IGNORED

ABS lights flashing caused by high revs. 1999 r1100r

wells01

This is a strange one. The ABS system works fine unless I rev the engine to 5000rpm or above. At this point the abs lights flash alternately at about 1htz and ABS is disabled. Turning the ignition off and back on resets everything to normal. I have checked the air gaps on the wheel sensors and the brake fluid levels. Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Welcome to the Forum, hopefully you will find the answers you are looking for and enjoy hanging around here. Also may I politely suggest you fill out a little more of your profile so that we might get a better feel for who and where you are.

As a suggestion to your problem, you could check the relays (both in the fuse box and the one on the side of the ABS unit itself) to ensure they are correctly seated.

It may also be worth(long shot), monitoring the voltage as the revs go up, to see what the terminal voltage is doing with increasing revs.

Andy

Thanks Andy.

I have updated my profile. I'm heading to the garage with my multimeter to check those relays the alternator output. I also wondered if it could be linked to vibration?

Many thanks for your help.

I guess it sure could be related to vibration, but interestingly I find most boxers are through the worst envelope of vibration before 5000rpm. - but never say never.

Does it always do it?

If so does it do it at the same RPM

Does temperature affect it?

Does it do it with the bike static as well as rolling?

Does it do it with iether or both the brakes engaged?

Are you getting any other electrical irregularities happening?

Has this been happening for long?

Check this relay too:

Andy

5407.jpg.c2b17505a47ed741b0fabfffdf3f00ef.jpg

Hi

The name is Wells. An interesting hour spent on wet decking. It always does it, and always right up the top of the rev range. It is not affected by temperature. It doesn't do it when its static. I've re-seated all the relays and also discovered I had the wrong cat code plug, but that is another story. Alternator gives just over 14 volts at 5000 rpm. I have no other electrical problems. It has always happened without the brakes engaged but i will test this when I've got the tank back on. Its been happening for about 6 months.

Many thanks

David

The ABS has a voltage checker and faults on low voltages. Not sure if it would fault on higher voltage. I would suspect either a voltage regulator problem or perhaps alternator belt looseness. Perhaps at higher RPMs your alternator belt starts slipping and voltage actually falls off? Any squealing from the belt at cold startup or burning rubber smell?

On mine, it was the wire ties were too tight. I was getting front wheel faults at speed. Would start about 75 mph..4300 rpm. Read the faults!

Hi

I did 80 miles today. I tried to make it happen with the brakes on but couldnt bring my self to accelerate through 5500 revs with the brakes applied! It still happens everytime though. Will fault codes show even though it resets the lights with the ignition?

Many thanks.

Ok, here's a thought. Does it only flash when you apply your brakes over 5500 rpm or does it flash when you aren't applying the brakes DOING 5500rpm?

If it only happens when applying the brakes, try apply the FRONT brakes only to see if it flashes. If it does, then reset and try the REAR brake only to see if it flashes. That would isolate the circuit giving you the issue.

Now, if it is only the REAR brake that is giving you the fault, it just might be related to a wear item on the FD. The rear ABS ring and brake disc are linked together (as opposed to the front's which "float" on bobbins). It could well be that the application of the rear brake is causing the disk/ring to go out of whack, triggering the sensor because the gap is not constant.

The out of whackness may be due to a bearing going away.

Archived