IGNORED

Welding R1100RT Pipe

Frog

The very back exit point of my muffler pipe on my R1100RT is cracking around the weld. I think this is all stainless steel, so I doubt it is rusted away, just cracked. I am going to weld it but was curious if anyone has welded on a stainless steel pipe and has any advice. Will most likely be using an arc or wire feed welder.

Frog

I wouldn't go near an exhaust pipe with an arc welder unless I wanted more holes.

For best results on stainless exhausts you need 0.6 - 0.8mm stainless wire in your MIG and a high percentage argon gas mix, C2 has always worked well for me. Stainless does not like much carbon dioxide.

Work closer to the subject than you would with carbon steel and set the MIG so you are getting a globular transfer, it's a slower process than mild/carbon welding so be patient.

Finally, I always use a new tip when welding stainless, particularly on a visually important piece like a motorcycle exhaust.

Thanks for the good info, will look into using a wire feed MIG. Not sure I am qualified to do it though. Hmmm, don't want to spring for an expensive new pipe though either!

Frog

If you have doubts about being able to accomplish the job in a satisfactory manner, any decent fabrication shop in your area should be able to conduct the repair at very little cost given the way you have described it.

Either way, good luck with it.

The very back exit point of my muffler pipe on my R1100RT is cracking around the weld. I think this is all stainless steel, so I doubt it is rusted away, just cracked. I am going to weld it but was curious if anyone has welded on a stainless steel pipe and has any advice. Will most likely be using an arc or wire feed welder.

Frog

I've has the hanger tab on the can re-welded twice after if fractured. Took it to the man. Second time he reinforced it with a small stainless triangular gusset. Looks fine, held up so far...

ShovelStrokeEd

Forget about using a stick welder, even if you can find a rod with decent flux. Tig or Mig are the only way to go. If there is much residue on the inside of the welded area you are gonna be in for a hard time anyway.

I would just check with Beemer Boneyard and try and buy a used pipe.

Okay, well that leaves me a few options to work with listed by increasing cost.

Just leave it and enjoy the throaty sound it makes now.

Take it to a professional welder, I would hope $50 or less? Some of those welding shops won't even fart in your direction for less than $100 though.

Used pipe, about $100 with freight on eBay.

Mig/Tig welder. I was looking at one at Harbor Freight but not sure if they are any good? $200-$250.

New pipe, about $400-$500

Buy new BMW K1600GTL and never look back.$20K+

Thanks for all your replies,

Frog

Broke my muffler hanger twice also. First time rienforced with one 1/4" diameter rod section (bent into a 'dogbone' shape to fit) and had a local shot weld it. Broke again, so I doubled the 1/4" rod and welded it myself with MIG - still holding. My question is why did it break in the first place (and second place), since there are no major forces applied there.

Archived