IGNORED

2010 and GPS mount

Eye

Hello everyone! Just moved from an R1200CM to a 2010 RT. Oh my God! Smooth! So I want to mount a GPS without cutting into the dash area. Besides, I like the unit near my left hand and up so I can see and reach it quickly. The handlebars are unaccommodating and the clutch reservior is a funky new design that has a little play in it. I'm not sure I want to mount a GPS on the reservior because it doesn't seem strongly anchored to the bar. Any suggestions? Thanks for looking,

Mark

DaveTheAffable

- Go to "Bike Related Things" forum

- Click on Search, Advanced search

In the search field use +gps +mount +2010

You'll get LOTS of stuff.

I LOVE mt 2010 RT!

BMW makes a GPS mount that attaches to the dash cover with no drilling or cutting. It looks clean and uses the original screws for attachment. It's a bit pricey at $135.00 but it is solid and looks good. I like the GPS mounted mounted high and in your sight line of the road. No issues with the tank bag.

http://ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=82511

I have a 2010 R1200RT and used the RAM Ball with U-Clamp. I mounted it on the left side handlebar. To protect the finish on the handlebar, I used clear tubing (found at most hardware stores) around the U-Clamp (had to warm up the tubing to get it on). After mounting the RAM Ball, I then touched up the nuts on the U-Clamp with black nail polish (same stuff I use on my helmet for nicks).

When the Zumo isn't on the bike, the mount almost looks like it belongs there. When the Zumo is mounted, it's right where it needs to be and out of the way of reading any guages, etc.

I like this better than the shelf mounts above/attached to the dash.

RE: U-Clamp.

I used a slightly bigger U-Clamp than the one that comes with the Garmin RAM mount. Again, the U-Clamps can be found at most hardware stores.

Chip, Interesting suggestion. The standard black spacer for the RAM U bolt doesn't fit between the grip components but I forgot to consider the clear vinyl tubing as an alternative. I have used that before for other things and don't know why I didn't consider it. Thanks,

Mark

Chip, Interesting suggestion. The standard black spacer for the RAM U bolt doesn't fit between the grip components but I forgot to consider the clear vinyl tubing as an alternative. I have used that before for other things and don't know why I didn't consider it. Thanks,

Mark

I took a couple of pic of the setup. PM me and I'll send them.

I just ordered the kit from GPS Zone that includes the arm and diamond back plate. It should do the trick, along with a hard wire kit for my Garmin that I got on ebay.

Archived