IGNORED

400 plus miles on a tank of gas? Moto Guzzi Stelvio

tallman

I'm wondering why no one here is mentioning the Moto Guzzi Stelvio?

8.5 gallon gas tank

With the threads about tank range, this one would seem to be a no brainer.

It compares very favorably to the tey-ney-rey IMO and recent Guzzi products seem pretty nice.

400 plus miles to a tank of gas, so where are all of you western wide open riders wrt this bike?

review link

The Duc dealer network is small, but I have no idea where the nearest Guzzi dealer resides!

Yamaha is everywhere, but the Super Tenere is another first year bike, sorta.

I see where BMW canceled another model, how long did that one last? 2 years?

Interesting bike with nice looking specs but a little light on suspension travel. Primary problem is lack of establish dealer network like Dave said. Also quite a bit more expensive than Yammy, similar to BMW.

There are at least as many Guzzi dealers as Beemer dealers around Long Island. Almost all Duc dealers also carry Guzzi.

Although this model is one of the better looking ones, I don't like the look of Guzzi's. It's primarily the aesthetic design of their engines. Seems to throw the looks of the whole bike off.

400 miles would sure be nice though.

The BMW GSA has an 8.7 gallon tank. According to the specs, the bike is rated at 43 mpg city and 50 highway. It should be capable of 400 miles.

You can also put a GSA tank on a GS. Sure, it's a little pricey ($1,800 I believe), but doable.

The BMW GSA has an 8.7 gallon tank. According to the specs, the bike is rated at 43 mpg city and 50 highway. It should be capable of 400 miles.

Actually it is a little over 9.2 (I've tested it) if you take the little rubber thingy out of the gas tank neck. I got 47 mpg at 60-65 mph (as speeds go up, mpg goes dramatically down). That would yield 432.

I got 47 mpg at 60-65 mph (as speeds go up, mpg goes dramatically down). That would yield 432.

Hey John....How do you do 432 miles in school zones in Tucson?? :dopeslap:

BTW- rode a goose in the late 70s...was a nice bike to cruise on... (850 Eldorado Tourer)....Not too great in the twisties, but I guess it depends on what you compare it to......

I've wanted a Guzzi for years, and the Stelvio caught my eye immediately. Unlike VinnyR11, I like the looks of most Guzzis, and the Stelvio has me drooling.

That said, there isn't a dealer within 500 miles, so that's a definite problem. Also, whenever I seriously start considering Guzzis, the specs rarely compare favorably to their competitors' bikes. And despite this, their prices are high.

So for me, it's always come down to being unwilling to pay premium prices for an also-ran bike from a dealer two states away — even though I'd love to have one. What I need is a good excuse to buy a Guzzi, but I've just never managed to come up with a good enough one yet. I sure wouldn't mind having a Stelvio in the garage, though.

I love the look of that bike from the tank down and back. Just the front part of the fairing looks odd to me. Too angular and pieced together looking. But the frame, motor, seat, tank, wheels, exhaust...everthing else is beautiful to me.

Too pricey for the lack of dealer support, and way too heavy. 585lbs DRY...add on 8.5gal....68is more pounds...633ish ponds...wow. I like the Benelli i posted earlier way better. From what i see, most dealers that would carry MG will also carry Benellis.

You can get a tank for the 800GS that increases capacity 9 gallons or so. At 50 mpg that would be further than anyones bladder could stand.

My friend has the earlier Stelvio and has a 4.something tank and gets fairly poor milage. He wouldn't want the bigger tank saying it would make the bike too heavy.

You can get a tank for the 800GS that increases capacity 9 gallons or so. At 50 mpg that would be further than anyones bladder could stand.

That's where an appliance would come in handy!

:D

Well according to the MotoGuzzi homepage (in Italian) the Stelvio has a tank capacity of 18 liters (4.76 US gall) + 3.5 liters reserve (.925 US gall).

Someone's math is a little awry.

HTH,

John

There is only one thing that I will concede that Moto Guzzi probably do better than BMW - and it is something you cannot measure and you cannot put a price on. They build "soul" into their motorcycles.

..and the second thing is style :grin:

Yes John and I also think the quoted dry weight is incorrect. The Guzzy website spec sheet quotes the dry weight as 214 kg for the ABS version (heavier) which computes to 472 lbs. Even if one assume the reserve is in addition to the 18 liter listed the spec as fuel tank size and adds the 4.5 liter resuere for a total of 22.5, it comes to about 5.9 gal total.

There is a 32L tank for one version of the bike.

Guzzi certainly fills most of the niches now with their various models.

Dealers are few for sure.

Owners seem like BMW owners wrt the marque.

They still rate low for dealer ratings, :( .

I think the bikes are cool and wish I had the mechanical ability to totally maintain one, and, aprts were more like BMW wrt to availability.

All in all a cool bike IMO.

Maintenance is like an Air Head, screw and nut adjusters for the valves. Easier than a Beemer because one looks down comfortably rather than bending over to see where the feeler gauges are going. Beemers and Guzzi's are both injected, not much different. The bleeders for the Guzzi clutch and brake are a bit of a bother to get at. PITA actually. The mileage on the Guzzi's sucks and Power commanders are a frequent mod that is done.

I've ridden the 1200 Stelvio, how many can say that? It has a vibration I didn't care for. Like it was out of TB sync. I rides like any GS and my buddy constantly craps in left handers when the side stand get ground down.

Older version had a switch operated glove box on the right side of the bike and had 4.8 gal. The new one has the bigger 8 gallon tank perhaps no glove box.

I would take any weight numbers as a suggested value of little meaning. I weighed my F800ST and it came in at 495 pounds with a full tank. More than the BMW site suggests. Go find a public scale and weigh your own bike and see if it is close to what the book says.

Yes the Guzzi people are a bit rabid in their enthusiasm. I would recommend a Guzzi rally for those that like to camp, I've been to a couple. Good comraderie and openess.

Well according to the MotoGuzzi homepage (in Italian) the Stelvio has a tank capacity of 18 liters (4.76 US gall) + 3.5 liters reserve (.925 US gall).

Someone's math is a little awry.

HTH,

John

There is only one thing that I will concede that Moto Guzzi probably do better than BMW - and it is something you cannot measure and you cannot put a price on. They build "soul" into their motorcycles.

..and the second thing is style :grin:

Maybe the MG webpage does not show the 2011 specs yet.

Several places in the article linked by the OP really tout the larger tank and significantly increased range.

JR356

I stopped by the local Guzzi dealer and only found a 2009 model Stelvi. Being the red haired step child of marques they sell they seem to have old stuff. I was hoping to report the difference between the '09 and the '11. Maybe next year when things catch up.

I've ridden the 1200 Stelvio, how many can say that? It has a vibration I didn't care for. Like it was out of TB sync. I rides like any GS and my buddy constantly craps in left handers when the side stand get ground down. Older version had a switch operated glove box on the right side of the bike and had 4.8 gal. The new one has the bigger 8 gallon tank perhaps no glove box.

Getting a kick out of an '09 Stelvio here. The 200 mile range is fine for me. I'm stopping every 100 miles or so anyway. The charm of the MG engine can't be understated.... well, at least for me. One just rides the thing to hear it. Unexpectedly, it is a real attention grabber wherever it is. Have had no notable issues with it. Bone stock except for a nice Mistral slip-on. Have had no need to mess with the FI. The power delivery is very GS like, the handling sweet, and it has that Italian flair.

Oh BTW, I also ride a 12GSADV. I'm not sure we've seen images of the Stelvio "Adventure" yet. There are pics floating around, but the tank size seems comparable to the '09 Stelvio, and I know how bulbous an 8-9 gal tank is! We'll see. That said, it is great owning and riding a Moto Guzzi. Too bad their presence in NA is very limited.

stelvioevans800.jpg

I get so upset when you post pictures about not having anywhere to ride those bikes.

Really, I feel for ya...

:/

:wave:

There are pics floating around, but the tank size seems comparable to the '09 Stelvio
01_Stelvio.gif

02_Stelvio.gif

03_MotoGuzzi_StelvioNTX.gif

Yeah, don't see where they're putting the extra fuel. The restyle around the headlights looks good IMO. I like the name! Stelvio :)

Pat

Archived