IGNORED

BMW Canbus charger help needed

Natche

Well it's winter here in central PA and I haven't been on the bike since New Year's day when we had a brief warm spell.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me the proper way to use the Canbus charger. I got it with my 2007 R1200RT and I'm not sure if I should leave it on all the time like I used to do with my Battery Tender or what. I don't have a battery problem but I want to make sure it doesn't go bad over the winter.

Please don't say search this site. I'm sure the answer is there somewhere but did a brief search and didn't find my answer. I'm just looking for a no-nonsense, "here's what you do" type answer.

Thanks for your help.

Natche,

Yes, you can leave it on all the time. I do that with my R1200ST. Check it periodically, however. In the event of a power outage, you need to cycle the ignition to reconnect through the ZFE module.

That's what I do. It plug it in whenever I park the bike. I got nearly six years out of my first R12RT battery and swapped it out just because it was making me nervous. It was still working fine but I did not trust it for long trips.

Yes, plug it in properly and it's good to go. Afterall, it's made by Deltran aka Battery Tender.

It has three differences; packaging, price, and programming so that it holds the circuit open for the plug you have it plugged in to.

Do you have procedure to plug it in?

Thanks everyone for the replies. No, I do not have any instructions for the charger. Apparently you have to cycle the ignition switch somehow but it's unclear exactly what to do. Does anyone have a link to a PDF of the instructions? The other question I have is which socket do I use to charge it? I have three, one in front by the radio controls and on on either side in the back.

It seems to me that this should be fairly foolproof but I want to make sure I don't make a hasty mistake and damage any of the electronics.

Thanks again for the help.

Archived