IGNORED

Spring Blue Ridge Rendezvous - 2011 Pikeville, Kentucky April 29th-May 1st

Lone_RT_rider

Lone_RT_rider

Matt and I are proud to present the Blue Ridge Rendezvous in Pikeville, Kentucky!!!!

April 29th – May 1st, 2011

It’s time once again to announce our annual spring BMWST.com get together. We remembered how much people loved the roads in Kentucky and especially those to the east side of the state, so we decided to give this another try. This may be a very back to basics BRR. I am still working on finding a Saturday night dinner option and the town is very small, but there seem to be more eatery options than Williamsburg did. We are still trying to find good route options, but it looks like some of the routes from Williamsburg and Maggie Valley overlap in this area, so that may work. We are open to options if people have some experience in that area. So, here we go!

Lodging: HI Express - Pikeville, KY

If you call between 8am and 4pm there is a much better chance that you will be able to speak to someone that knows how to take care of group reservations. Also make sure you tell them you are with BMWSportTouring.com so that there won't be any confusion on the group rate.

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Pikeville

476 S. Mayo Trail, Pikeville, KY 41502

Phone: (606) 433-1800 ‎

Standard Two double beds is $85.99/night plus tax.. Make sure you specify if you will be arriving Wednesday, Thursday or Friday night. You are responsible for making your own reservations.

Meals:

Breakfasts: The Mitch Patrie honorary Complimentary Continental breakfast at the hotel. Remember…complimentary!

The Friday evening cookout: We are still trying to find some information on the hotel’s facilities so this one is still in the air. We’ll do something, we just don’t know what yet!

Saturday Group Dinner: We may or may not have 1 group meal Saturday evening. As I said above, I am still working on the details of this. Look for plans for this dinner to evolve as we go. As always, we will be doing pay ahead with Pay-Pal for the dinner.

Attractions: The riding in this area is mountainous and twisty, just what we all love! I am sure that this time of year the tree’s will be starting to bear leaves and the scenery will be amazing!

There are also a lot of pretty cool things to see within an easy ride of the hotel. There are plenty of state and national parks with some work renowned hiking trails, waterfalls and wildlife observation areas nearby.

Matt and I are really looking forward to seeing all of you there!

So let's hear it, who's IN?

From Here

"Nestled in the beautiful mountains of eastern Kentucky, Pikeville is often described as “Kentucky’s Mountain Treasure.” Twice voted as a Top 100 Best Small Town in America, Pikeville is the 3rd largest banking center in the commonwealth and the economic hub of eastern Kentucky.

Famous for being the home of the Hatfield-McCoy feud and recognized as one of the nation’s largest producers of coal, Pikeville and Pike County are steeped in the traditions and culture of the Appalachian mountains. While feuding is a thing of the past, an appreciation of mountain music and arts to the enduring attitude of neighbor helping neighbor, make Pikeville a great place to call home..

Embracing its mountain heritage, each year more than 100,000 self-proclaimed “hillbillies” come to town to celebrate Hillbilly Days. The three day festival, held the 3rd weekend in April, draws folks from across the US and even Canada. It is one of the largest events held annually in Kentucky and helps support the great work of the Shriners Hospital for Children.

The rugged ridges that surround Pikeville don’t stand in the way of progress. The city literally moved mountains in what is known as the Pikeville Cut-thru. Rivaling the construction of the Panama Canal, the cut-thru is reportedly the world’s 2nd largest earth moving project. The work allowed highway construction, re-routed the Levisa Fork of the Big Sandy River and moved a key railroad line. Relocating the river was critical to end the devastating flooding that historically plagued the city.

The never-quit spirit of this determined mountain town brought Pikeville the largest arena in eastern Kentucky...the Eastern Kentucky Expo Center. The Expo seats 7,500 people for events that attract national shows such as the Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey Circus, the Moscow Ballet and famous recording artists like Alan Jackson, Toby Keith, ZZ Top and others.

Pikeville is also a great base for nature-loving vacationers. Outdoor lovers will be awed by the beauty of the “Grand Canyon of the South,” otherwise known as Breaks Interstate Park. This beautiful park spans the mountains of Virginia and Kentucky. The magnificent vistas, hiking, camping and more make this a great vacation destination.

Uncompromising beauty, a thriving economy, great roads and friendly people all contribute to Pikeville’s attraction."

At least we will miss Hillbilly Days! Or maybe our Clampetts would want to reschedule to make it coincide?

Lone_RT_rider
At least we will miss Hillbilly Days! Or maybe our Clampetts would want to reschedule to make it coincide?

It was definitely a consideration when scheduling this event. Getting a room in that town during Hillbilly Days was pretty much impossible. :)

Then again, we are going to have to bring instant cappuccino with us. :rofl:

\

shannie-mae is a big draw!

It was definitely a consideration when scheduling this event. Getting a room in that town during Hillbilly Days was pretty much impossible. :)

Only the ones with indoor plumbing...

I have been to pikeville a couple of times. I had been looking at that area (and town specifically) as a possible UN locatiion.

Good choice. However as is always the case with BRR, I work with our finance group a lot, and month end is hard to do. But with Sunday on the 1st I might make this one. so tentavily IN.

Looks like a great choice!

I know Terri won't be able to make it due to work commitments, and my own haven't firmed up yet either ... but I'm going to try to make it there. Won't know for a few days, at best.

...I am still working on finding a Saturday night dinner option and the town is very small, but there seem to be more eatery options than Williamsburg did....

The Mexican restaurant was at the top of the food chain in Williamsburg. I wonder if Endobob will see more or fewer teeth than last time.

I'm in; maybe 2-up.

Originally Posted By: Knifemaker

IN.....

And the big question, which bike?

Since I will most likely be chasing another bike from Jville on the way up...I will ride the R1150R this time....The UN-Bike is up for grabs though.....

I'm definitely IN! Just don't know for how many days yet. Be there Friday night for certain ... perhaps sooner (I hope)!

As someone else pointed out ... there seem to be lots of great squigglies on the map to explore.

Tentatively in!!

John, the Probably Inn is just up the road. You can stay with Danny! :grin::dopeslap:

Just left the probably inn and checked in the the Holiday Inn. Hope Danny isn't lonely there by himself. See you in KY.

Same dates as the Georgia Mountain Rally

Choices, choices, choices

Terry

Depends if you like rain or not, as GMR is traditionally rainy, no matter when they schedule it.

I am committed to be in the Catskills on the 25th of April for my Mom's big birthday party. I might be able to catch this on the way home.

Alan

I am committed to be in the Catskills on the 25th of April for my Mom's big birthday party. I might be able to catch this on the way home.

Alan

If you're late, just have your Mama write you a note.

---

Alan

Maybe you Deb and Kathy can ride down together

Maybe I haven't told Deb about the BRR, I can't run to fast yet!

Yeah, I know what you mean... I'm getting better about fighting one handed but it's not quite the same

KY looks like a great place for an UN. The roads look quite interesting.

Not to try to take this thread to someplace else but I have to go to a wedding in Asheville in April and was thinking of taking the Blue Ridge. Then thought weather-wise it might be too early. But since you are planning this rally in the same time frame so may I presume that the Blue Ridge is generally open? Sitting here in central Mass in an ice storm so the thought of spring seems like a mirage. Local knowledge as to weather appreciated.

Screwed again....have a biz conference in Vegas beginning May2.

Last year it was son's college graduation.

This is really beginning to piss me off. :mad:

Looks like I'll be there also. Is someone going to post some good routes? This is a new area to me and I'm not too familiar with it.
:thumbsup:

Don't know if this has already been covered, but I called to make a reservation today, and all the double/double rooms are gone. I reserved a room with a single king size bed at the BRR rate.

IN!!

I Just spoke with Debbie and easily got a room with two double beds on Apr29th for 2 nights! When I called about a week ago I got someone who didn't seem familiar with group reservations which prompted me to call back later (i.e. today).

Im in! Now if I can just "keep it in" ! :grin:

Hey, Dave D, brother Frank, and nephew Jon, you in?

PS: just made hotel res, and Debbie has only a couple of King non smoking rooms left. Give her a call quick if you are planning on going.

In response to:

Poster: FLrider

Subject: Re: Spring Blue Ridge Rendezvous - 2011 Pikeville, Kentucky April 29th-May 1st

Screwed again....have a biz conference in Vegas beginning May2.

Last year it was son's college graduation.

This is really beginning to piss me off. mad

YES me too!! I'm always working when these fine events are being held. Can't wait until retirement.

Archived