IGNORED

Sticking starter service?

StevenM

For those of you that have serviced your starter per RightSpin's instructions, any hints on getting the bushing back over the retainer? I am using a gear puller to hold the bushing in position, but not having much luck with getting the retainer ring back in. I have the retainer positioned in it's slot on the shaft, but can't seem to work it into the bushing.

Thanks for any ideas.

For those of you that have serviced your starter per RightSpin's instructions, any hints on getting the bushing back over the retainer? I am using a gear puller to hold the bushing in position, but not having much luck with getting the retainer ring back in. I have the retainer positioned in it's slot on the shaft, but can't seem to work it into the bushing.

Thanks for any ideas.

I had your exact problem when putting mine back ~ 1 month ago.

What I did was to take the C-clip out, bend it in a "C" shape, (that's right, jut like "C"), and press it to the round shape as best that I could. Then hammer the bushing back over it ;)

It will take you some time and some swearing, but you will get it back in position at the end... Good luck!

Dan.

Thanks. I'll give it a try. I kinda knew it was gonna be a pain to reseat the retainer. Did you turn the starter,shaft side down and hammer down on the bushing, and if so, how did you avoid putting excess force on the innards of the starter?

Archived