IGNORED

Lumpy Running

roundy

My 06 RT seems to be running a little rough at the moment....the throttle pick-up seems to be a little "stifled" so to speak...?

The other morning also when riding into work (it was torrential rain) the bike started mis-firing on low rpm? It stopped though after a few miles...

I must admit as well it doesn't seem to purr so well on idle, very lumpy...

Sounds as though you may have a stick coil going bad. They sometimes crack and when they do, their performance can decrease. Your mis fire in rain leads me to this thought.

Also, check your throttle bell crank to make sure you don't have a rock in the cam wheel that is taking your throttle bodies out of sync.

Roundy,

For what it's worth my '05 (92K miles)has been getting progressively more hesitant between 2,500 to 3,500 rpms over the last four months and feeling a touch gutless when rolling the throttle on. I thought it might have been the secondary coils and finally bit the bullet to get a new pair (~£160). Sadly it did not make much difference, so I swapped out the existing spark plugs (~10k miles old) with an old stand by set which I kept from a couple of years ago (also with about 10k usage on them). Well at the moment it does seem to have improved things (the plugs that is!) - so I may shell out for a new set anyhow.

The long and the short of this post is that if you send me your address (off line of course) I would be willing to mail you the old (OK) stick coils for you to use for diagnosis purposes.

Cheers

Richard

Richard, that would be most helpful!! Are the lower coils the same as the main ones? I am beginning to think I may have one on its way out as the bike is a bit sluggish below 4.5k RPM and is real lumpy when pulling away...

Going to re-check my TB sync as when I did it I only set it at 3k RPM and I am sure it should be a bit more involved than that?

Are there any sure sign tests you can do to test a coil?

I'll drop you a PM with my details - nice one :-)

In the absence of a substitute set try to determine which side is missing and swap them. If the miss follows the swap, you have your man.

As for checking them, get it running and get a spray bottle with water in it and try spraying the coil. If the miss presents itself, winner.

Do a plug check. Compare left to right. Understand though that the primary and secondary plugs within a cylinder will look different. This is a matter of flame propagation in the cylinder and is not indicative of a good or bad plug. Left to right comparo of the same plugs would be. It also could be indicative of a fueling issue (plugged/dirty injector) or a sync issue.

Do not run a plug coil out of the engine and not properly grounded! You will ruin your coil and could have a nasty gas plume headed toward an ignition source. Chances are slim on the ignition but, how lucky do you feel? :)

Take same spray bottle and spray cylinder heads to see which one is running hotter unless you have access to a heat gun to measure temp.

Verify your valve lash adjustment. Especially if they were done around the time that the situation developed. You could have a loose adjuster or a maladjusted one.

Hope this helps.

Also, good on you Richard for spreading the love. Fantastic!!!!

Funny this. I've been thinking my RT has been running a bit lumpy over the last couple of weeks, but thought it might be my imagination, or just the cold weather affecting fueling a little.

\v/

I did think about fuelling to begin with as I've got one of those "Accelerator" modules, when I first fitted it i thought it was the dogs wotsits but I am having my doubts now - thought that could be playing up...might take it off when i re-do the TB sync....

Is there a step by step guide on here to doing TB sync - i have a CarbTune which should do the job...

I did think about fuelling to begin with as I've got one of those "Accelerator" modules, when I first fitted it i thought it was the dogs wotsits but I am having my doubts now - thought that could be playing up...might take it off when i re-do the TB sync....

Is there a step by step guide on here to doing TB sync - i have a CarbTune which should do the job...

Ah, now this is interesting. I also fitted one of those. In fact I fitted the Booster plug 1st but took it off a few weeks later and got a refund. The bike didn't feel happy at higher revs.

A few months after that in an attempt to cure the minor occasional flat spot off intial throttle opening. I fitted the accelerator module, rode the French/Swiss Alps. The flat spot or stutter just off throttle seemed worse after a few weeks. So I removed it.= as well.

I reckon the computer eventually adjusts and compensates for these resistor fixes.

I also came to the conclusion my bike has this annoying occasional misfire/stutter and I'm stuck with it, dealer states it's OK, but I feel it and don't feel it on other loan bikes.

\v/

Yeah, mine stutters too occassionally - but the effect reduced when I changed the spark plugs. Now I just tend to ride around the problem (which is easy for me since virtually all of my mileage is on the M25/26/20).

Richard

Archived