IGNORED

January 2006 Death Valley Ride "Excited Chatter" and route planning thread

graydude

We will take an easy ride and meet up with people in Bakersfield.

So where am I going ? Let's get together Greg and enjoy your neck of the woods. grin.gif

OK, we will be leaving from the Fastrip mini-mart at 10:30, promptly. Please be a little early so I can have a few minutes to brief the riders on the route.

The Fastrip mini-mart is located at:

12851 Rosedale Hwy (corner of Allen Rd. & Rosedale Hwy)

Bakersfield, CA 93312

661-588-2799

The group now includes:

Tank-Bill

JoeG-Joe

Shaman97-Bob & Jackie in the chase car thumbsup.gif

Steve Jones

bmweerman-Cameron+Patti

snc1923-Tom

Don Chilton

Bryan Buckey

RT4ME-Bill

Steve Reinig

Yours truly

If you find yourself running late for some reason, the lunch stop is a place named Bernardio's, located in Inyokern, south side of the road. Sorry, don't have an address, Inyokern is too small to need one. Food is reported by a board member I trust to be an 8 out of 10.

If you are not at the meeting spot, and I have not heard from you, I may wait and send the bunch on ahead.

Our route will be 100% Hwy 178 (Rosedale Hwy "IS" Hwy 178) all the way to 190 at Pannamint Springs. The ride through the Kern River Canyon is spectacular as is the east end after Lake Isabella. After Trona the road gets fun again all the way to Stovepipe Wells. Total miles to Longstreet is 291 from Bakersfield. We should arrive around 6 p.m. with a 1030 departure.

Jackie will have a good time staying pace with us. I am not planning a fast pace, at least not as a group. I will let those that wish to hoon do so, releasing them from the feeling that they must hold back. I will keep a brisk pace though.

That about wraps it up. See you on Friday thumbsup.gif

If I missed someone, please ping me with a PM so I don't miss you in the long list of messages here.

Here is my contact info.

661-599-3553-cell

661-588-9193-home

Looks like we'll be heading west on Tuesday....I think we'er gonna see Joshua Tree NP and stay at the Hotel California Wednesday night......

That leaves all day Thursday to get into trouble.....Any ideas???????

Larry and Louise

You could always head south and west from J-Tree and go up the 79 "Pines-to-Palms" up to the mountains. If you hadn't yet gotten enough twisties in by then and were going to be in the area for a bit, you could ride back out to DV with the Dry Town Crew. We'll be meeting at the Apple Country Restaurant in Santa Ysabel Friday morning at 08:00! grin.gif
Looks like we'll be heading west on Tuesday....I think we'er gonna see Joshua Tree NP and stay at the Hotel California Wednesday night......

That leaves all day Thursday to get into trouble.....Any ideas???????

Larry and Louise

You could always head south and west from J-Tree and go up the 79 "Pines-to-Palms" up to the mountains. If you hadn't yet gotten enough twisties in by then and were going to be in the area for a bit, you could ride back out to DV with the Dry Town Crew. We'll be meeting at the Apple Country Restaurant in Santa Ysabel Friday morning at 08:00! grin.gif

Is Palm Springs between Santa Ysabel and DV maybe we could meet up along the way....

79 between Temecula and Santa Ysabel????????

Thanks

Larry

Jamie,

It looks like this ride is getting started already with the excitement. This is looking to be one more great gathering for all who are able to attend. Well for those folks unable to attend maybe we can post some photos daily so they may also enjoy. I am running some test right now on a new EVDO card on my laptop that can connect at high speed to the internet on the way back from Vegas of Lost wages and it seems to be doing great as my new crazy driving boss is talking on the cell phone and slamming on the brakes every 10 seconds.

If I survive this ride the Snow Loop Ride will be easy even if we have 10 feet thick of Ice. Never again will I ride with this *****bncry.gifbncry.gifeek.gif

Is Palm Springs between Santa Ysabel and DV maybe we could meet up along the way....

79 between Temecula and Santa Ysabel????????

Yes, Palm Springs is pretty much between SY and DV, but I got the hwy wrong out of PS. If you wound up staying in PS you could take a loop SE out of PS and take the CA-74 (not the 79) and go up to Idylwild, then take the 243 back down the other side and the I-10 east back to PS. We're meeting in Santa Ysabel, which is about 90 miles from PS via CA-74 (Pines to Palms hwy), left at CA-371, left at CA-79 down to SY. A few of us are meeting there for b'fast around 08:00 and departing around 09:00. We'll be taking CA-79 back north to S-2 to S-22 (Montezuma Grade, aka "The Glass Elevator") down to the Anza Borrego Desert, then out to the Salton Sea (CA-86, CA-86S) and through Box Canyon (a cut-off between Mecca and the south entrance to J-Tree NP).

If you wanted to meet up en route, good places might be: gas in Mecca (large Arco right off of CA-86/CA-111), the Visitors' Center near the south entrance of J-Tree NP, the Chevron in 29-Palms or the Mexican Restaurant "Ed Chada's" (lunch between noon and 1:00, just a few blocks east of the Chevron).

Jamie

Lunch at El Chada's sounds good......sometime around 12 to 1 on Friday......If I don't see you by 2 I'll meet ya at Longstreet....Graphite 1200RT from the Lone Star State should be easy to spot....Oh, I forgot with enough, luggage for a month. grin.gifgrin.gif

Larry

Since I can't make it for the big weekend, I took off this past weekend (Jan5-7) and rode from the Central Coast area of California to Death Valley. I really hope the weather holds for everyone. This weekend was PERFECT.

Teaser pix here.

Any rider or riders coming from the North that want some company going to Death Valley?

I live in Susanville, Ca. I had planned to take 395 south to Reno, then 80 east to Fallon,Nv. then pick up 95 South to the DV turn off.I was planning on leaving Fri. morning.

I can be flexible if your plans are reachable. The route selected is not very scenic but it is rider friendly and not a lot of traffic.

If interested in meeting up enroute, please advise.

Mat in Susanville

Wednesday, I'm a checkin the list, uh, tire guage, peets coffee... looks like i got everything..........something tells me this is gomnna be a loooooooooooooog day.

tomorrow i'm outa here

anybody riding up from the LA area Friday morning? I was going to slab up 14/395 to 190 but I am very flexible.

I'll be in Mojave for breakfast at a cafe in the middle of town at around 9AM and will be leaving at about 10AM. Dennis is going to meet me there.

If you want to join us your welcome but be advised that I'll have the V-1 "ON" and my KRS needs an Italian tune up. grin.gif

I'm planning on riding through Randsburg, Torna and the Panamint Valley.

FIREBALL ALERT: On Sunday morning, Jan. 15th, between approximately 1:56 and 1:59 a.m. PST (0956 - 0959 UT), a brilliant fireball will streak over northern California and Nevada. It's NASA's Stardust capsule, returning to Earth with samples of dust from Comet Wild 2. Observers along the flight path should have a marvelous view of this rare man-made meteor. Radio signals reflected from the capsule's ionized tail may be heard from a much wider area--hundreds to thousands of miles away. Visit http://spaceweather.com for maps and observing tips.
I haven't checked to see if we will be too far south, hope not.

Edit - we'll be right on the edge of the area where it can be seen

flightpath_big.jpg

thanks for the heads up Killer.

what could be better...full moon nite and a man-made space show. thumbsup.gif

I'll be staying up for this...or....setting my alarm to get up...whichever works. grin.gif

Couchrocket lives right under the flight path and has been alerted. In looking to see where he was I find that it is a bizarre map, I5 seems to end at Bakersfield and is marked as 33 to Sacramento then 299 north of there and 99 in Oregon. I80 doesn't exist at all. It claims to be a Google map, must have been on the history pages except that I15 is complete and I70 is there, they were some of the later interstates to be built.

it is a bizarre map, I5 seems to end at Bakersfield and is marked as 33 to Sacramento then 299 north of there and 99 in Oregon. I80 doesn't exist at all.

They just seem to be leaving off copious Interstate markers. The 33 marking on I5 looks to be where 33 "rides" I5, up around Coalinga. I imagine that's the issue with the 99 markings above, and I think that explains I80, which is clearly there and just not marked, except where 95 creeps in.

Cameron's just gotta get that shaft togeather. Jamie, i have been following that thread closely, just hoping that he will figure it out soon, Alas, but my take off is set in stone due to workee, I will be in Bakersfield thursday nite. If i could be of help, i'd pull an all nighter to get him on the desert hiways of NV.

I was just trying to start the RT to ride it into the the trailer and I have a dead battery. It seemed weak when I got it back from SLC BMW, I think they just let it go flat for 3 months, so I left it on the battery tender over the holidays. No good. The battery is 3.5 years and 96K miles old so that's not too bad but what do I do now? I just looked at LV BMW's web site, they only seem to have the sealed gel type of battery that I don't really want. Anybody got any ideas, maybe somebody knows where I can get an Odyssey in LV? Does Sears make an equivalent to the 1150RT battery? I've used theirs before with a lot of success.

Not only that but the KLR now won't start either, it cranks just fine as always but refuses to fire. A couple of times it ran for a few seconds but that was it. I daren't try the CBR1000!

This sucks!

Our Bakersfield rider group is growing and now includes the following riders. If your name is not on this list and you are planning on riding with us, PLEASE let me know via a PM.

Tank-Bill

JoeG-Joe

Shaman97-Bob & Jackie in the chase car

Steve Jones

bmweerman-Cameron+Patti

snc1923-Tom

Don Chilton

Bryan Buckey

RT4ME-Bill

Steve Reinig

Traveler1-Thor

Jerry

Timmer

Yours truly

I have located a Motel 6 that is 6.8 miles from the meeting spot - Fastrip mini-mart at Rosedale Hwy/Allen Rd. It is any easy ride from where we are meeting and there really isn't nothiing else closer that is reasonable, unless you want to spend big bucks.

Here is the link to the Motel 6. http://tinyurl.com/ay5kf

If you make your reservations online the internet price is only $35.99 plus applicable taxes. You will need to make your own reservations. I hope this helps the group find lodging, sorry I didn't get this together sooner, but we are the "UN" riders, right?

I am also planning a dinner Thursday night at the California Pizza Kitchen for 6 p.m. I have made reservations. This is a great establishment, great food, great service, I gaurantee it. If not, my son-in-law who manages the restaurant, will be on the outs otherwise. I do need a head count by Wednesday for the reservation, so please let me know via PM. This will be a great time to get acquainted, so I hope as many of you can attend. Please RSVP.

The CPK is located at 10150 Stockdale Hwy. and is an easy find from the Motel 6. Reservations are set for 6 p.m.

That about does it for now! WOO-HOO, this is going to be a great weekend! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Bob...

I called Las Vegas BMW and verified what the web site said. Then I called Cycle Gear and they don't stock them. Odyessey's web site says there isn't any dealers in Las Vegas tongue.gif

Mike

russell_bynum

The battery is 3.5 years and 96K miles old so that's not too bad but what do I do now?

Wake up early and steal someone else's battery.

thumbsup.gif

Maybe LV BMW can order the battery you want and have it there waiting when you drive through?

In a case like this I would look for any common Japanese bike battery that fits in the mounting spot. One close is Yuasa YB16AL-A2, that is used in the Yamaha VMax and others. I would put the bike in the trailer with the left tupperware removed and the battery out. Stop by any major bike dealer and find a battery that is more than 14 amps and fits in the place of the stock battery, even if you have to shim it a bit because it is smaller.

thanks Jerry - I will pass on meeting you since I probably won't be able to get out of LA till about 9AM. Besides I doubt if I could keep up with you on my superfast Harley.

Bob...

I called Las Vegas BMW and verified what the web site said. Then I called Cycle Gear and they don't stock them. Odyessey's web site says there isn't any dealers in Las Vegas tongue.gif

Mike

Thanks, I did those things as well. Can't find a Sears cross reference, thanks for the Yuasa suggestion Paul, that may be the answer. I may just break down and get a gel battery if I have to. The bike's in the trailer now with the tupperware still on it and it's getting too darned cold out there to be messing about more this evening.
Anybody got any ideas, maybe somebody knows where I can get an Odyssey in LV? Does Sears make an equivalent to the 1150RT battery? I've used theirs before with a lot of success.
The Yuasa battery for the 1100RT will work just fine, so I am told. Should be easier to find and much less than OEM. Yuasa Part# YuMicron 51913. Sure hope this helps!

Bob, There's another battery that fits oilheads perfectly. Its a Powertron PT20-12. Also I've seen it as a Panasonic, but its the same battery. They're $30. at a battery store here with a discount. I think they're used for some type computer, but they work great in the bikes. Check some battery stores tommorrow. You'll need to drill the hole in the pos. terminal a little bigger for the BMW stud to fit. Good luck.

Bob, There's another battery that fits oilheads perfectly. Its a Powertron PT20-12. Also I've seen it as a Panasonic, but its the same battery. They're $30. at a battery store here with a discount. I think they're used for some type computer, but they work great in the bikes. Check some battery stores tommorrow. You'll need to drill the hole in the pos. terminal a little bigger for the BMW stud to fit. Good luck.
Thanks, guess I better take my drill and an extension cord to Death Valley with me. Should be able to find a battery store in Las Vegas on Friday, LV BMW wants $110 for the gel battery and the lead acid one is apparently not available any more.

Bob...

Contact Standard Batteries in Las Vegas at (702)873-2514. They do stock some Odyssey Batteries and they have other brands. They are located right off of I-15 on Production Court (Craig Exit-east side of I-15).

Mike

A few showers on Sunday, the operative word being few. The bikes will be dirty by then anyhow.

I am not worried about myself and some of the others because we will be riding all weather LTs. My concern is for those on fair weather RT,s. grin.gif

A few showers on Sunday, the operative word being few. The bikes will be dirty by then anyhow.

I am not worried about myself and some of the others because we will be riding all weather LTs. My concern is for those on fair weather RT,s. grin.gif

blush.gif

Touche. Well played, sir. I shall traverse in your wake.

blush.gif

Touche. Well played, sir. I shall traverse in your wake.

I've ridden with you Tom...

Even you can't ride so slow as to stay behind one of those Pachyderms!!! blush.gif

Posted by Doug Quinnell for Steve Reinig:

Steve called me at work just now (actually on the phone with him at the moment !) he wanted me to let Jamie and y'all know that he made it over the Siskiyous OK and is planning to make it to Bakersfield tonight !

Posted by Doug Quinnell for Steve Reinig:

Steve called me at work just now (actually on the phone with him at the moment !) he wanted me to let Jamie and y'all know that he made it over the Siskiyous OK and is planning to make it to Bakersfield tonight !

YOUSER! Steve be burning the oil today. Hope he makes it for dinner. If not, I will see him for the start in the morn. thumbsup.gif

Right on!!! Go Steve, GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Thanks so much Doug for the head's up--you rock!! thumbsup.gif

We just moved out of our bedroom two days ago (and into the tiny guest room) and today we moved the office attached to the bedroom. The clothes are piled up on the floor of another closet, but thankfully Leslie set aside our winter riding gear. The bedroom and office walls are stripped of the lath and plaster and there is dust everywhere! blush.gif

It'll be really nice to get out of here for a few days and breathe some fresh air! thumbsup.gif

I'm packing tonight (hopefully I can find everything!) clap.gif

Good Idea...but I'm almost there....yeeee haaaa

You'd better be!! clap.gif

How does that old adage go? "Don't make any changes or do any major work to your bike right before leaving for a big trip?" eek.gifgrin.gif

Thanks, John. Now you tell me! grin.gif

BTW, how're the next 12 weekends looking for you? blush.gif Oh, and I'll provide the sledge hammer! grin.gif

Jamie, what's for breakfast #1??
On the menu for breakfast #1 will be . . . my taillights! cool.gif

And your seeeeeecond breeeeaaakfast will have no Sand-Box-Canyon-Lunch chaser this time! dopeslap.gifgrin.gif

And your seeeeeecond breeeeaaakfast will have no Sand-Box-Canyon-Lunch chaser this time! dopeslap.gifgrin.gif

Amen and Amen. Nice n easy kids. See you all with a smile this afterlunch. Rough arrival time for the Dry Town Krew at the LongStreet???

Dennis Andress
Jamie, what's for breakfast #1??
On the menu for breakfast #1 will be . . . my taillights! cool.gif

Ya'll have a good ride. I'm taking the westerly approach this time.

Archived