IGNORED

What lube to use to assist pushing brake pistons back into caliper?

KDeline

Trying to replace the front brake pads on a 13 year old RTP, the piston are very hard to retract back into the caliper. Can I use a lube like WD40 and not hurt the seals? Or can I just use a light coating of engine oil on the pistons? I bled the brakes last march and had a real hard time getting the pistons to retract then also. Any other ideas?

Brake fluid should be fully compatible with the seals. Use the old pads and a couple of C clamps to push the pistons back in -- slow and steady.

Probably already did it but make sure you spray the crud off of the pistons with some brake cleaner to avoid jamming it back in the seals.

Can I use a lube like WD40 and not hurt the seals? Or can I just use a light coating of engine oil on the pistons? Any other ideas?

Don't Use WD40 or engine oil.

Go with the suggestions above. Clean with fluid then completely remove said stuff, and then lighty lube with brake grease.

Andy

We have used Raybestos Assembly fluid for years,but its hard to find anymore.I would use brake fluid and then wipe off any excess after the piston is pushed back.

DON'T......use any type of oil as most of it will swell the seals until they are unusable.

How about brake fluid? Once the area is clean rub brake fluid on it. I've done that in the past with Disk assys and old time brakes on cars. That grease stuff is for the back of the puck to keep it from squealing, a trait I personally find appealing.

I thought the brake grease was oly for the slider pins. Couldnt the grease contaminate the brake fluid?
+1 use brake cleaner and brake fluid only.

Yes!

Do NOT mix ANYTHING with brake fluid. Just clean the piston and, when replacing seals, just use brake fluid for assembly :thumbsup:

Silicone grease is for external components such as pins, sliders etc.

You really shouldn't need any lubricant. Just apply steady pressure and wait, they will slowly retract. I put a big screwdriver or small crowbar between the pads or pad and disk and then twist the handle to apply pressure and just wait a few seconds.

You really shouldn't need any lubricant. Just apply steady pressure and wait, they will slowly retract. I put a big screwdriver or small crowbar between the pads or pad and disk and then twist the handle to apply pressure and just wait a few seconds.

This procedure will gouge/mar the pads. Once again, hose on bleeder nipple, open nipple, retract pads by either pushing against disk (if mounted on machine), or with a plastic paddle (handle from an old spatula works great). AVOID any type of potentially damaging (metal/steel) prying device.

Archived