IGNORED

HiFlo Oil Filters

Sonor

We run hiflos in my wife's Vespa 200gt ("modern" 4 stroke tng scooter) with good results - main use is daily 8 mile roundtrip commute.

josh

I sell HF163 oil filters which fit all the boxer and older "K" bikes for $8.60ea . Reliable source tells me that they are made in the same plant as K&N and the only difference is when they are on the belt they split off to get different cases/packaging. Just some FYI. Ken

Oops I stand corrected. It is the HF164. The CL and 1150Rt take the 163 along with the older K bikes. Retail is $8.75 for the HF164.

We use an HF 163 in Kathy's 1150 and HF 164 in my 1200 and have been for a while as recommended by local independent MC shop with a lot of BMW experience...Both bikes still running...They (the filters) cost around $9......

You can get them from Powersportssuperstore.com

About $6 for HF164 oil filter

HF also makes an Air filter for the RT. I think it is a HFA7912

according to application chart that HFA7912 fits R1200ST from 99-05.Hmmm

Thats a good price on the oil filter but theres probably a minimum for free shipping. Or even a minimum for an order period.

Don_Eilenberger
I use these Bosch from this supplier:

http://www.cyclenutz.com/Bosch-3330-Oil-Filter_p_218.html

At least the HiFlo is the same size as a stock filter - meaning it won't be hanging down below the oil pan. From experience, it IS possible for something to pop up and puncture the exposed oil filters (even the stock ones), and having more of it sticking down below the somewhat protective oil pan makes it even more likely (the Bosch IS bigger from the photo..)

It's very "interesting" to have this happen in the middle of an S curve at about 30MPH.. instant oiled rear tire.

More likely on a naked bike (like an R12R.. which is why mine now sports a GS skid plate..)

YMMV and do whatever you want, it's your bike and your life.. I really don't care, but figured if you haven't thought of the unintended consequences..

At least the HiFlo is the same size as a stock filter - meaning it won't be hanging down below the oil pan. From experience, it IS possible for something to pop up and puncture the exposed oil filters (even the stock ones), and having more of it sticking down below the somewhat protective oil pan makes it even more likely (the Bosch IS bigger from the photo..)

It's very "interesting" to have this happen in the middle of an S curve at about 30MPH.. instant oiled rear tire.

More likely on a naked bike (like an R12R.. which is why mine now sports a GS skid plate..)

YMMV and do whatever you want, it's your bike and your life.. I really don't care, but figured if you haven't thought of the unintended consequences..

I agree,theres a reason they made the HF164 shorter. I know on the K1200R I had before getting the RT it used that filter because it was right beside the shift linkage.

According to the Hi Flo catalogue the HFA 7912 fits the RT & ST.

According to the BMW microfische these filters are the same on both models.

Your probably right. My T/R catalog just misprinted it. Happens sometimes.

I agree,theres a reason they made the HF164 shorter. I know on the K1200R I had before getting the RT it used that filter because it was right beside the shift linkage.

I will keep you posted on how they work out. ;)

Well Don, ya got me thinking.....I will give them away at my next meet.

You are right, no need to take chances when I am by just riding.

even though the hiflo is rated for the service you also need verify that the dimples at the bottom are the correct dia. and your filter wrench will remove it.

i had (i think) a highflo for my vw and od was smaller making removal a real pain. for that reason im staying with factory, mahle, knecht, or bosch.

Hi Folks, great site. Just because a filter "fits" doesn't mean it has the specs required by BMW as to filtration,check valve etc.

I buy two or three BMW filters per year and would rather have factory than aftermarket if I am only going to save $10-$20 per year.

Thanks

Bill

05 R1200RT

11 Ducati Hypermotard 1100

05 MV Brutale

Archived