IGNORED

Only the Japanese!

philbytx

Joe Frickin' Friday
And we have an obesity epidemic :eek:

We in the US do, but they don't. On vacation in Japan last fall, during the entire two weeks I think I saw one Japanese fellow who was seriously overweight.

While I'm sure it will be a big hit with the terminally lazy, it could really prove to be a boon for folks with leg problems that make it difficult for them to walk signficant distances. Right now those are the folks using power chairs and scooter chairs, which are a major PITA: they're bulky and heavy, which makes them difficult to take in/out of a car and difficult to maneuver in tight public spaces like stores or offices. This little unicycle gadget could be a great thing for them: easy to store/lift, and small enough to maneuver in confined areas.

The wheel system reminds me a bit of the

Hey Mitch,

That is why I said "we"..... ;) !

With my jaundiced eye, I could just imagine some NY trader type buying one to "one-up" his buddies at the office and so it goes from there LOL !!!

From the disabled point of view, it is a noble idea but if there is the slightest mechanical and/or software issue, the unit and thusly the poor user is rendered helpless and that's when the lawsuits will begin!

That is why scooters and chairs (with 4 wheels and inherent stability) will remain the vehicle(s) of choice for the foreseeable future.

And we have an obesity epidemic :eek:

We in the US do, but they don't. On vacation in Japan last fall, during the entire two weeks I think I saw one Japanese fellow who was seriously overweight.

I guess you didn't go to any Sumo wrestling matches. :)

Nice to see it works well on smooth, level surfaces. What about everyday not so smooth and not so level surfaces in the real world?

Agree with above comments, unless lower extremity disabled we should be walking more not less.

Top Gear did an episode all around Honda and their concept personal mobility things. HILARIOUS!!!! Yep, they pegged it for the "fattys in the Americas."

While fairly much the whole western world has an issue with weight, it comes as quite a shock the first time you visit the USA and see just how generously proportioned so large a percentage of the population is.

Oddly, though these things are being mentioned in relation to people with disabilities, the people I noted with genuine obvious issues were generally quite fit looking and managing just fine under their own steam; the majority in electric scooters of one type or another (why do they seem to gather in Wal-Mart?) seemed to be just too fat and idle to bother walking.

Horrible sweeping generalisation yes, but c'mon, they can't all have glandular issues.

Remember, the U3-X is a concept demonstration item from Honda, meant to show off their cutting-edge technology, not a production product. As such it’s amazing, practical application barriers not withstanding.

If you watch closely the demonstrators seem to be doing a lot of something with the tips of their shoes. Toes always pointed down, in various contacts with the floor, etc. I wonder is that part of directing it where you wan to go? Or is it strictly ‘Segway like’?

I want to see the video of them learning to ride. Maybe they start you off in an empty warehouse wearing a really stiff antebellum hoop skirt to keep from tipping over. If those are the two best, most accomplished riders, they sure are fidgiting a lot.

I would like to try it, but maybe just the antebellum skirt.

---

Joe Frickin' Friday
it would be cool if you can bank it into turns (corners)

Good news: just like a motorcycle, the track width is zero. it has to lean in whatever direction it's accelerating, and since cornering induces lateral acceleration, it definitely will lean into the turns. :Cool:

Archived