IGNORED

Spring Blue Ridge Rendezvous - 2011 Pikeville, Kentucky April 29th-May 1st

Lone_RT_rider

Are you suggesting that Ken is a sure thing? Wow! Sounds like we're oversharing about Ken here! :rofl:

Yes, where are the Moderators when you need them? :dopeslap:

Yup, but Thursday may be a little rough to get there from the north.

From the South as well. We should be able to avoid the rain by wearing rainsuits. Then it's all good from there.

----

Foot will be here Wednesday night and we will head out early Thursday morning. After checking the weather along the way we are looking at a 30 to 50% chance of rain and thunder showers early in the day and clearing as we go southwest. Can't wait to get going!!!!!

Paul Mihalka
Too early to pack the bike?

Guess I might need to leave my toothbrush out.

David

Nah. ALL you need is a toothbrush and a credit card... :grin:

Sadly out. :cry: Fell at work and took out my useta good knee now I have 2 junk ones. I got more road rash than I did when I crashed

my race bike long ago. For some reason I seem to hurt worse now than then too :dopeslap:

I may heal enough by June for that chicken thingy :clap:

"Hey,hey, let's be careful out there."

Sadly out. :cry: Fell at work and took out my useta good knee now I have 2 junk ones. I got more road rash than I did when I crashed

my race bike long ago. For some reason I seem to hurt worse now than then too :dopeslap:

Get well soon...you bum! :wave:

PS, I'll be in chitown for a few days on my way west toward the end of june. Let's try to have lunch or a drink.

Sorry to hear that mrzoom :cry:

I keep tellin' people "Work is dangerous for your health"

Yup, but Thursday may be a little rough to get there from the north.

From the South as well. We should be able to avoid the rain by wearing rainsuits. Then it's all good from there.

Weather forecasts in the southeast are highly "variable" in the spring. As of this morning, Rain was predicted for Sunday, but as of this evening, delightful conditions Friday-Sunday. The forecast has been steadily improving for the past few days.

Paul Mihalka

I am changing a bit my riding plans. Original plan was to take Thursday/Friday to BRR, looking for some nice roads mostly in eastern Ohio. If you know triple nickel you know what I'm talking about. Now with Thursday a not so nice day (but improving), I may take a more direct route to Pikeville getting there on Thursday as Pikeville forecast is real nice. If the weather is +/- OK, it's rt. 50 to Clarksburg, then I79 to Charleston WV - rt. 119 to Pikeville. If it's lousy, just interstates I70-I68 -Morgantown WV- I79-rt. 119.

Ltljohn and Foot, we may end up on the same road.

Leaving after work tomorrow, hopefully my package from TX will arrive in time.

I am going to head either to Casa RightSpin or to Shawn's house depending on departure, traffic and weather.

I am going to head either to Casa RightSpin or to Shawn's house depending on departure, traffic and weather.

Weather should be okay. Traffic is always iffy.

But hopefully you'll take Bill's advise & stop at CRS. It's a long haul to Greenville, & seein' as you have all week, no sense in pushin' it.

I had a slim chance of getting up there, but it evaporated today. I'll miss y'all.

P.S., Can I borrow Nate's PW? :grin:

Leaving Thursday morning, real early.

Meeting a small group of chasers at 6:30 AM on the northside. 2 days of back roads to get there.

Danny there is room for one more, if you want.

Is it Thursday yet? :lurk:

Joe Frickin' Friday
Rough weather forecast for this week, but looks like SMOOTH SAILING for Pikeville! :thumbsup:

untitled-M.jpg

Crap, looks nice. You kids have fun, eh? Wish I could check out Pikesville, but I need to budget my time so I can do Torrey, the Un, and...some other event this fall. This will be the first BRR/El Paseo I've missed since '03. :(

All you boys and girls have a good time...Danny and I'll keep the home fires going in J'ville. Matt when you get back maybe just maybe there will be a bike for you to try out...the petcock repair kits came in today !!! Restoration on the V7 Sport starts tomarrow...

waterstalker

All,

New guy checking in here. I'm tree ailing in with Lawn Chair Boy and bringing my ongoing project. My'06 KTM 950SM. Sadly my wife is making me leave my 2010 Boxer at home. Needless to say I'm carrying enough tools and misc. parts to save my weekend and yours if necessary. Just so you know.

All,

New guy checking in here. I'm tree ailing in with Lawn Chair Boy and bringing my ongoing project. My'06 KTM 950SM. Sadly my wife is making me leave my 2010 Boxer at home. Needless to say I'm carrying enough tools and misc. parts to save my weekend and yours if necessary. Just so you know.

Nice first post Mike,

Looking forward to riding with you again after a 20 years of never being in the same state/country/continent at the same time. See you Thursday evening. Have a cold one waiting.

I am changing a bit my riding plans. Original plan was to take Thursday/Friday to BRR, looking for some nice roads mostly in eastern Ohio. If you know triple nickel you know what I'm talking about. Now with Thursday a not so nice day (but improving), I may take a more direct route to Pikeville getting there on Thursday as Pikeville forecast is real nice. If the weather is +/- OK, it's rt. 50 to Clarksburg, then I79 to Charleston WV - rt. 119 to Pikeville. If it's lousy, just interstates I70-I68 -Morgantown WV- I79-rt. 119.

Ltljohn and Foot, we may end up on the same road.

Sounds like the same route Ltljohn laid out. Heck we might meet and a gas station again!

Alan

Just put some new rubber on last night, and have a fresh set of front brake pads sitting here that I need to toss on tonight. So the bikes not quite ready yet, and I haven't packed a thing.

All plans are in complete chaos right now.......stupid work keeps getting in the way. One way or another, I will be there on Thursday at some point.

Not packed, not loaded, not even gassed up but I have set the alarm clock. We need to discuss this leaving in the dark thingie.

Weather improving although it looks bad for north GA today/tonight.

Bill

I keep tellin' people "Work is dangerous for your health"

+1 :thumbsup:

Work is killing me, but that will all be behind me come noon tomorrow! Are we there yet?

P.S. Is anyone in the area, or has anyone looked into the possibility of flooding around Pikeville? I know it's at a high elevation, but we'll certainly have to ride through lower areas, and while the rain will have moved on, flooding hangs around a while.

My rep in Louisville said it's been raining for two weeks straight, and there is wisespread flooding across the whole state. Any local updates?

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/alerts/region/severeWxAlertsECUS.html

Paul Mihalka

Spare toothbrush is in the bike and credit card in the wallet. I'm ready. What I'll wear is rainproof - I hope. In the morning I hope I can wait until the red and yellow on the weather map moves east over me. See ya'll tomorrow!

Yep. Got three alternate routes planned out to deal with poor weather and waterproof gear for when I invariably guess wrong. :grin:

David

Nice n Easy Rider
P.S. Is anyone in the area, or has anyone looked into the possibility of flooding around Pikeville? I know it's at a high elevation, but we'll certainly have to ride through lower areas, and while the rain will have moved on, flooding hangs around a while.

My rep in Louisville said it's been raining for two weeks straight, and there is wisespread flooding across the whole state. Any local updates?

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/alerts/region/severeWxAlertsECUS.html

Statement as of 5:47 AM EDT on April 27, 2011

... Flash Flood Watch remains in effect through late tonight...

The Flash Flood Watch continues for

* portions of east central Kentucky... northeast Kentucky... south

central Kentucky and southeast Kentucky... including the

following areas... in east central Kentucky... Bath... Elliott...

Estill... Fleming... Menifee... Montgomery... Powell and Rowan. In

northeast Kentucky... Johnson and Martin. In south central

Kentucky... Laurel... McCreary... Pulaski... Rockcastle... Wayne

and Whitley. In southeast Kentucky... Bell... Breathitt... Clay...

Floyd... Harlan... Jackson... Knott... Knox... Lee... Leslie...

Letcher... Magoffin... Morgan... Owsley... Perry... Pike and Wolfe.

* Through late tonight

* rainfall amounts of between one and three inches are anticipated

across the area through Wednesday night. The heavy nature of the

rains associated with any thunderstorm... and a potential for

training storms... will mean a possibility for flash flooding

throughout the area.

* Heavy rainfall may cause flash flooding on small creeks and streams

through Wednesday night. Heavy rain may also cause significant

ponding of water on area roads.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A Flash Flood Watch means that conditions may develop that lead

to flash flooding. Flash flooding is a very dangerous situation.

You should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action

should flash flood warnings be issued.

Nice n Easy Rider
George, this has the makings of an adventure. Hope it's a story to tell the grandchildren and not the EMTs.

---

The question I want to know is: Will the RT's top box serve as a flotation device in an emergency?

Nice n Easy Rider

ROAD CONDITIONS FOR PIKEVILLE AREA

Anyone heading to the BRR might check to see if any of these roads are on your planned route(s).

US 60 in both directions: ROAD CLOSED - Between KY 967 and Mile Point 12 in Livingston County. The road is closed because of flooding. Follow the signs. The road is open for local access only. For the next week. 4/26/2011

US 62 in both directions: All lanes blocked. - Between KY 1181 and KY 408. All lanes are blocked. Look out for flooding. For several days. 4/26/2011

US 51 in both directions: All lanes blocked.- Between East Cairo Holloway Road and Illinois State Line. All lanes are blocked. Look out for flooding. For several days. - 4/26/2011

US 51 in both directions: All lanes blocked. - Between Carlisle, Ballard County Line and KY 121; Court Street. All lanes are blocked. Look out for flooding. For several days. 4/25/2011

Ok, I think I’m finally packed.

Got some straps sewn on my riding pants so I can hold onto my backside if I get to ride with Shawn. :grin:

Got some goat repellant and fishing gear in case I get to ride with Keith. :rofl:

A dictionary of American English cuss-words in case I get to ride with Craig and he puts me on another bridge-of-death. :wave:

Oh, and some binoculars in case I get to ride with Paul. :lurk:

David

lawnchairboy

we are close.... coming in on 23 from the south no trouble yet, on four wheels however. 'be a shame to have to handle all these beers by ourselves

Lone_RT_rider
we are close.... coming in on 23 from the south no trouble yet, on four wheels however. 'be a shame to have to handle all these beers by ourselves

I took a look at those road closures on the map. It looks like everything is North of Pikeville. I have a text into Matt to get in touch with me later. I'll let you know if he ran into anything. If your coming from the South, I think you should be ok. I will confirm that later. Everyone have a great time! I will see you late Friday night.

Shawn

I'm putting the finishing touches on my pack-up job:

Rain gear (as a precautionary measure) ... Check

Meds (as a preventative measure) ... Check

Flask o' Maker's (as a preservative measure) ... Check

RickB and I should be there this time tomorrow ... well, that's the plan at any rate.

Nice n Easy Rider
Hats off to the organizers for an sbsolutely amazing job of scheduling this BRR between bouts of nasty weather. :thumbsup:

Selden,

Don't speak too soon. This is the weather forecast for Boone NC that Quinn and I will be traveling through around 11 AM tomorrow.

"Mostly cloudy. Showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then a chance of showers in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may produce damaging winds and large hail in the morning." :(

Sitting now in Kingsport TN after a leisurely ride through most of NC and coming over the Snake. Saw only light rain in NC and none afterward until we stopped in Kingsport.

Coolest temp today was 70 east of the mountains and then it popped up into the low 80s after we crossed over.

Rain is predicted hgere tonite but stopping by 8 AM with only light stuff around here on Ths. Weekend forecasts are good. I suppose you can run into stuff coming here (tghere is a bunch of nasty weather south of DC as I write this, for example) but I expect most of you will ride in thrtough only some spotty stuff at worst.

See y'all tomorrow night.

Hats off to the organizers for an sbsolutely amazing job of scheduling this BRR between bouts of nasty weather. :thumbsup:

Selden,

Don't speak too soon. This is the weather forecast for Boone NC that Quinn and I will be traveling through around 11 AM tomorrow.

"Mostly cloudy. Showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then a chance of showers in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may produce damaging winds and large hail in the morning." :(

But I ain't hitting the road until Friday. :grin: My wife and I are planning to stop at Cafe REL in Franklin for lunch, and pull into Pikeville between 4:00 and 6:00, depending on how much we dally.

Archived