IGNORED

K1300GT?

AllenW

Just wondering, while wondering around the local BMW dealership I was looking at a 1300GT and it seemed like a pretty nice bike, the salesman advised me the 1600 was replacing this bike and it was no longer made.

He gave me the newer improved spiel on why, but I'm wondering what was actually wrong (if there was) with the 1300 that BMW quit making them????

Seemed like a nice bike for those who think 6 cylinders and more weight wasn't to their liking...??

tia

Al

CoarsegoldKid

BMW perfected the K1300GT so they decided to shake the etch-a-sketch and start all over. You don't really want to know do you?

Probably not... :)

I suppose as usual, we have the sales dept at BMW to thanks for this.

I was almost leaning toward one of them, but I try to stay away from first year bikes and end of model units.

Thanks

Al

I was almost leaning toward one of them, but I try to stay away from first year bikes and end of model units.

Thanks

Al

Trust me when I say this, even though you don't know me, that right there is GREAT advice when it comes to the modern BMW breed.

Just look up my posts if you really want to know or just look at my sig line for the quick version.

After all these years I've had my share of oooops bikes and cars...:)

Wasn't all that good huh...well it looked good anyway..o-well

I'll do a search and see what you went though, thanks.

Still have my heart set on a 2011 RT1200, seems its been out enough that most the weak points are taken care of.

And not to be discontinued for at least a few years..I hope. :)

Al

Trust me when I say this, even though you don't know me, that right there is GREAT advice when it comes to the modern BMW breed.

Just look up my posts if you really want to know or just look at my sig line for the quick version.

Thanks

Al

I agree with Phil's thoughts and share some of the same types of negative experiences with my ex-K1300GT. A 2011 RT? A sweet bike and probably as safe a bet as you will find with a new Beemer. But hopefully you have a conveniently located, competent dealer "just in case".

My K12GT is 2 years old and now has 26K miles on the clock. I had the air box replaced, and updated the cam tension part on BMW’s dime. On my own I fixed the low speed fueling problem, the crappy seat and upgraded the suspension.

The bike handles remarkably well for a 650 pound touring rig and is incredibly comfortable on multiday long distance trips.

Power is plentiful, and my range is right around 240 per tank on average.

All good stuff, right? Still here is the thing; I don’t have the confidence in the K, when it comes to reliability. When I was on my R12RT—never gave it a thought. On the K I keep waiting for the cam chain to skip or for the clutch or gear box to let go.

Recently I purchased the extended warranty for the K; something I usually do not do nor support. And, when I check the valves at 36K, I plan to proactively replace the cam, sprockets and chain with the new set-up.

Look, if the bike gets your heart pumping, then I wouldn’t be put off by what others have to say about their experience; as bad as they are. Go ride one, and then make the decision for yourself.

Cheers!

129087291.jpg

While if I was giving some thought to the 1300 and if it was THE bike for me, I might go for it, but with arthritis in my right foot, weight is a big issue with me, and the K1300 while not as heavy as some, is still noticeably (least on the showroom floor) heavier than the RT1200, and for some odd reason I just want a boxer..:)

But I also like peanut butter on my hamburgers too...:)

Al

My K12GT is 2 years old and now has 26K miles on the clock. I had the air box replaced, and updated the cam tension part on BMW’s dime. On my own I fixed the low speed fueling problem, the crappy seat and upgraded the suspension.

The bike handles remarkably well for a 650 pound touring rig and is incredibly comfortable on multiday long distance trips.

Power is plentiful, and my range is right around 240 per tank on average.

All good stuff, right? Still here is the thing; I don’t have the confidence in the K, when it comes to reliability. When I was on my R12RT—never gave it a thought. On the K I keep waiting for the cam chain to skip or for the clutch or gear box to let go.

Recently I purchased the extended warranty for the K; something I usually do not do nor support. And, when I check the valves at 36K, I plan to proactively replace the cam, sprockets and chain with the new set-up.

Look, if the bike gets your heart pumping, then I wouldn’t be put off by what others have to say about their experience; as bad as they are. Go ride one, and then make the decision for yourself.Cheers!

129087291.jpg

• 2 months later...
boriqua_n_nm

I just got a K1300GT this weekend. After seeing some of my Iron Butt guys with them and soo many miles I know that a BMW would be a great bike. I just came off a GSX1300R (Hayabusa) and I'm very impressed with the K1300GT. Awesome power, comfort and the electronics are all with a push of a button... It is more than I would want and I think it will be a bike I will keep for years to come. K1600GT will be a fenomenal bike as well but I was just not going to wait for it to come out... I"m leaving for Afghanistan and now I"m riding it as much as possible.

Downfalls: The whole GS911 for the oil changes. But oh well it is a BMW not a Suzuki...

Archived