IGNORED

Source for aux lights

dan cata

Hi all,

This weekend I have bought a set of fog lights, and intend to get a set of ff50 driving lights. Mounting them I have solved the problem, but I would like to run them connected trough a relay to the hi-beam. Where can I get a signal from the hi beam for the relay? From what I have seen, it's only the connector on the H4 bulb or from the dash warning light. And I do not want to mess with the bike's harness, like cut wires or so. If I decide to sell the bike, it has to be in the same condition I got it.

so, how did you guys did this?

Dan.

I used Scotchlok connectors and took the signal from the main beam indicator. There is no way you really want to Scotchlok into the main loom because the CSA of the wiring is already marginal at best, so any further interference may be detrimental to the brilliance of the main beam.

Actually what I finally did, was where the headlight loom breaks into the headlight loom connector, I just took all those signals away to relays and now dirve all the front lights via relays and chunky wire.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

For my fogs, I took the signal off the low beam and for the driving lights, off the high beam. Use that as the switched power for the relay for the lights.

Note that you can still put a switch between the signal and the relay if you want one.

http://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html

Much better than Scotchlock!

JR356

Well, in some ways yes, but inother ways no. These units do allow the hot (original) wire to be left pretty much alone, but the 'spur' wire comes out perpendicular, which makes for a much bulkier instalation. With the correct selction of scotchlok, the original wire is kept undamaged, but the 'spur' wire lays along the loom and allows for a neater packaging and can then be (if required' loom taped and hidden.

Andy

I stayed untill 3AM in the morning to wire those lights, but I am still having some problems. After I get the lights to light up, when changing to low beam, they remain lighting. I think I have found the problem (bad ground connection causeing the relay to remain switched on), but will come with definate results and some pics once the bike is out of the house and running ;)

Dan.

Nice one Dan. Don't burn the candle at both ends.

Andy

Working on the bike is just relaxing for me. Can't wait to see the final result :D

Dan

When I installed a set of PIAA driving lights on my 2004 RT I got a "gadget" from cyclegadgets.com that allowed me to switch them by pressing the turnsignal cancel buttom for one second. Check it out. It works flawlessly on my installation.

I have since seen that cyclegadgets is liquidating all their stuff on ebay. You may want to check there.

Good luck

Well, it's all done now... What I yesterday taught to be a problem was just me being sleepy @ tired. I switched the ground and the hi beam wire at the H4 bulb between them and that's why the low beam was lighting like a candle and the hi beam worked...

Now I am waiting for a appointment to the "MOT" and then I can ride all I want.

And... I got my licence back today. 3 month for doing 109 km/h in a 50 zone :)

Dan.

Archived