IGNORED

Mounting Zumo 665 XM Antenna

Steve Kolenda

Steve Kolenda

I am looking for suggestions on mounting the XM antenna for my Zumo 665 on my 2011 R1200RT. I am using the BMW bracket to mount the GPS to but not sure where to mount the antenna. Has anyone tried mounting under the fairing?

I have used this to mount a ZUMO 665 on an 06 R12RT and maybe it can be adapted to fit the 11 models too. It fits between the GPS docking station and the BMW GPS mounts on the handlebars mounting screws. You can't mount the XM antenna under the fairing because it requires an unobstructed view of the sky to receive signals. I hope this helps , Ross http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045051052052085/Default.aspx

Hey Steve:

I guess the new 'baby' is safely tucked into the garage, by now?

Give us a call and we can give you some ideas on the GXM-40 antenna mounting.

You can't mount the XM antenna under the fairing because it requires an unobstructed view of the sky to receive signals.

Tried under the fairing, very poor/intermittent reception. Same-same under/behind the dash.

At the suggestion of Angel I velcroed it on the top of the Autocom unit already mounted in the tail section (R1200RT). So basically, under the tupperware and under the tail rack.

Works fine around here (large urban area) on day rides, not so well with trunk or soft bag mounted above it for longish trips. But, by using the original short "puck" cord, I connect it to the longer cord perminantly mounted under the gas tank & can take it off & velcro outside when traveling thru those remote areas.

836239680_8nmt6-M.jpg833370601_goVej-M.jpg

Pics taken after long ride thru the rain; since cleaned up. :)

Archived