IGNORED

John Barry is a Genius

moshe_levy

All-

Yesterday my Blu-Ray copy of the uncut version of Dances With Wolves came in and I watched on the new HDTV - I had forgotten just how amazing it is. I had the soundtrack to this movie on my Zumo when I rode out West 3 years ago on my RT. Having never been there before, I still remember the awe I felt in the Dakotas and Wyoming - the vastness of the landscape was truly something to experience. Anyway, somehow, John Barry put that feeling into melody, and it brought back some great memories. The movie, the soundtrack, and America's midwest are all absolutely perfect.

-MKL

It's amazing how riding a motorcycle, to music, with spectacular scenery all combine to form a fantastic experience. I used to love to ride the Malibu Canyons near LA while listening to the "Lord of the Ring" soundtrack. In particular, the music that played when the Nazgul, the Nine, bust out of Minas Morgul on their way to the Shire. Talk about b-b-b-b-bad @ss! :Cool:

Other than that piece, probably Aaron Copeland's music, in particular his "Appalachian Suite", does it for me every time.

He did win an Academy Award for that work so you’re not alone in appreciating it.

While watching films at home I'll turn off the volume just to impress upon my kids the value of music to the "visual" aspects of film; my boy still refers to his dad as a band geek :P

Moshe, on a topical note, I'm part-way through Blood and Thunder, by Hampton Sides...your affinity for the West may make it of interest, about Kit Carson, the Mexican War, the Navajo, and much more. Prose turns purple frequently, but the detailed descriptions of events, people, and places make it worthwhile to press forward through the pages.

Thanks Mark. "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee" is next for me. The topic is interesting to me. I'll check out Sides' book after that. Sounds good!

-MKL

• 2 weeks later...
He did win an Academy Award for that work so you’re not alone in appreciating it.

While watching films at home I'll turn off the volume just to impress upon my kids the value of music to the "visual" aspects of film; my boy still refers to his dad as a band geek :P

The music can live without the film, but not the other way around.

Thanks for that link about his death, Mitch. Barry created an astounding body of work!

Archived