IGNORED

AEROSTITCH 2 PIECE

JOHNNYWISHBONE

JOHNNYWISHBONE

i bought a used aerostitch 2 piece suit. the zipper that connects the pants to the jacket, i can't get it apart. should i just leave it zipped together, or break it and leave the jacket and pants separate? i have other jackets if i just want jacket alone. after the cold season, i guess i'll send it back to aerostitsh if i can't figure out how to fix it myself. the zipper is fine, the pull is sick. anyone done this fix?

thanks, jp

First of all Johnnywishbone, welcome to the board. I'd recommend an "intro" post on "Motorcycle Talk". Then fill out your profile so we know a little about you, it will help in answering questions. On your zipper issue, depending on where you are locateted, you can usually google a zipper repair place and they can fix it for you. I know of one here in Tucson but that won't help if you're in Maine. You might try attaching an additional "pull" on your zipper pulls to give you more positive force. Get some magnifying glasses to see if you can see something that is causing the problem. That's my $.25,

My vote is for spending a little more time with it before you go separating it with a pair of snips. Does either pull move at all? did the previous owner glue them in place? Can you figure out what kind of glue it is (some are more permenant than others). Or are you simply overlooking some other problem? Have a friend take a look.

Aerostich is really good about repairs. In my experience, they're remarkably inexpensive too. See what they say.

CoarsegoldKid

There is a place in Berkeley called Narians that has worked on my Roadcrafter. The owner said he has repaired many motorcycle apparel. The bulk of his business is camping gear that needs repair.

However you may be located in Outer Mongolia so shipping may be difficult.

Aerostich sells several versions of zipper repair kits. They come with instructions. I would suggest you get a suitable kit, carefully take the zipper apart by removing whatever you have to remove, and the carefully replace what you removed. After needing several repairs on 'hung' zippers on my one-piece RC I keep 2 kits in the glove box.

A local cleaners might be able be able to fix you up. I have a pair of riding pants with full length leg zippers that failed miserably early in their life. Local cleaners replaced both leg zippers at more than I wanted to spend, but not really unreasonable (certainly much more than the cost of a repair kit).

In response to:

Poster: bmw_rider

Subject: Re: AEROSTITCH 2 PIECE

How about a phone call to Aerostitch with some Q&A for advice? Start with the source and work outbound.

+1

Call Aerostitch and discuss the problem with them. Great people to work with and if you send it in for repairs or updates the turn around time is pretty fast.

:lurk:

If the zipper has a mechanical issue, that's tough BUT if it may simply be gummed up with crud, try brushing some WD-40 on the whole length and let it sit an hour or so and see if you can start working it a tiny bit back and forth. You may have to re-apply the WD-40 but once you get even a bit of movement, you're on the road to success.

I lightly apply WD-40 to all my zippers once or twice a year and they continue to work easy and smoothly.

I would ride up there and give them what-for, but I'm only a few hours away.......

They are really good about repairs, tho. I would call them first.

Welcome to the board, BTW! :thumbsup:

should i just leave it zipped together, or break it and leave the jacket and pants separate? i have other jackets if i just want jacket alone. after the cold season, i guess i'll send it back to aerostitsh if i can't figure out how to fix it myself. the zipper is fine, the pull is sick. anyone done this fix?

thanks, jp

If you separate the 2-piece, the pants will fall down without suspenders or a decent belt. Does your suit have belt loops? Older 2-piece suits did not come standard with belt loops. If you have no reason to separate them, then don't.

I have fixed many zippers. Though, not this exact one.

1) If it is just the pull and not the slide or locking portion of the slide, then simply replace the pull with a large paper clip with duct tape rapping. I've used a paper clip pull for years on a jacket.

2) The locking mechanism is another major cause of zippers getting stuck. The lock simply stays in the locked position. Although, the picture on the Aerostich site shows a zipper pull w/o a lock. But, maybe yours has a lock? Often, a worn out pull can cause the lock to stay locked(paper clip is a fix). But other times it is simply crudded up. If all else fails, you may get by without the locking mechanism. Carefully remove the locking mechanism from the zipper slide.

3) Is the slider bent? If the pull is good, the locking mechanism isn't holding it back or the zipper doesn't have a bad tooth, then the slider is likely bent. Sometimes you can locate the spot where the slider is gripping and pry it open a bit with a small screwdriver and it will forever work fine. But it may be best to replace the slider as suggested.

4) Replacing the slider yourself. Most sliders are very difficult to replace and require the end of the zipper un-stitched to get the slider off. But, I think the zipper that holds the top and bottom together on a RC 2-piece would not need more than the tiny zipper stops removed to replace the slider. You should have a few of those zipper stops in a repair kit with you anyhow. To remove the stops, you need to pry the stop open to remove. It isn't a walk-in-the-park! If you are unsure of yourself, a decent clothing or boat top shop could likely do it in a jiffy.

Good luck.

Archived