IGNORED

Help.. any thoughts on which one?

w2ge

My first post on your forum..TIA!

I hope this post isn't against guidlines as it does list retailers. I am getting away from Cruisers and am very interested in a R1200RT. Right now two interest me: (Both 2010)

http://www.ccbmw.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=00866968X1K15K2011J10I26I18JAMQ3313R0&veh=152043&pov=1918908

Pros: Love the color, LOW mileage-407 miles!, no trunk, tank bag, GPS and no cruise, but a throttlemeister is installed and the dealer is in my state and the closest BMW dealer to me, (local dealer closed but 30 year BMW cert. master mechanic (Rob Kiviat in CHerry Hill, NJ) has shop 9 miles from me for non-warranty, etc.. (I plan to do routine maintenance myself) but asking price is so close to this other one:

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/machine/details.asp?ID=2875

Pros: EVERYTHING but ASC... Will I miss that? Dealer is 6.5 hours away, Bike has 4,200 miles. BMW Trunk, tankbag and BMW GPS. Not that crazy about the Zebra print but it is not a deal breaker and only asking 500 more.

Appreciate any thoughts, Thanks Phil

w2ge@comcast.net

+1 on MAX. Great folks to deal with.

You may be able to do better than the posted price if you talk to Frank @ the NH store.

Also, they just opened a store in CT and would probably transfer the bike there for you if it helped seal the deal.

Good luck and welcome to the board!

No cruise is a deal breaker for me and for that type of money I would get one with everything I wanted.

There are more out there but if I had to choose between the 2 it would be the Max one.

Just me though.

Appreciate all the responses, Yeah, I'm leaning towards the one at Max's... How much of a factor is NOT having ASC? I understand it can be added for about $700 at any time?

TIA

P.S. Is there a setting on this board so that I will get instant email when a response is posted???

Appreciate all the responses, Yeah, I'm leaning towards the one at Max's... How much of a factor is NOT having ASC? I understand it can be added for about $700 at any time?

TIA

P.S. Is there a setting on this board so that I will get instant email when a response is posted???

I don't have ASC and I don't miss it, but I do wish I had TPM.

In response to:

Poster: w2ge

Subject: Re: Help.. any thoughts on which one?

TIA

No, only for PM's

Welcome to the club! I went from cruisers to an R1150RT a few years ago. It took me a year of riding to really appreciate the BMW, but now I would have nothing but. The more I get to know her, the better she feels!

I'd buy the MAX bike, because you're going to going farther than you did on the cruiser and that tour pak is worth a lot of money!

In response to:

TIA

No, only for PM's

Actually you can - from the 'Topic Options' menu, select 'Add to my watched topics' - then go to 'My Stuff' (top middle), select 'Preferences' and select 'automatically email me if my watched topics change'.

Andy

What's ASC? Or for that matter TPM?

Guess that tells you my answer: No, I personally wouldn't miss either one....

(oh yeah, tpm = tire pressure monitor. yeah, sounds nice, but not necessary...)

n response to:

Poster: Boffin

Originally Posted By: Lmar

Quote:

In response to:

TIA

No, only for PM's

Actually you can - from the 'Topic Options' menu, select 'Add to my watched topics' - then go to 'My Stuff' (top middle), select 'Preferences' and select 'automatically email me if my watched topics change'.

Andy

Thank you. You learn something new every day.

I'm confused. Are you saying that, if you bought a bike from Dealer A, you can't have warranty work done at Dealer B?

Will Max BMW only do warranty work on bikes they sell?

I think ASC is only important on the higher HP bikes such as the Ks. It's unlikely you're going to break traction in a corner by accidently downshifting and cracking the throttle at a low lean angle on a Boxer. Of course, I know a few on this board who do that on a regular basis.

:grin:

Neither of my RT's had ASC and I feel like you about it.

Thought about spending about $150 for Tire Gard (old review?) ? I recently added one to my RT and it works very well. Works a LOT better than the TPM on my wife's 328i which only advises when the pressure is low, not the actual pressure.

I don't understand No Cruise... on the first one. I thought all RT's imported to the US market came with it.

I didn't like the write-up on the first one. Trying to be cute...

Go with MAX...

CoarsegoldKid

BMW cruise control vs. Throttlemister. BMW cruise control every time. No comparison. I can't believe someone ordered an RT without cruise.

My opinion on what is needed from factory is cruise control,and heated grips. It used to be that if you got one you got the other in a package. Nice to have would be Bike Computer, and the ESA if it is better that in the past. At least now when they wear out you can have an aftermarket shock company rebuilt them for the ESA. If I knew what ASC was I would give my 2 cents on that. Computerized Traction control I have never experienced.

Well... Go to call em' up today to say I'm going to buy it.... (Max's) and it's sold.

I wanna cry.

So, If anyone hears of a loaded used 2010 R1200RT, I'd love to hear about it.. Thanks,

Phil

w2ge@comcast.net

Used bikes generally don't stay at Max's for long. If you find one, move quickly. I bought my wife's R850R from there and was happy with the experience. I bought my 2009 RT from CCBMW in Metuchen and they're fine too. Either way, as spring approaches, picking will only get slimmer.

-MKL

I hear ya Max.. (I'm in Voorhees, btw by Cherry Hill). I talked to CC afterwards and asked them to see what they can do. Might have to dig even deeper and look at new 2011. Really don't want to do that, I swore never to buy new as I've learned my lesson on getting my azz kicked with depreciation.

I'm also gonna try out the 2011Concours 14 ABS.

Depreciation matters if you're going to sell in the short term. If you're going to ride the wheels off of it, it doesn't much matter. The 2010 is the first year of the new head on R models, keep in mind.....

-MKL

Yeah, I hear ya' re: depreciation).

I don't quite understand your statement re: the 10' with the new heads? (as well as a few other changes) Do you mean this as a cautionary thing... or as a good thing? If I look at pre-2010 then a WHOLE lot more used bikes become interesting/available.. (but I'm avoiding 2005/6.. so I've been told)

(P.S. Checked out your links and as a subscriber of MCN had read your articles in the past.. nice)

I'm going to the IMS show, BTW this Saturday.

BMW cruise control vs. Throttlemister. BMW cruise control every time. No comparison. I can't believe someone ordered an RT without cruise.

My opinion on what is needed from factory is cruise control,and heated grips. It used to be that if you got one you got the other in a package. Nice to have would be Bike Computer, and the ESA if it is better that in the past. At least now when they wear out you can have an aftermarket shock company rebuilt them for the ESA. If I knew what ASC was I would give my 2 cents on that. Computerized Traction control I have never experienced.

Absolutely agree. I had cruise on my RT and used it more than the cruise on my car. My C14 does not have cruise (isn't an option) and I installed a throttlemeister. No comparison. A popular mod is to retrofit an aftermarket automotive cruise control to these bikes. STILL not as functional as the BMW factory cruise. I have ASC on my C14, and it's quite nice on wet roads. It's kicked in a couple times even on dry roads.

Yeah.. No cruise on the C14 and no radio.. Can you tell me what you think of the C14 vs. the R1200RT? I can get a 2011 C14 new for 5K cheaper than a new 2011 R1200RT (w/ premium package.)

How about comfort, especially two-up? Thanks

I looked at the C14 too. Bags seemed a little smaller, ergos were more sporty and it doesn't have all the features. What it came down to was, I'd have to get a peg lowering kit, bar risers, a different seat (Russell or Rich Mayer) and a topcase comparable to the BMW 49L to make it equivalent to a stock RT. Thing is, even the RT ergos aren't UJM enough for me. So, the difference in price was 2-3K before the mods I'd have to do the C14 (I bought a 2009 leftover in November and got the 49L topcase thrown in) and added in, that difference shrinks. Yeah the C14 is faster and quicker, but it doesn't matter to me as I am not a squid. I came from a Nomad, so the RT is awesome in comparison. If the C14 had a more rational seating position, had cruise control and a better seat, may be I would have bought it. I just wanted to get a bike out of the showroom that needed the least dickering that had everything I wanted.

I'm going to try to go Friday to the IMS.

Re 2010 I don't mean it necessarily as a caution. I got my '09 new as a leftover from CCBMW at a ridiculously low price. 2010s were available. At the time the economy was in the tank and it's a 4 year old design, so I got a great deal. I feel more comfy with that than with a first year of a redesign. That's just me.

-MKL

I'm going to try to go Friday to the IMS.

Re 2010 I don't mean it necessarily as a caution. I got my '09 new as a leftover from CCBMW at a ridiculously low price. 2010s were available. At the time the economy was in the tank and it's a 4 year old design, so I got a great deal. I feel more comfy with that than with a first year of a redesign. That's just me.

-MKL

I felt the same way. I could have spent another 2K+ on the 2010/2011, but the 2009 is proven. I didn't like the switch gear on the handlebars with the newer bikes. It seems cheesy. The gas tank is smaller too. Anyway, I bought my 2009 new, so it has the 3 year warranty. I can't understand why it never sold. it's a great bike.

Yeah.. No cruise on the C14 and no radio.. Can you tell me what you think of the C14 vs. the R1200RT? I can get a 2011 C14 new for 5K cheaper than a new 2011 R1200RT (w/ premium package.)

How about comfort, especially two-up? Thanks

Comfort wise, they are pretty equivalent. People say the RT has a bit more upright seating position but they seem the same to me. The C14 is more sportbike like in a heavy lean, so I guess the seating postion probably is more leaned forward. I haven't ridden two up on the C14 yet, so I can't really comment on that. It IS a whole lot heavier to start with, though, particularly up top, so that is going to be a downside to two up riding.

I posted my review in this thread. I have a 2010 but the only thing different on the 2011 is a larger windshield and different color scheme: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=639671&Searchpage=3&Main=57920&Words=Concours&Search=true#Post639671

avoid the '05/'06?... not

Whoever told you to avoid those years is uninformed and misleading. Those years do have the Servo Assisted brakes that some riders do not favor.

It is a matter of personal preference, or said another way owners of 05/06 models who refuse to learn how to use them dislike them. I could go on and on about it but its not necessary. The brakes work great- maybe too well.

The market for pre 2010 RT's is good and will get better IMO. Keep shopping and good luck.

I'm in the minority on this forum, but there are much better bikes for the buck out there besides BMW. Don't be color blind!

BMW has a long warranty, but you will pay for it up front, as lots of people actually use it.

Dave_zoom_zoom
avoid the '05/'06?... not

Whoever told you to avoid those years is uninformed and misleading. Those years do have the Servo Assisted brakes that some riders do not favor.

It is a matter of personal preference, or said another way owners of 05/06 models who refuse to learn how to use them dislike them. I could go on and on about it but its not necessary. The brakes work great- maybe too well.

The market for pre 2010 RT's is good and will get better IMO. Keep shopping and good luck.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well.. looks like I got a bike. Found a 2010 (bought in August) with 2150 miles: (off the spec sheet)

Thunder Grey MET

Heated Seats

Heated Grips

On Board Computer

Accessory Socket

ESA (Electronic Suspension

Cruise Control

and BMW tankbag and optional windshield (as well as stock)

BUT, No stereo... So??? Do I go with say the SENA SMH10? and get my tunes to it from where??? Does anyone use their GPS as their MP3 player? Or just get Ipod, etc???

I apologize in advance if this has been talked about ad-nauseum before.

Now I have to pay to get the bike shipped to me... ;-(

I have all my tunes loaded on my Zumo 550. I also have them on an MP3 player that has FM. Most folks on this site would suggest the factory stereo isn't very useful above about 30...

...Heated Seats

Heated Grips...

Now I have to pay to get the bike shipped to me... ;-(

How far away is the bike? With heated grips and seat, you should be good at least down to freezing. You could ride it back to NJ between snow storms. :Cool:

Selden, I thought about it... but the weather around here has been rough. 2 to 4 inches of snow predicted for tonight.. and 23 as the high on Saturday. Brrr... (Which will lead me to how do I hook up my Gerbing power lead?)

Bike is 1,800 miles away. I think shipping is cheaper than the flight, time, away form work, etc.. ;-)

How about the Scala G4? I have heard good things about it.

Yep.. not sure which one to get.. I see WebBikeWorld does like the SENA; they gave it some sort of 2010 award.

"Bike is 1,800 miles away. I think shipping is cheaper than the flight, time, away form work, etc.. "

Yes. Try to arrange shipping from dealer to dealer. Companies charge less even if you pay something to a dealer for loading/unloading. It is also easier for you to pick the day when you get it home.

You will not miss the radio.

Getting Tunes to your head is possible via many different options.

I also use the Zumo GPS and it can hold up to 1000 songs including the album art etc... or more if you are creative.

The issue resolves itself to whether you want wires to/from your helmet (ears) or not.

Congratulations on the decision and purchase.... like Paul said- dealer to dealer shipping is best.

Never heard of webbikeworld.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/sena-smh10-intercom/

I'll be talking/shopping tomorrow at the IMS show in NYC and will be looking at the CardioScala and Sena.

Thanks all for the kind words... (and didn't mean to offend 05/6 owners, I was just advised as to the brake servo replacement cost if it went bad, that was the only caution)

Glad to be joining the BMW fraternity!

Archived