IGNORED

K1300GT vs K1300S

Rydrhard

I was at a bike show in town last weekend and saw the 1600 noted the Hp only 166. Started comparing my GT to the 1600 and they have the same Hp. Then looked at the 1300S was shocked to see 193Hp. Does anyone know how BMW gets the added Hp in 1300S. I think the engines are the same.Do they use some thing the same as the R1100 did with Cat Plugs?

DaveTheAffable

I just went to BMW Dealer website... it says in the spec sheet 2011 K1300S is 175 hp. :S

"With 175 horsepower, 103 ft-lb. of torque and a valvetrain based on BMW’s Formula One automobile designs, this power plant delivers 70% of its torque from 3000 rpm up."

The BMW 1000RR does get 193.... wow.

But I see your point. The K1600GT is about 100 lbs (?) heavier than a K1300GT, and only 6 more horsepower? It's not going to be faster. You'd have to be upgrading for headlight feature, a diferent engine (which may be good based on some problems in the K1300) and "other cool stuff".

HP is great.....when you are using the loud handle at near full to full throttle. It's torque and driveability that count in sport tourers.

Think about your statement for a second, "...ONLY 166 hp..."

Comparisons -

The first generation Honda Accord was launched on May 7, 1976 as a three-door hatchback with 68 hp (51 kW), a 93.7-inch (2,380.0 mm) wheelbase, and a weight of about 2,000 pounds.

Honda Accord engines....

2.0L F20B5 I4 147 hp (110 kW)

2.3L F23A1 I4 150 hp (112 kW)

2.3L F23A4 I4 148 hp (110 kW)

2.3L F23A5 I4 135 hp (101 kW)

3.0L J30A1 V6 200 hp (150 kW)

So, consider the "only" portion of your statement. Modern day motorcycles have exceptional output so don't get too caught up in the numbers. It doesn't equate to better by any stretch of the imagination.

When the major parts of an engine are the same (bore, stroke, displacement, general build-up) the difference comes from tuning (computer, etc.), fuel mapping, cams, exhaust, and different size throttle bodies, etc.

Look at the F800GS and the F650GS. The motors are the same, excepting cams and computer, and they make their power differently and with different peaks.

And, now to answer the next question, yes, you could probably make changes to your bike or another to mimic another's platform.....well, as long as you have a big enough wallet. And, most likely, it will be money wasted.

Torque is where it is at with the new 16s -

The transversely mounted 6-cylinder inline engine of the BMW K 1600 models has a capacity of 1649 cc. Its rated output is 118 kW (160 bhp) at 7,750rpm. The maximum torque of 175 Nm (129 Lb. ft.) is reached at 5,250 rpm. Over 70 per cent of the maximum torque is available from 1,500 rpm. The development goals here were highly superior touring characteristics and ridability combined with maximum running smoothness.

This is fitting considering the significantly lower red line for rpm. It doesn't spin up to high rpms as does an S1000RR as it isn't designed for horsepower. It's designed for torque.

K13GT info -

Maximum output is now 118 kW (160 hp) at 9,000 rpm, with peak torque of 135 Newton-meters (99 lb-ft) at 8,000 rpm. This equals an increase in power by 6 kW (8 hp) and an increase in torque by 5 Newton-meters or 3.7 lb-ft.

While the former K 1200 GT did not develop its maximum output until 9,500 rpm, the power unit of the new K1300 GT offers its maximum power at 9,000 rpm, with more than 80 per cent of the engine’s maximum torque available from just 3,500 rpm.

Again versus the K 1200 GT, the torque curve is significantly better over a wide range from 3,500 – 10,000 rpm, following the objective to offer significantly more traction and pulling force particularly at low and medium engine speeds.

The 16GT probably pulls harder and quicker than the 13. Who wins now?

Assuming the same gearing and given the weight, I doubt that the 16 will be substantially faster if at all than the 13 when comparing GT-GT even with the torque boost. Power to weight is what makes acceleration and that's that.

Having said that, what it will be is vastly more effortless and less busy in achieving the same acceleration while needing less gear changing. In other words, a better tourer.

The jury is obviously out on refinement, but I'd be fairly stunned if the inline six isn't positively better, not that the four is horrible.

As to the original post, as pointed out the 1300S makes 175 stock not 193, the difference if my rusty memory is serving being a slightly different cam grind to encourage torque lower in the rpm range of the GT to better suit its target usage. The payoff being slightly lower peak HP figures.

allthe above are correct. I have a gt1300, I asked if I could tweak my bike to get the 175 hp of the s and apparently they have totally different engine management systems (not to mention the "s" has shift assist. if you do a web search there really isn't too much for the 1300 or 1200 gt. I found a turbo kit, other than that just a power commander engine management system and some slip ons.I'll get the slip on, but not anything else, now that they have fixed my bike so it doesn't stall anymore, I'm more than happy with the performance and speed.

allthe above are correct. I have a gt1300, I asked if I could tweak my bike to get the 175 hp of the s and apparently they have totally different engine management systems (not to mention the "s" has shift assist. if you do a web search there really isn't too much for the 1300 or 1200 gt. I found a turbo kit, other than that just a power commander engine management system and some slip ons.I'll get the slip on, but not anything else, now that they have fixed my bike so it doesn't stall anymore, I'm more than happy with the performance and speed.

Out of curiosity did you get the dreaded false low oil warning light after the stalling software fix?

I did. Took 'em two oil sensors before they figured out the sensors were a symptom and not the problem. Part Swappers!

Archived