IGNORED

Outlook computer question

Spyder

Is there an easier way to sync outlook files from a desktop to a laptop other than to export the .pst files to a zip drive and then import? It seems like there has to be a more efficient way. I have a wireless router set up if that helps.

Thanks folks.

Im not a computer expert but I did have a nice conversation with microsoft yesterday. Ill make it short. In June they will have

the new "Outlook 365" in the cloud with some other things that are being worked on. I hope this helps you in the future.

If you are set up on an Exchange or IMAP server and you are running Office 2003 or later, messages and calendars are cached locally, so there is no need to synch unless you don't have network access to one of the Outlook clients. Both my Iphone and two desktops are linked to the same email account and they all sync perfectly by themselves.

I also use the smartphone method (Blackberry), but my laptop is at work and the desktop at home. Also allows me to enter appointments & contacts on the phone and those to be synchronized.

There are a couple of software packages available, but they look pretty pricey for what they do.

Mike Cassidy

Just my two cents... I HATE client based computing, i.e Outlook... computer goes down and your often SOL.. versus WEB based, then who cares what computer your on; Log in and your good to go anywhere, anytime in the world.

and UBUNTU LINUX

Just my two cents... I HATE client based computing, i.e Outlook... computer goes down and your often SOL.. versus WEB based, then who cares what computer your on; Log in and your good to go anywhere, anytime in the world.

and UBUNTU LINUX

That is true, although most e-mail clients are more functional than their web based counterparts, and web email interfaces are nearly useless on smart phones. At the office, I use the Outlook client. Internationally, I use the Outlook web interface.

I hadn't touched my old work e-mail account since before Christmas, so today I fired up Microsoft Entourage (Mac version of Outlook), discovered >3000 emails in my inbox, and was reminded all over again how much I dislike Outlook.

You might want to look at something like Dropbox.... allows you to keep and sync files across multiple devices. You might be able to use it for your PST file (depending on the size)

Jim

and UBUNTU LINUX

Sure, until Google Mail deletes all of your years of correspondence with no way to retrieve it. After that happened to me, I don't put my faith in gmail to hold on to my mail. So, I still use it, but I also set up my Outlook client to have IMAP connections to it so I can download my mail to my own pc and make some back ups for myself.

Yes, it can happen to you too!

You might want to look at something like Dropbox.... allows you to keep and sync files across multiple devices. You might be able to use it for your PST file (depending on the size)

Jim

+10000 LOVE Dropbox

and UBUNTU LINUX

Sure, until Google Mail deletes all of your years of correspondence with no way to retrieve it. After that happened to me, I don't put my faith in gmail to hold on to my mail. So, I still use it, but I also set up my Outlook client to have IMAP connections to it so I can download my mail to my own pc and make some back ups for myself.

Good point... Personally I don't use gmail cept' for an addl. backup account. I use Comcast servers..

and UBUNTU LINUX

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13273

JR, would that allow you to pull down "copies" onto your email client as well as keeping them on gmail's servers?

i.e. copy on PC as well as on their servers?

JR, would that allow you to pull down "copies" onto your email client as well as keeping them on gmail's servers?

i.e. copy on PC as well as on their servers?

I assume that's determined by your POP client's settings. You can choose to leave downloaded messages on the server.

Archived