IGNORED

RT needs some new shoes....any advice?

leeinmemphis

Hey everyone,

After 20+ years of riding today I had my first flat. I ran over something that made a pretty good sized hole in the rear tire. I am going to be using the bike for commuting, long day/weekend trips. I am looking for recommendations on what tires everyone would suggest? I'ld like a fairly soft compound with good rain handling. I'ld like to get a least 7-8k out of a rear tire if possible. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I am currently running a 170/60/17 rear tire. The closest size cycle gear has listed is a 180/55/17. Any reason that wouldn't work???Thanks.

I cant comment on the mileage, but I am runnign the Brisdgestone BT023 tires. I love the way they ride so far. Only time will tell on the mileage but I have never felt the Michelins feel as planted. I have now had the bridgestones on cold wet streets without a single slip. On dry they are rock steady. Even if I only got 5-6k miles out of them I would buy another set since they are significantly cheaper than the Michelins. However since the Bridgestones are dual compund I would expect more than that out of them.

Michelin PR 2's Mine have have been lasting 12k or longer for me and I take them off with tread left. Go to their website and you will see their comparison for rain. Supposedly one of the best.

Metzeler ME880's are a fine tyre and appear to be the mileage champs. They handle just fine in the dry and not bad in the wet either. Never had an issue with them in the twisties and I do like the tyre a lot for a mileage tyre.

However, I ride the RT mainly 2 up and loaded and, although I get good mileage from the ME880, they tend to wear very flat on the rear and then the back end then gets a little twitchy when in the twisties. I've had a max of 9.8K miles on ME880's on the rear.

I am currently running Conti RoadAttacks on both bikes as they wear a little rounder on the rear (less flat) than the ME880's)and they roll into turns very nicely and stick like crap to a blanket in both wet and dry conditions. I have nothing but praise for them. However, I am lucky to get 5k from them on the rear of the RT but, if I am honest, my preference is for a tyre that handles rather than a tyre that gets higher mileage.

We are all different in the way we load and ride our bikes and you will find that folks have a particular preference regarding mileage and/or handling. Tough call but sounds like you should take a look at the ME880's given your requirements for commuting and long trips. That is unless you have a bundle of dosh and don't care about spending it on tyres ;)

CoarsegoldKid

Someone being funny once told me to get circular black synthetic rubber round profile radial ones of the proper size. Yeah, right. I've tried four different brands of tires and five models of sport touring tires matching that description. Each one did something slightly different than the other. One was sticky compared to another. One provided more miles. And yet another provided even more miles. But I would bet money that if I were on a dry closed circuit my lap times would be nearly identical on all of them under controlled conditions. That someone was right. When it comes to tires there are so many variables that I don't think you can honestly compare touring tires to touring tires. I certainly can control air pressures, air temperatures, altitude changes, road temp, road surface, road coefficient of friction, loads carried, % of straight line vs. leaned over, tire balance and speeds. Did I leave anything out?

That said Dunlop Qualifiers will not last as long as Michelin PR2s.

Understanding the decision has already been made...

Michelin PR 2's Mine have have been lasting 12k or longer for me and I take them off with tread left.

+1

On an R1100RT. Took mine off yesterday with 13,400+ miles after 19 months. Front was worn enough to need changing, plenty left on rear. Daily commuter and with 6k on them left on a 5k mile trip to CO thinking they would wear out and need to be replaced after, but they just kept going and going. That said, they created a really weird vibration and sound, so much so I ended up replacing pivot bearings thinking it was something much worse. Not an aggressive rider, but am all weather, so knee-dragging performance was not an issue, they did fine for me.

But the odd vibe was a concern enough that it caused me to go another direction (Pilot Power and Pirelli Angel). I will use them again (or PR3s) if I plan another trip over 6k miles.

Understanding the decision has already been made...

Michelin PR 2's Mine have have been lasting 12k or longer for me and I take them off with tread left.

+1

On an R1100RT. Took mine off yesterday with 13,400+ miles after 19 months. Front was worn enough to need changing, plenty left on rear. Daily commuter and with 6k on them left on a 5k mile trip to CO thinking they would wear out and need to be replaced after, but they just kept going and going. That said, they created a really weird vibration and sound, so much so I ended up replacing pivot bearings thinking it was something much worse. Not an aggressive rider, but am all weather, so knee-dragging performance was not an issue, they did fine for me.

But the odd vibe was a concern enough that it caused me to go another direction (Pilot Power and Pirelli Angel). I will use them again (or PR3s) if I plan another trip over 6k miles.

I feel that vibration (at slow speed) after about 2,000 miles. I was concerned the first time. I have had three sets do that, one on an R1100rt two sets on the R1200rt. Feels worse on the 1200.

Metzeler ME880's are a fine tyre and appear to be the mileage champs. They handle just fine in the dry and not bad in the wet either. Never had an issue with them in the twisties and I do like the tyre a lot for a mileage tyre.

However, I ride the RT mainly 2 up and loaded and, although I get good mileage from the ME880, they tend to wear very flat on the rear and then the back end then gets a little twitchy when in the twisties. I've had a max of 9.8K miles on ME880's on the rear.

I am currently running Conti RoadAttacks on both bikes as they wear a little rounder on the rear (less flat) than the ME880's)and they roll into turns very nicely and stick like crap to a blanket in both wet and dry conditions. I have nothing but praise for them. However, I am lucky to get 5k from them on the rear of the RT but, if I am honest, my preference is for a tyre that handles rather than a tyre that gets higher mileage.

We are all different in the way we load and ride our bikes and you will find that folks have a particular preference regarding mileage and/or handling. Tough call but sounds like you should take a look at the ME880's given your requirements for commuting and long trips. That is unless you have a bundle of dosh and don't care about spending it on tyres ;)

I'm also a fan of the 880 (at least for the rear, I run a Z6 up front). I like the combination of good handling and long mileage. Unlike philbytx, I haven't had the problem of them wearing flat on the rear. In fact, the 880 has the least tendency to "square off" of anything I've tried on my RT.

I finally put the 880s on when I was broke, because I needed a high mileage tire and everything else I'd tried--and I tried nearly everything--lasted about 6-8K miles.

Sure enough, those bad boys lasted two years and 12,000 miles. Low mileage years, again, because I was broke, but I did manage to get in two extended tours.

Finally, they gave up the ghost, and on the road again with more money in my pocket I had them replaced with Metzler Z-whatevers 'cause that's all they had and I was in a foreign land--St. Louis.

Though I know that I'll be replacing them in 6000 miles, I must say that they make the bike feel better. It's not just "new tire effect"; after 3K I'm having more fun. The 880s were staid and solid and more boring.

So there's the tradeoff.

On an R1100RT. Took mine off yesterday with 13,400+ miles after 19 months. Front was worn enough to need changing, plenty left on rear.

Were you on the Interstates the entire time? I don't scrape any parts, but I do have fun and I am getting about 5,000 miles on a front/rear pair of PR2s. I don't understand these reports of over 10K on PR2 tires.

I finally put the 880s on when I was broke, because I needed a high mileage tire and everything else I'd tried--and I tried nearly everything--lasted about 6-8K miles.

Sure enough, those bad boys lasted two years and 12,000 miles. Low mileage years, again, because I was broke, but I did manage to get in two extended tours.

Finally, they gave up the ghost, and on the road again with more money in my pocket I had them replaced with Metzler Z-whatevers 'cause that's all they had and I was in a foreign land--St. Louis.

Though I know that I'll be replacing them in 6000 miles, I must say that they make the bike feel better. It's not just "new tire effect"; after 3K I'm having more fun. The 880s were staid and solid and more boring.

So there's the tradeoff.

You might try using a Z6 on the front with an 880 on the rear - that's what I do. The Z6 on front lasts about as long as the 880 rear.

short hijack ref PR2s

..13,400+ miles... plenty left on rear.

Were you on the Interstates the entire time? I don't scrape any parts, but I do have fun and I am getting about 5,000 miles on a front/rear pair of PR2s. I don't understand these reports of over 10K on PR2 tires.

The original post/quote was mine. Daily commute is 30 miles RT, mostly interstate. The trip to CO was a mix of interstate and gorgeous mountain roads. I did bump the air from 35/40 to 40/45 just for grins which may have had an effect, and have never had tires go this long before.

I recently installed the Pirelli Angel STs on my R1100RT and I really like them. They seem nicely sticky and look good. The roll in on cornering really easy. Way easier than my Metzlers did. Although when I bought my bike the rear way a little flat down the middle on mine but not terrible, that may have affected the lean in on the old set. But the Angels just lean in really easily and transition from right to left effortlessly. They are really quiet too.

The only issues I have with them is I can't speak as too wear life since I only have 200 miles on them, and 2 times I have been leaned in preety hard and rolling on the throttle and crossed a paint line and the rear slipped just a tiny bit. They seem very sticky otherwise but on paint they seem to loose a bit of adhesion. Not an issue since it was minimal and felt very predictable not twitchy.

But the Angels just lean in really easily and transition from right to left effortlessly. They are really quiet too.

I put on Angels after a set of Continental Road Attacks. I find the Pirelli front much noisier -- annoyingly so -- than the CRA. Too soon to tell about mileage, although the front is looking about halfway gone at 4500 miles. I can't comment on the rear, because it was destroyed by a 3" oak splinter in October.

I replaced the rear with a Michelin (Anton had one on hand), and am hoping for decent mileage from it. That said, I have never gotten 10,000 miles from any modern radial tire, including ME880's.

well the PR2's are on the bike. Of course it has rained/snowed the last 24 hours and it's not gonna be a nice weekend. It may be a little while until I get to test them out. :(

But the Angels just lean in really easily and transition from right to left effortlessly. They are really quiet too.

I put on Angels after a set of Continental Road Attacks. I find the Pirelli front much noisier -- annoyingly so -- than the CRA. Too soon to tell about mileage, although the front is looking about halfway gone at 4500 miles. I can't comment on the rear, because it was destroyed by a 3" oak splinter in October.

I replaced the rear with a Michelin (Anton had one on hand), and am hoping for decent mileage from it. That said, I have never gotten 10,000 miles from any modern radial tire, including ME880's.

Wow my Angels seem really quiet to me. Substantial quieter than the Metzlers that were on it when I got it. The front Metzler was at least 50% still there when I got it but was noisier than my new tires.

On an R1100RT. Took mine off yesterday with 13,400+ miles after 19 months. Front was worn enough to need changing, plenty left on rear.

I'm not sure but maybe it's the type of PR2 you are buying. I've been looking at PR2's and Competition Accessories lists a "Z" and a "B" model tire in the same size. Maybe someone can shed some light on the difference. I have the ZR tire currently with about 6K miles and can probably get another 5K.

HP

I use the PR2 on the K12RS and love them. Great on the hwy and the twisties in rain or shine and unlike the Z6 you can tell when you need to replace them. I was a bit disappointed when the new RT came with Z6s installed.

Archived