IGNORED

New Bike in Stable

Knifemaker

Not really new... Danny (Huzband), Matt and I picked this up Saturday to add to the collection...Restoration is underway although she does not need much....

1974 Honda CB350 four..2500 original miles and un-touched...

1154663397_XknAy-M.jpg

1154663432_Lrtb2-M.jpg

1154663443_CSfEf-M.jpg

1154663436_XPMSR-M.jpg

Looks great! I rescued a CB500 four a few years ago, but it was in nowhere near the condition of your 350. I found it for what I imagined was a bargain, then spent a couple of years and untold sums of money getting back to an acceptable state of appearance and operation. I felt good about having revived it from its mechanical torpor, but I realized soon after starting the project that it would cost an unreasonable amount to bring it back to anything resembling its original appearance.

It looks like you found a keeper!

Great find. Outstanding looking, especially if all is original. How does she run?

Everything to my knowledge is all original. I will need to check to see if the seat strap and hardware were an option because these are missing. Also if 2 mirrors were and option this one has only one mirror. The tool tray,tools, and tool tray lid are missing...looks like someone pulled them out and forgot to replace them. Other than that she's all there.

The electrics all work... I will not attempt to start her up (even though the starter turns over) until I go through the carbs, points.plugs and such to make sure everything is up to snuff....

Beautiful find. What a cool little bike.

As a kid in the 70s my family had a dear friend who rode his little 350/4 with us all over LA Ca. My dad had a '69 750/4 and we rode 2 up while our friend John G. rode his 350/4. We had alot of great saturday afternoon rides.

He just recently passed of cancer at too young of an age. He will be missed, but I have some great memmories.

Best wishes on the restoration.

looks nice, how about you go wild?

Extend the front end, or go cafe.

I have a CB360 in the shop that I want to cafe...not the CB350/4 (too nice)

That was my first real bike. Mine was metalic green. I loved it, and did many miles, lots of 2-up riding with my new bride too.

I rode with guys on airhead BMWs, and they called me millions-of-revs.

I haven't been without a bike since then.

Nice. I had a '73 CB500/4. Original pipes rusted out and I put a set of Kerkers on it. Cheapaer than the Honda pipes.

Flks here are worrying about the tires. They don't seem to understand collectors do not put new rubber on unless they intend to operate it and even then the theory is 'why spend money on tires when i'm only going to ride a couple miles a year?'

Yours is a remarkable BARN FIND!

Nice bike! I would change the tires and ensure it is mechanically sound. I wouldn't restore. Enjoy the patina...

It is what it is, which I think is better than a restored bike. Either way - cool find!

Bill...I had CB 550 I bought new. The 2nd mirror was a dealer option, but it did come with the seat strap. I don't remember if the seat strap was an option.

Very nice. With the lack of surface rust and no obvious corrosion on the aluminum, I'm guessing it wasn't from Florida, or any coastal state.

With the lack of surface rust and no obvious corrosion on the aluminum, I'm guessing it wasn't from Florida, or any coastal state.

oddly enough this bike is a Florida east coast bike. although stored most of it's life in a climate controlld garage...

The 2nd mirror was a dealer option, but it did come with the seat strap. I don't remember if the seat strap was an option.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I thought maybe the mirror, but was still unsure about the seat strap...

My 1972 CB500 came with only 1 mirror which I thought was strange and the dealer added it for free but I can not remember the seat strap and the only picture I have left of it is one that I shot after I replaced it (the seat) with a Mustang seat in 1974....

Sweet little bike. Unbelievably good condition.

That's very close to my first bike, which was a CB360 (probably 1976). I think I got mine a year old, and almost unridden. I wanted a 750-4, but couldn't afford it, and this was such a sweet deal I just had to have it. It was my main set of wheels in college for a year or two 1978-1979. I don't even remember selling it - oh, yes I do. I think my dad sold it for me on consignment at the local Honda stop after I left for the Navy.

It was a nice ride. I still remember the vibration in the handle bars as it hit about 60 mph. :grin: It would go freeway speeds, but as a twin, it was buzzy on the freeway.

- Scott

Too nice Bill. You're getting lazy in your old age.

Lazy !!! I'll have you know I need to wash it.....Really it's kinda nice to have one to work on that did not come in separate boxes... :/

Amazing condition! The Honda 350 Four was one of my favorites, followed by the 400 Four in bright yellow with the single exhaust, and much later the GB500 thumper -- more British than the brit bikes.

It's somewhat sad that Honda seems to have lost their edge; they produced some fascinating motorcycles 1970-1990, then became much less innovative. I strongly suspect this was related to Soichiro San's death in 1991.

Not really new... Danny (Huzband), Matt and I picked this up Saturday to add to the collection...Restoration is underway although she does not need much....

1974 Honda CB350 four..2500 original miles and un-touched...

Do you know the history of this bike? Hard to believe someone bought it then essentially stored it for 35 yrs! :Cool:

Fun memories. I rode one of these as well as a sporty red 400F with low bars, but ended up owning an orange 550K for several years. My first real roadworthy bike; rode it 150miles a day for my first six week university summer school session. My very first day it rained the whole way, and I was so wet and tired when I arrived that I got off the bike without putting the side stand down. Especially embarrassing in front of your peers when you're trying to look cool.

Learned a lot with that bike, and loved the way it sounded.

Thanks for sharing.

Russ

Do you know the history of this bike? Hard to believe someone bought it then essentially stored it for 35 yrs!

The tale goes like this....The collector I got the bike from got it from another collector friend who had died. The bike was purchased new by the gentleman who purchased it for his son to learn how to ride. His son lost interest in riding and the bike has been sitting since.

Sweet bike!

It reminds me of the CB350 I found in a guys garage back in 1991. It was his son's bike and his son had passed away from an illness while in college. The bike sat in the same spot in their garage from 1972 to 1991 when I purchased it.

The tank and carbs needed an overhaul, but when that was done all it took was a new battery, an oil change and fresh gas, and 10 kicks to get her going again. I love the sound of those old twins.

I wish I still had that bike. The early Hondas are very cool.

131821837.jpg

"The tale goes like this....The collector I got the bike from got it from another collector friend who had died. The bike was purchased new by the gentleman who purchased it for his son to learn how to ride. His son lost interest in riding and the bike has been sitting since."

Thanks. Always interesting to me to learn about these things. I don't think I could ever be a collector and not ride..... :Cool:

My Dad bought a new CB 500F in '72. I was in 8th or 9th grade and I had to bring the owners manual to school to prove we had it! In '77 I bought my first road trip worthy bike, a used CB 500F and rode it all over the East Coast. I bought a fork mounted fairing from J C Whitney ( where else did you order parts from then? ), left its white gelcoat alone because I couldn't find he green paint to match. I thought I had the best bike in the world, riding in 20 and 30 degree weather with a fairing that covered my hands was amazing....at the time. Back then and still today I think the Honda Fours had the most beautiful exhaust systems ever on a bike. I remember when they came out with the 400F with the "cafe" look single black exhaust and thinking it just didn't look right. These bikes were simple perfection.

Everything to my knowledge is all original. I will need to check to see if the seat strap and hardware were an option because these are missing. Also if 2 mirrors were and option this one has only one mirror. The tool tray,tools, and tool tray lid are missing...looks like someone pulled them out and forgot to replace them. Other than that she's all there.

Seat Strap: It was common to remove the seat strap on the Honda Fours and then the Z1 and KZ Kawasakis ( I've had the pleasure of both!). Main reason was that on long trips the seat strap was right where you wanted your "tush" to sit. Remember, these bikes are small compared to todays bikes so you needed to move back on the seat sometimes. They also didn't look "cool" which of course was very important. :Cool:

Thanks for the memories. I got out of the US Army in 1972 and took all my Army savings and purchased my first real motorcycle - a 1973 Honda 500/Four. Looked at the 750/4 but it cost a little more than what I had. Not sure but I think it cost me about $1,300.

Wish I still had it.

tsp

2010 R1200RT

In 1974 I was 15 years old & this was the first MC I bought and it was new.I was living in Nova Scotia starting grade 11.This new Honda 350-4 cost me every dime I had at that time $1500.00 I purchaced it from Adrians BMW Honda in Moncton New Brunswick.When I was in his shop paying for the bike he showed me his service dept.There was a guy in for service from Texas on a BMW.Adrian looked at me and said pointing to the BMW "this is the bike you want to own one day son".I bought my first BMW in 1984 & have owned them ever since.

comstockrider

Wow, what a nice old bike. That brings back some memories. I was discharged from the good ole US Army in 72. My folks had planned to travel from NW Iowa to visit my sister in Dallas, so I tagged along. Visited a bike shop with my Dad while there and ended up driveing a CB350 back home to Iowa. Loaded my camping stuff and backpack and headed west. Met up with a guy from Chicago riding an old air head in Rapid City, and we traveled through Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana. Then I went back to Iowa to work. Some very good memories. Tks for bringing them back to light.

Happy motoring.

Archived