IGNORED

my new guy intro

JOHNNYWISHBONE

JOHNNYWISHBONE

good evening, gentlemen. my name is johnny. i am very old. and very short. in spite of this, i'm picking up a new 2011 r1200rt at ten am tomorrow. i dropped off a touratech crash bar last saturday for installation. i brought home the saddlebags and tail box. that way, if i drop it on the way home, the damage will be minimal. i've had r75/5 and r100/7 before. last 30 years it's been harley. i really am not sure i did the right thing. it's a lot of money. also the wrong time of year. i just retired. i am really bored. i'll get the 600 mile service out of the way asap, then see what happens. i'm in san diego. i'm cold. i have no clue how you cold weather people survive. do you have any beer? jp

Welcome, Johnny. Don't worry about the RT. I have a 29-inch inseam and it's no problem. You only have to stop it once every 300 miles for gas, and at the end of a 1000-mile day when you get to your motel. It's different from other bikes that way.

Yes, we have beer. Thank you for your service.

I have a long lost cousin from Sandy Eggo & if you be him, I have beer! :grin: You may need a new seat for comfort reasons, other than that you're gonna love the rt. :thumbsup:

Pat

Great into Johnny. I think you'll love the RT. As I'm sure your dealer told you, there are several "low" seat options that help you get your feet on the ground more easily. I think Sargant makes an off-the-shelf after-market one that is pretty good. You can also get lower shocks but that's pricey.

Welcome aboard Johnny, I can't believe you are all that OLD. At least with what you are doing, you must be thinking young :thumbsup:

I am inseam challenged as well and in addition to what the others have said about seats, I had extra thick soles and heels added to my boots and it made a lot of difference in touching the ground. But as Nando said, you only need to stop for gas every 300 mi.

Best wishes and hope to hear more from you. :wave:

Welcome!

Lots of great folks in SO CAL and lots of great info here to help ya figure out what works for you and what doesn't.

Please check the events Calender, we specialize in assisting "the bored".

Torrey in May is my fav. If you are up for a cross country adventure the UN Rally is in late Summer.

DaveTheAffable

Welcome Johnny! There's a lot of nice folks on this side of the insanity country. (Other side too, but I'm in north orange county).

We even have one guy named "Old Geezer"!

Welcome Johnny.

I am a new member too, having picked up a used 1100RT couple of months back. I too am very short but getting by so far with lower seat, shoe inserts etc. , nervous but ok.

Lots of good info and great people on this forum.

Enjoy.

Welcome.

Low shocks are pricey, but a bargain when compare to tuperwarerepair.

Just curious, aren't the new models available in two versions - one standard height and other low frame/suspension?

Dennis Andress

Welcome. Beemers take a few miles before everything settles in and runs smooth. So, get the 600 mile service done and then ride the wheels off the thing. Don't form any hard and fast opinions about the bike until it has around 10,000 miles on it.

Enjoy the ride.

Oh, by the way, that EffBee guy ^ has what it takes to stay warm...

Geez, a guy mentions beer and you-all are slobbering all over yourselves (as I wipe the drool from my lower lip).

Johnny, you sure found the weak spot on this board in a hurry.

Welcome.

Low shocks are pricey, but a bargain when compare to tuperwarerepair.

Just curious, aren't the new models available in two versions - one standard height and other low frame/suspension?

Yes, but he didn't mention having the low version.

If he has the low version it may be time to see a cobbler and seatster.

Greeting Johnny.

I too am somewhat vertically challenged but my 5' 9" with 29" inseam has no issues with my 05 RT. The seat is in the lowered position but I will admit that I've been looking at a set of lowered footpegs for a more comfortable leg position. That said though, I've been on 2000 mile trips with no issues. You'll love the bike, I'm sure.

BTW, I'm fascinated by your avatar. Too blurry to make out the writing but is it a family crest or what??

Regards

Bernd (about 80 miles north of you)

JOHNNYWISHBONE

DSC00241.jpg

got it home without dropping it. will try to live without the low seat. the avatar is a "polish eagle". no jokes. i don't want to lower the bike. the engineers spent a lot of time perfecting the geometry. i don't want to alter this.

i had originally thought of doing the death valley weekend. i'm coming down with a cold or something. i think i'll have to pass. i'm really in sensory overload right now. i can't believe i really bought this thing. i didn't put it in the garage. i can't stop looking at this bike. this is so bitchin'. i am stoked. got any beer? jp

Hey Johnny

Thanks for the info on the avatar.

As far as the seat height goes, you ARE aware (are you not) that the seat has different height setting to it. There is over an inch of difference between hi & lo positions.

We're glad you got her home Johnny, she's beautiful. It only gets better from here. As mentioned b4 thicker soles on your boots help a lot. Although the more you ride her the more comfortable you will get. Cold??? Low temp of 12F here tonight, keeps my beer cold....don't think I will be riding to work tomorrow though.

I appreciate your service in Saigon sir.

Johnny,

Thank you for serving! and....welcome to the QUIET side! I've got beer, ale. wine, Whiskey, cigars.....and even some bad habits.

Congrats, Johnny. I'm not vertically challenged, though I do have other issues. Apart from lowering the seat to its lower position, there are a number of companies that will work with you to resculpt the seat, lowering your seating position. If you want to explore this possibility. I'd suggest posting any inquiries under "Bike-Related Things."

• 4 weeks later...
JOHNNYWISHBONE

you know what? forty years ago i was riding a kaw tripple home from the shipyard. on hiway 94 there was a longhair guy on a chopper. there was something on the back of the bike. i eased over. it was a crutch. why?

the guy only had one leg. the other, halfway between the hip and knee, chopped off. remember, this was before electric starts. i'll quit my sniveling.

Hi Johnnie and welcome. Come on up north of the border. We get much further than 300 miles on a tank of gas - we get 483 km's. not to mention that we can drive much faster (100 km/hr) AND bonus, we have real beer. Also short inseam here and managing fine.

Welcome! Those Kaw triples (and Suzuki triples) are the stuff of legend. I almost bought a Suzuki GT380 as my first motorcycle. Glad I didn't, I would have killed myself!

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

Archived