IGNORED

K1300GT Farkles

Francis

I just purchased a 2009 K1300GT and traded off my 1150RT. I'm new to the GT and excited at the riding potential ahead.

I'd like to add a Steibel air horn, moto lights down low and driving lights up top (I have discovered Jimmy brackets from Denver BMW)

I'd appreciate any recommendations for the driving lights and any available "how to's" on the other items. Any other recommendations, maintenance issues/items and comfort tips would be appreciated (I have purchased a set of peg lowering bars as I am 6'3" and understnd these are helpful. I have the oil change and rear end fluid change articles from BMWON).

I am also interested in the repair manual or repair-CD for this bike.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Francis

Here

Here

I have quite a few farkles sitting around as mine is now GONE - Bar risers, Ztechnik screen, GPS mount, color matched top case in red with key cylinder, and some other stuff. If there is anything I can do to help you let me know.

Enjoy your new ride and remember that the cruise control was added for only one purpose, to keep you from getting too many speeding tickets. Without it, you will find yourself going very fast!

Francis,

Glad to see you found some peg lowers. They will make a great improvement and you will quickly adapt to the different pedal orientation. I would grab Phil's bar risers and Ztechnik. I had both on my old K13GT and they add comfort for taller riders. You may also want to consider a better seat as most riders find the stock one sucks. Lots of debate of which seat is better -- search the archives here and on K-bikes.com and I-BMW.com. A couple of other accessories I found useful were the Verholen small tank bag:

http://pirateslair.net/ProductGT.htm

...and the Illum sidestand foot:

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=43161

Enjoy!

Phil, thanks for your note. I had seen your postings on the k-bike site and was very impresed with all the work you put into that bike. Your Centec and AutoCom installation looked very clean. Sorry about your clutch situation. I'm sure it was very frustrating situation...especially after the business you had given to that dealership.

I have many of the items you have recommended. The lighting and horn are especially important to me now as riding here in New York City requires a lot of defensive capabilities.

I loved your post on the surprise birthday part for your wife. I hope she is still grinning from her new bike.

We have 6 inches of new snow on the ground here and the temperature is dropping into the low 20's so right now all I can do is talk about riding and get everything ordered and ready for the spring.

Francis

Please do not take this wrong but do NOT put your safety in to the hands of a light bulb or horn. It will never work. Ever.

As for the Centech and comms.......I have those available as well. I don't want to violate the proper ethic and order of things as it relates to selling items, I just mention them to you here as I have had absolutely no time to get things photographed and posted up in our classifieds. I hope to work on this soon. We've been a bit pre-occupied of late.

Phil,

Ethics smethics.

This is the K bike forum.

I don't think we even get adminmonitorated.

:grin:

With an averag of about a post a day...

Francis, enjoy the new bike, even if it is off raod for now.

Best wishes.

Thanks guys for the input. I have demo'd this bike and am really looking forward to having it on a fulltime basis.

I appreciate the input on horns and lights. After 20+ years of New York City (Manhattan) driving its skill plus the aforementioned horns and bulbs that keep us safe. Traffic margins are very tight here and between cabs, cars, bicycles and jay walking pedestraians plus the general level of street noise one must be well prepared for the unexpected....all the time.

I hope to pick up the bike from the dealer tomorrow if the temperature gets up a few more degrees and the ice is of the streets. This morning it was 20F and our high for the day is 30F. I don't have to go that far so hopefully everything will work out.

Hey Phil

Congratulaitons on adding a new rider to the family. She was probaly in a hurry to get here in time to help you select your next ride. I'm sure the two of you are quite busy with this lovely bundle of joy.

Happy New Year

Francis

Francis,

Congrats on your new GT. I've had mine for a year now and still love it.

About adding lights, I went with motolights (black 55W) they look good and gets me noticed. Pirates Lair has several lighting options for the rear.

Would recommend the stebel air horn too!

I'll PM you some links.

Brian

I added a set of hyper lights to the rear and am getting piaa's for the front. also checking into a slip on exhaust...nothing obnoxious, just a little louder. jim

Archived