IGNORED

Tranny Fluid Change ?

Highway41

Getting ready for the 12K service on the 2010 by reading the Maintenance Schedules both for break in and subsequent services. Neither mentioned changing the transmission fluid. Is this now a "life time" lube not needing regular change? I'm very hesitant to follow that route as the tranny bearing failure in my '05 was the final straw leading to a trade in.

Bill

Getting ready for the 12K service on the 2010 by reading the Maintenance Schedules both for break in and subsequent services. Neither mentioned changing the transmission fluid. Is this now a "life time" lube not needing regular change? I'm very hesitant to follow that route as the tranny bearing failure in my '05 was the final straw leading to a trade in.

Bill

According to the latest maintenance schedule I have here in front of me (12/2009), the interval for the gearbox oil change is "every 2 years or every 40,000 kms".

Bill

If you are going to go to the hassle to do an oil change, why would you NOT spend the additional $10 and 15 minutes time to also change the tranny oil??

It very easy to do.

I went to Sallys beauty supplies and purchased 2 color applicator bottles with a long curved tip and the bottles had gradualtions in OZ. and Mls. One it labeled for the tranny and one for the final drive. Filled to appropriate spec and then put in. Worked really well and easy. No spilling

If you are going to go to the hassle to do an oil change, why would you NOT spend the additional $10 and 15 minutes time to also change the tranny oil??

I don't question the need to change the tranny fluid; just questoned why neither service schedule I have reference the transmission fluid. Also, the owner's manual shed no light on need or frequency.

Bill

My service DVD for the 07 recommends every 24K or 2 years on transmission oil changes.

If you want to change it earlier, just do it. I do not think that it gets changed at the 600 mile service. Sometimes it better to change early then not. I change mine every 12 K miles.

My service DVD for the 07 recommends every 24K or 2 years on transmission oil changes.

If you want to change it earlier, just do it. I do not think that it gets changed at the 600 mile service. Sometimes it better to change early then not. I change mine every 12 K miles.

I agree. I usually change the diff/trans fluids every other oil change. Its cheap insurance in my opinion.

Archived