IGNORED

Video - Dad's Old BMW

Ron_B

A little background..

"Boy meets girl, gets married, buys motorcycle. Rides it for 60,000 miles and has accident when wife is pregnant with 3rd child. Wife orders motorcycle to be taken off road until all her children are grown and on their own. One day when bike is moved to a different storage location, son sits on bike and dreams of being a Jedi Master like his father. Couple grows old together and bike is not ridden for 40 years. Husband is now a grandfather of 7 and married for 50 years, when he dies of a stroke at age 71.

Son looks over the old rotting machine and finds note attached to it from his father to him. Son decides to restore the old 1958 BMW R-50 as a tribute to his father. With the help of many friends, especially Peter Nettesheim, world renowned BMW collector, bike is restored to look even better than it did when it was built in Germany."

Note: Spare parts are tucked away inside headlamp, tail-lamp. Extra tools are in that kit. I want the bike to be fixed as well as I know you can do it. R Costello

If that was my video this would have been the bike. (or one just like it) Pops ended up selling it for the incredible sum of $200.00.

I guess back then two hundred was real money. :(

DSCN0002_small.JPG

Pat

Thanks Ron, good stuff.

It reminds me of when I brought the recent bike home, my boy asked if he could have it when I was through with it.

Just FYI

I didn't see this until I watched again with a good friend of mine. In order to be able to have legal rights for the use of the song in the background, Pearl Jam's "Just Breathe", the gentleman who restored the bike had to pay $1000. He has a place set up for those who want to make donations - Here . He notes that the donation page will close once the $1000 sum is reached.

Having lost my father just three years ago, this really touched me, and I have made a contribution.

Ron, thanks for posting the original link.

Lets see how to word this without being cheesy and over personal.

I have never had a healthy relationship with my mom. She needs some serious psycological help but wont get it, it is all of us that have the problem NOT her. This has driven all 3 of us kids from wanting to be around her.

The one joy and happy memmories I have from growing up are the time my dad and I spent tinkering with bikes and cars in the garage and out riding dirt bikes in the desert.

Since my dad has quit riding in the last 7 years we have even grown apart some. We try, but it seems as if our whole relationship was centered on our love of bikes.

Stories like these are awesome, I love them, but they also stir up some painful hole in my life.

Sorry for the downer here, not meant to be, that is a touching story it made me want to share my reason for loving motorcycles. A life long joy and passion.

comstockrider

Yup. . . Men don't cryyiyiyi. Bawllll. ;) Very nicely done. Storey and bike. My Dad just celebrated his 98th birthday. He instilled his love for motorcycles into me. He helped me build a scooter when I was 5 or 6 and I wore it out going up and down the alley ways of LeMars, Ia. Then it was on to bigger and better.

That a tearjerker. Great story and video. Enjoy the bike and your dad's memories. I don't know if you have kids but if you do, you gotta ad them to the end of the video, you know, like passing the baton on.

Archived