IGNORED

Anyone familiar with a 90's Honda XR650L?

cali_beemer

I was looking at KLR's becasue eventually i am thinking of buying a cheap older KLR to go on some dirt roads. I started finding some early 90's Honda XR650L's that are steet legal. Anyone familiar with these? Can anyone recomend another good cheap dual sport bike? CHEAP! It seems the DR650, KLR 650 and Honda are the only 3 I am seeing in addition there are are Suzuki 400's.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

My riding buddy, Sacto929, has a XR650R. My impression is that they're pretty bullet proof. I looked, but couldn't find one that was affordable when I picked up my KLR last year.

If I may chime in.

TO me Dual Sport means = not really good in dirt and not really good in street.

I am guessing you want the older model XR KLR DRs.

It depends on your idea of trail riding.

Is it just flat dirt, or rocky, loos rock , hilly or very uneven?

I owned a DRZ400 for two years and I put it through hell. Enduro and hairscrambler type trails. This DRZ400 was the dirt version made street legal.

With this being said, it is much easier to make a DS bike street legal here in Texas than in Cali.

The DRZ is available plated street legal format as well, but heavier, not as good suspended and engine was a bit detuned.

If the trail is smooth like jeep trail the larger cc bike 650 will be better and faster once you are on the pavement. the KLR and the XR are heavier and not as nimble as the DRZ400.

SO if you are going on rough trail and top speed is not important I would pick the DRZ400. The DRZ is a bit weak on the street.

MY second pick would be the XR. It is still better in dirt than a KLR.

The KLR would be great on unimprooved dirt county roads, more comfy.

And the XR would be just as good but better in dirt.

KLR = large gas tank = much longer range than the others.

DRZ and KLR = water cooled = wider because of the radiator.

XR air coolled = simple and slimmer.

KLR heaviest, XR mid , DRZ lightest.

So is the KLR the best bet for a really really cheap trail bike that is street legal?

The KLR is great for fire roads/logging roads/NF roads. "Roads" meaning 2-track somewhat maintained dirt. In single track, its a pig. Great for "exploring"--if you start getting into the really rough stuff, you just do a 180. It will travel on pavement well enough to take you from home to the fire roads in relative comfort, unlike some of the smaller 250-400cc size bikes that would not be fun on the highway for any distance. I like my KLR!

Danny caddyshack Noonan
So is the KLR the best bet for a really really cheap trail bike that is street legal?

Hmmm. Kind of. True we have some inane laws here on DS plating bikes. KLRs have been made for a long time so, there are some supplies of parts out there. The plastic is susceptible to sun damage.

I like mine because, well it's mine and it was under 2k for a 97 (i think). As stated, works great on dirt roads and some single track. If you can finesse a clutch, it'll go on rough terrain. But, it is heavy. They love to eat license plates in fast rough stuff. I lost mine near Markleeville.

Doesn't seem to want to slide into turns but, that was with a full emergency kit in the tail bag and ammo.

It isn't comfy to ride more than a couple hours at a time. Butt cheek issue with the seat. For me, the footpegs don't work with MX type boots (11). I moved them back and down a bit so it's a bit easier now.

It isn't comfy to ride more than a couple hours at a time. Butt cheek issue with the seat. For me, the footpegs don't work with MX type boots (11). I moved them back and down a bit so it's a bit easier now.

Agree with Peter above re. OEM seat--it is not good. But with the Sargent seat I can ride all day with no thoughts of my butt.

cali_beemer,

I too live in Folsom. I have a 1997 XR600R that is plated. I love it! If you would like to come over sometime I can show you the bike and you can take it for a spin. If I were to sell it, I would sell it for about $2,500 or so since it is plated and just had some work done to it. Not that it is for sale...I'm just sayin' what I would value it at.

The ONLY problem is the fact that the older R bikes are not electric start and they can get tiring if you can't start them right away.

Mine was a 1 or 2 kick start until a mechanic took the choke out when he rejetted the carb. Now if it isn't warm outside it takes FOREVER. But once it is warmed it fires first kick. Soon I am going to put a new after-market carb on it with a choke and it will be a one kick wonder again.

They are also faster than the L bikes I guess, and the older ones do not have the charcoal can or any of the other emissions crap on it.

cali_beemer,

I too live in Folsom. I have a 1997 XR600R that is plated. I love it! If you would like to come over sometime I can show you the bike and you can take it for a spin.

I have a friend that has a XR650R and I have ridden it. Its quite the animal. I am afraid that may be too much bike for me since i have never ridden offroad. I thought the older XL's were not as powerfull.

Archived