IGNORED

Why you should buy the RT mirror lock wire kit.....

roundy

They fall off, very easily.....slight mirror/car interface yesterday and I am now 47 quid lighter....

Glad I got a 2nd hand one, new is 72 quid!

My mirrors appear to love the garage door openings on my very small garage. Many times, as I look backwards guiding the hard bags past my wife's car in the driveway I hear the sound of one of my mirrors jumping off the bike in order to play with the door jamb.

Glad I put that wire kit on. :grin:

You can make a tether out of a bit of fishing stuff. Stainless leaders come premade in packages at your local sporting goods, wallymart, big5 etc. You need to drill a hole or two for securing screws but easy enough.

You can make a tether out of a bit of fishing stuff. Stainless leaders come premade in packages at your local sporting goods, wallymart, big5 etc. You need to drill a hole or two for securing screws but easy enough.

Now thats a great idea,thanks!!!!

A few weeks ago, I disassembled one mirror assembly for some restorative cosmetic work. At least on an R1100RT, the cable has two looped ends; one goes over one of the posts inside the mirror assembly, and the other attaches to the frame with a machine screw. Any sufficiently strong material, nylon monofilament, braided nylon, or steel should do the job. I suspect you could make a pretty good tether from weed whacker line.

When I bought my '09 I got out the wire to make the tethers like I'd done before, only to find they are now secured with elastic straps. If you were looking for a reason to trade up, there you go.

I was just about to ask how I remove the mirrors... and saw your post. I assume (yes, I know what that "catchphrase" usually means ;-) in 2010 it is the same, I hope!

• 1 month later...

You don't need no stinking holes drilled, at least for the 1150:

DSCN0055.jpg

All that's required is finding the existing T30 bolt and buy a nickel plate washer and you are done.

How does one remove the mirrors so you can attach that tether? Just give them a tug? I had tethers on my previous RT installed by the first owner, but I've never checked my '09 - been on my 2Doo list for a while.........

I give TF1200RT the prize for the simplest, cheapest, and absolute best solution.

With this prize, TF, you can get anything your...., well, there is no actual prize, but there is my heartfelt thanks and goodwill.

2 strands of stainless steel wire...1 for each side.

loop around that bolt with large washer on frame.

twist wire with 'twisting pliers' to secure.

loop thru one of two existing holes in mirror.

twist wire with 'twisting pliers' to secure.

Push excess in round opening in frame.

Done...both sides took a total of 10 minutes!

Buy What? Nah...

Archived