up that if anyone "needs" a loaner when they get service, they may want to use a different dealer. All of the comments are purely informative. He didn't say the dealer sucked, or that they were jerks, or anything negative about them or thier service, simply that they no longer offered loaners and that times are tough, and the other quote simply said they sold their loaners because times are tough.

I realize we need to support our dealers so we can keep them around, but we also must get our moneys worth from our dealers.

It is important to remember that most automotive dealerships no longer offer free loaners either. Although many high end dealers like MB, Lexus, and BMW do still give loaners. And my dealer told me that BMW subsidises the 24hr test ride and loaner bikes programs. If the dealer offers these services and sells the bike after its year of service or so, BMW offsets most of the loss created by selling the bike as used.

So if a bike cost 25k and the loan it or test bike it, then sell it for 21K 10 months later, BMW refunds the dealer about 3K to offset their costs. I dont know if 3K is exactly what they offset or if it is a percentage of the bikes list price or a percentage of the difference between list and what they sold it for used, but I know it is a good amount of offset. So I dont see a valid reason for NOT offering a service to their valued customers.

JMHO

You're right, kmac. I went back and re-read the OP. I was mistaken. That's number 1 for 2011!

Jeeze, Geeze, you blame me for picking on you and here you is mortally chastized in front of everbody! :P

NOT offering a service to their valued customers.

Here's the problem kmac...has your wallet bled enough to qualify :rofl:

CoarsegoldKid
Unfortunately tech days don't happen around here as often as I need them, but I think I know an '05 owner who will help me out.

John, bring it up here. I'll show you how.

Jeeze, Geeze, you blame me for picking on you and here you is mortally chastized in front of everbody! :P

NOT offering a service to their valued customers.

Here's the problem kmac...has your wallet bled enough to qualify :rofl:

Yeah, you must be rubbing off on me.

:rofl:

Did the labor rate include a brake flush? Most dealers reserve they're loaners for bikes purchased at the dlr. some will drop the loaner after the warranty runs out, some take care of you with a loaner because of all the business you bring 'em.

The last brake fluid work they did cost me around $800 so I don't think this included that. I've had several loaners from LB and I didn't buy from them so this change of policy is disappointing.

John, bring it up here. I'll show you how.

Wow, thanks Joe! I've pm'd and emailed Keith and if I don't hear back from him I will probably take you up on it. I'm off next fri, sat, sun.

$800 for a brake juice job is scary. On my F800 it only cost one Hundred dollar. Should be done 2 year interval. Phooey, I'm coming up due again.

In Long Beach BMW's defence, that's a beautiful NEW building [or at least newly renovated] they moved into right before the current economic downturn. I don't pretend to know their financial position, but after forty years in the car business, they look like an 'at risk' dealership to me. In other words, a lot of overhead and like everywhere, not the sales volume they might have been counting on 3 or 4 years ago.

FWIW, I have had nothing but good experiences with Irv Seaver, but lately have been trying to split my business between them and Long Beach, not that that's enough to keep anybody afloat.

Survived-til-now
I was just at LB BMW for some 24k service parts and inquired about the cost of that service and whether they would provide a loaner if I had them do it (as they always had) and they said no, not unless you purchased one there. btw they would charge 480 labor plus 160 parts incl tax.

There may be some other reason for not offering a loaner except to people who purchased their bike from them but it seems a real dumb move to me. Most live some distance from the dealer and having to hang around while the service is done is not an option. My dealer has always offered a loan bike and I have been able to go on to work and pick up my bike on the way home.

My VW dealer now charges for a loan car but i have to say that recognizing times are tough I don't mind that too much. But no loan car or bike and I have to find a dealer that does offer one.

In Long Beach BMW's defence, that's a beautiful NEW building [or at least newly renovated] they moved into right before the current economic downturn. I don't pretend to know their financial position, but after forty years in the car business, they look like an 'at risk' dealership to me. In other words, a lot of overhead and like everywhere, not the sales volume they might have been counting on 3 or 4 years ago.

FWIW, I have had nothing but good experiences with Irv Seaver, but lately have been trying to split my business between them and Long Beach, not that that's enough to keep anybody afloat.

May be that logic works in CA, but market economics would indicate that if they price themselves out like that, they will go out of business. I won't spend that kind of money just because a dealer has a nice place, no matter how good the service is. $800 is a rip.

CoarsegoldKid
Is $800 the average cost for a brake fluid flush & replacement on an R12 bike?

No. It takes one of us about three hours and a couple of beers to remove all the RT tupperware and the fuel tank to get to the servo unit bleed the system and replace the tupperware and tank. So if a pro mechanic not drinking beer or not chasing the kids or dog can do it in three hours at 110 dollars an hour it shouldn't cost more than 375 dollars including platinum BMW brake fluid. I could be wrong.

My first service with brake fluid change (it was a leftover) was $300. I don't know what they do in the 6K that would justify $500. after the first service, it's all mine from now on. I thought $300 was a little pricey, but then I am cheap.

CoarsegoldKid
I thought $300 was a little pricey, but then I am cheap.
Well it is pricey since it doesn't take a certified mechanic to do it. Digging into the tranny or engine takes a certified mechanic in my mind. You sir are not cheap. You are saving money towards the next BMW. That's how I look at it.
I thought $300 was a little pricey, but then I am cheap.
Well it is pricey since it doesn't take a certified mechanic to do it. Digging into the tranny or engine takes a certified mechanic in my mind. You sir are not cheap. You are saving money towards the next BMW. That's how I look at it.

I don't know what digging there is, but the valve clearances are supposed to be checked on the first service. I could have gone to ginas, but they wanted 175+75 for the brake fluid change and I'd have to go 120 miles. For 300 they picked the bike up and dropped it off.

May be that logic works in CA, but market economics would indicate that if they price themselves out like that, they will go out of business. I won't spend that kind of money just because a dealer has a nice place, no matter how good the service is. $800 is a rip.

You are absolutely correct. The dealer [any dealer] has to help themselves and pricing yourself out of the market isn't going to help.

I think at some point the old adage, "it takes money to make money" comes into play.

I am sure it cost the dealer money to offer loaner bikes, but with BMW offering an offset to the dealer for demo bikes {Im sure it applies to loaners as well} the overall cost is not that bad. Offering services to the customer is never cheap, but it is often the special services that we offer that creates return customers.

It is a fine line I think to offer services that bring a customer back, but balance that with services that are just not cost effective.

Loaner bikes seem to be a good investment to me. But I am not a dealer. After a few months or year of service as a loaner, you have a clean well maintained used bike to sell on the dealer floor.

Archived