IGNORED

Some Photography from Chile

David

Nice photos. Very artistic.

I think I just saw about 10,000 photos from Chile and Argentina, after dakat told me dakar was there.

I guess that was to the north of where you were?

dc

Thanks!

Nice work. The rail station was quite a find, but my fave is the graffiti art.

Your hdr's are excellent. Not the slightest hint of overcooked haunting those. I wouldn't have known if you hadn't said.

What do you use for hardware, David? I know you're a Canon guy. What's your camera of choice and staple lenses?

I sold my 1Ds Mark II used for $2,500 and bought a 5D Mark II for $2,500. I gave up a few things, like writing to dual cards, weatherproofing, and number of focus points, but I gained higher resolution, less noise at high ISO, updated focus algorithms, and a much better LCD screen. This was my first time using the camera, and I'm very happy with the choice.

The lens I took (all "L") lenses:

16-35mm f/2.8L

24-70mm f/2.8L

70-200mm f/2.8L w/ IS

Nice photos. Very artistic.

I think I just saw about 10,000 photos from Chile and Argentina, after dakat told me dakar was there.

I guess that was to the north of where you were?

dc

I'm not positive, David, but I think that's right. I found Chile to be a little like California. Tall and thin, with every climate imaginable.

Thanks, Jan. Have you tried any of the Nik software packages? They'll fit right into your workflow in Aperture or Lightroom, and they are just fantastic. I turned Scott onto them as well.

I've been thinking about them as well (Nik software). I use Lightroom 3 for my post processing and I find it to be very good at noise reduction and control. I do wonder what plugin's could do for me, but I also realize that my skill level is not yet at the point where the limits of either my camera or the processing software are an issue.

I love them... Once again you inspire me.

I recently purchased a Canon G11 for my Tuscany Tour trip, but I got lazy and didn't learn how to use it to anywhere near its potential.

JohnnyJ

Thanks, guys.

Johnny, that's a great camera! Some of my favorite shots were taken with my iPhone. Just spend a little time with it and have fun.

Great shots, David! Did you have any of the great wine down there? The great food?

I went to a wine seminar on Chilean wines this Saturday, but no ... I didn't get anywhere close to Chile! I've never been but want to go someday.

BTW: You Suck! (Oops! Did I say that out loud! Never mind me ... I'm just jealous. :D Hope you had a fabulous time! :) )

Thanks, Jan. Have you tried any of the Nik software packages? They'll fit right into your workflow in Aperture or Lightroom, and they are just fantastic. I turned Scott onto them as well.

Yes you did! Very useful tools. Silver EFX is my favorite. I find the control point function in all their products to be very powerful.

They even have an HDR product now. I'm playing with the trial. I don't like Photomatix.

Wonderful images!!!! Thanks for sharing . . .

Great pix, thanks for posting them. Reminded me of our 1975 adventure, which included Chile. Here's a couple of shots from back then, using an archaic medium called a "slide." We didn't ride that particular train, but routinely rode similar conveyances. The volcano is Villarrica. The pix are clickable.

th_SteamEngine.jpg

th_Villarrica.jpg

Archived