IGNORED

"Older Than Dirt" quiz

Joe Frickin' Friday

Does anyone remember a transparent film that you stuck on your TV screen? I think it was supposed to give a color appearance to the picture. Maybe I'm just imagining it.

I don't remember a film for that reason. There was a show called Winky Dink and Me that used one on the screen so kids could draw on the screen to join in the program.

http://www.tvacres.com/art_paintings_winky.htm

Burt, I think that's it. I remember that it was greenish. I got the intended purpose wrong. I figure I couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 years old.

Does anyone remember a transparent film that you stuck on your TV screen? I think it was supposed to give a color appearance to the picture. Maybe I'm just imagining it.

I don't remember a film for that reason. There was a show called Winky Dink and Me that used one on the screen so kids could draw on the screen to join in the program.

Burt, I think that's it. I remember that it was greenish. I got the intended purpose wrong. I figure I couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 years old.

I think you might have the purpose right. I'm pretty sure there were two screens, the Winky Dink "you can draw on your TV", but there was another "color TV" screen that I think had 3 horizontal stripes, maybe blue, brown, and green (??) I guess "colorizing" the sky, ground and grass while watching cartoons. Can't remember whether or not I liked it.

Jerry Johnston

Yes, it was green and was supposed to make the scenery look almost colored. Of course the people looked green also. Wasn't it a Hoffman Easy Vision?

Jerry Johnston

Well.....at age 72 I got all of them but feel only 40 until I look at my drivers license. I still younger than Paul or oldmoto. Maybe even younger than Joe's rocks. :rofl:

Well.....at age 72 I got all of them but feel only 40 until I look at my drivers license. I still younger than Paul or oldmoto. Maybe even younger than Joe's rocks. :rofl:

Emphasis on the "OLD" in Oldmoto....I think he use to watch Paul when he raced and was old enough to buy beer.... :grin:

Cars: Nash Metropolitan and Rambler, Willys, Edsel, Corvair, Isetta and Messerschmitt micro cars.

Ahh, the Nash Metropolitan! I think they are kinda cool! 'Course, when I was young, I thought they looked goofy.

For anyone who hasn't seen one, they were tiny:

5405.jpg.2dca4ca7203ef4a2ad7bfc2f13a0b314.jpg

Well.....at age 72 I got all of them but feel only 40 until I look at my drivers license. I still younger than Paul or oldmoto. Maybe even younger than Joe's rocks.

Emphasis on the "OLD" in Oldmoto....I think he use to watch Paul when he raced and was old enough to buy beer.... :grin:

What Redbrick did not tell you is that he is older than Oldmoto...In fact he used to be a star on TV...The Show :) Antique roadshow :rofl:

It was a green plastic film that you could draw on with crayons or markers that would wipe off when you were done. I think I had to send to the show for the film and markers. I was about 7-8 years old then.

I remember them all. I also remember when the milk man delivered those glass bottles of milk, cream and butter to the house and his vehicle was a horse drawn cart. The horse knew the route and would proceed to the next alley along the route with a special whistle signal from the milkman while he made the deliveries. We used to save the heels of the bread to feed the horse. (Edmonton, Alberta Canada in 1958) Another question: When did Clorox Bleach no longer use brown glass bottles?

For those older than dirt...

Back then could you even dream that you'd be riding a motorcycle with cruise control, heated grips and seat, brakes that don't lock up, and a magical map that constantly shows you exactly where you are and how to get where you're going?

Older than dirt motocross/dirt riders remember:

The smell of castor oil in the morning.

The sound of un-muffled expansion chambers and 4-stroke thumpers echoing through the trees.

You're older than dirt if you've ever used a compression release.

Edit:

I guess this one doesn't apply since the re-emergence of the competitive thumper.

I still like the smell of two stroke oil. One of my sons raced motocross for a while, and the smell of the the two stroke oil really brought back good memories of dirt riding.

Definitely not a dirt bike (although I did take it out in the fields a few times before getting my license), my 1952 Allstate/Vespa scooter had a weak 6V magneto, and adding some model airplane fuel (methanol, nitromethane, castor oil) to a tank of gas perked it right up -- and created a unique exhaust smell.

I just realized I'm old enough to remember who Farfel is/was. I went into the Rocky Mountain Candy Store in Ashland, Oregon, and I thought about Farfel.

I couldn't find his video from the early 50's, but, even tho' I don't believe in reincarnation, he was reincarnated in 1992.

dc

Yeeha! Stephen
Ron, I remember ads in Pop Sci for some kind of revolving disk that you put in front of the TV with three colored filters that was supposed to give you color.

----

How FUNNY!!!!

We were just talking about that a couple of days ago!

Went to a small town cafe for lunch and amid some of the junk on display was an old tv circa 1950. Someone asked around if anyone remembered that gizmo. About 1/3 of us did! Ha!

Archived