IGNORED

With Verizon announcing iPhone tomorrow

Bud

and projected first year sales of 9+ million units: 1. Wonder when units will actually be available for shipment. 2. What will that increased traffic do to Verizon's network capability and 3.With an unlimited data plan, it sure could suck off AT+T users, particularly since their system was recently rated worst by Consumers Report.

Competition is good for consumers!

In the interest of full disclosure, I fired AT+T as my land line carrier and refused to give them any money as a wireless customer.

It will be interesting to see how Verizon does with the increased network demands, though I would think that their performance to date, with a heavy load of smartphone users, would be a good indication that they'll cope well.

I've been reasonably happy with AT&T and left Verizon having had previous experiences with both carriers, so I was pretty much aware of their respective strengths and weaknesses. I won't jump back to Verizon unless it's clear that it's a better choice.

I think it's too late for the iPhone with Verizon. I'm sure Verizon will sell a lot of them, but the Droid has already established a significant market share. In hind sight, I'll bet Apple would have liked to have moved faster with regard to Verizon.

I think it's too late for the iPhone with Verizon. I'm sure Verizon will sell a lot of them, but the Droid has already established a significant market share. In hind sight, I'll bet Apple would have liked to have moved faster with regard to Verizon.

Actually, recent sales figures of the Android on Verizon indicate it has plateaued/leveled off in new activations, so it will be interesting to see how the iPhone does in renewing smartphone figures for them... don't know the figures for RIM though on Verizon.

At this point in the roll out of a 4G system by Verizon, I would be careful about jumping on the "new" iPhone from Verizon. Don't know for a fact, but have heard speculation, that the Verizon iPhone will be 3G only. I suspect a typical marketing scheme will be used by Verizon, sell as many 3G iPhones as possible, saturate the market, then introduce the 4G iPhones, making the 3G iPhones obsolete. And then sell a whole bunch more of the 4G iPhones. The only one who benefits will be Verizon because most people can't wait out the marketing ploy. (Including my wife probably)

It seems like their strategy has worked pretty well so far. I haven't seen the actual figures, but I recall that they were on track to sell around 20 million iPhones in the U.S. in 2010. While Android phones overall outsell iPhones, Apple, as always, bet the market would respond favorably to an Apple-branded phone.

Apple seems to have been consistent in this strategy across product lines--they're stingy with their OS and are focused on selling their own devices.

It seems like their strategy has worked pretty well so far. I haven't seen the actual figures, but I recall that they were on track to sell around 20 million iPhones in the U.S. in 2010. While Android phones overall outsell iPhones, Apple, as always, bet the market would respond favorably to an Apple-branded phone.

Apple seems to have been consistent in this strategy across product lines--they're stingy with their OS and are focused on selling their own devices.

I think what will be most telling is whether this phone comes out, as most people suspect, with Apple controlling all parts of it (i.e., does it have Verizon stamped anywhere on the physical hardware? does it have a bunch of Verizon crapware installed? etc.) or has Apple been so desperate that they gave in on their principles?

If, as many suspect, it will be just a CDMA iPhone, then I'm sure Apple will be just fine with it. The unified experience is still better than what one gets from the myriad Android-based phones. There will still be one company to go to for updates, and you'll be able to get them at the same time, not at the whim of the carrier and handset manufacturer. There will be a usable, not simply populated, App Store.

If you're dug into Android (like I've become), then a Verizon iPhone isn't anything particularly special. Otherwise, this seems pretty attractive.

I'm definitely going to look into the iPhone even though I am leaning toward the droid x. I've been a verizon user for a long time and have never really been a huge apple fan. I just some extra utility in a smartphone compared to my blackberry.

So a sailing friend tells me that right now he has internet access thru tethering to his phone and doesn't pay for a data plan and has unlimited bandwidth by not telling Verizon that he is tethering.

True?

So a sailing friend tells me that right now he has internet access thru tethering to his phone and doesn't pay for a data plan and has unlimited bandwidth by not telling Verizon that he is tethering.

True?

I'm not sure how you'd do it without a data plan.

But with a data plan, you can certainly tether without telling Verizon and not pay anything extra.

Steve,

are there features or apps of the Droid which make it superior to the iPhone?

I don't think either is really the better phone. Each is better in certain areas and both do a very good job as a smartphone. I think it would be hard to go wrong either way.

3.With an unlimited data plan, it sure could suck off AT+T users, particularly since their system was recently rated worst by Consumers Report.

Competition is good for consumers!

When I was with Sprint, I took advantage of the everything data etc plan for a reasonable monthly charge. I wanted an iPhone so I switched to AT&T. I suggested to the salesman that assisted me that AT&T would have to probably follow suit and compete with Sprint. "Never happen" he said. I guess we'll see.

Steve,

are there features or apps of the Droid which make it superior to the iPhone?

I don't think either is really the better phone. Each is better in certain areas and both do a very good job as a smartphone. I think it would be hard to go wrong either way.

I'd add one major caveat. If you're a heavy Gmail/Google Apps user, Android is far superior to the iPhone. Frankly, I firmly believe that iOS is superior (I used to say "far superior", but I think it's safe to drop that) to Android in nearly every way, and the iPhone as a piece of hardware is nicer than any Android-based phone I've seen. However, the Google integration is so superior, that if you're a Gmail user, I think it's hard to justify an iPhone, unless that's only a small part of why you have such a phone.

I switched to AT&T nine months ago because I got tired of waiting for Verizon to pick up the iPhone. I've been extremely happy with the iPhone and very satisfied with AT&T. The Tampa area has one of the best AT&T satisfaction ratings and I can agree that my experience with AT&T here has been just fine. AT&T is cheaper for one thing. They have a less expensive 200 megabite service that is good for me. And they have "carry-over" minutes (Verizon does not) which means if you do not use 100 minutes this month, those minutes go into your "carry-over" account. Because of that, I have never had to pay extra for going over my 450 minute plan.

I'm paying about $10 a month less with AT&T than I was paying with Verizon.

True?

I know someone with the exact same experience...

Done deal... it's official... iPhone 4 CDMA version is coming... Feb 3rd for existing customers of Verizon, Feb 10 for everyone else. Same price to buy as at AT&T, with tethering for up to 5 devices on the Verizon plan.

Yup, 3G only, no current 4G support. One other thing I noticed with the new CDMA (Verizon) iPhone versus the GSM (AT&T) iPhone is that the CDMA phone lacks the ability to use the phone and data at the same time. After some research, I guess it has always been this way with CDMA? Sooooooo, if I'm understanding that correctly......you can't talk on the phone and use the data connection at the same time? LOL....that sucks.

I do that on a daily basis with my iPhone, and I guess I always took it for granted that it was a basic feature of all smart phones. You guys on Verizon, can't their smart phones do this?

I had better coverage with Verizon, back before I switched to AT&T in order to get an iPhone. I've gotten so hooked on being able to use my phone internationally (and data), that I don't think I could go back to a CDMA network.

I had better coverage with Verizon, back before I switched to AT&T in order to get an iPhone. I've gotten so hooked on being able to use my phone internationally (and data), that I don't think I could go back to a CDMA network.

Same here. I don't travel internationally as often as you, but I'm pretty sold on the idea of having my own phone, wherever I travel. I moved (back) to AT&T once I determined that I no longer wanted to rent a phone anytime I traveled out of the USA.

And Keith, that's right. I'm not sure if it's a necessary characteristic of CDMA networks, but Verizon's does not support simultaneous voice and data. I don't often use both simultaneously, but I do find it very handy on occasion.

The way I see the Verizon vs. AT&T iPhone decision is thus: If you want broader domestic coverage, what will likely be (for the time being) better data coverage, and simultaneous voice/data are not important to you, go with Verizon. If you need international coverage and/or simultaneous voice/data, the only choice is AT&T.

Same here. I don't travel internationally as often as you, but I'm pretty sold on the idea of having my own phone, wherever I travel. I moved (back) to AT&T once I determined that I no longer wanted to rent a phone anytime I traveled out of the USA.

And Keith, that's right. I'm not sure if it's a necessary characteristic of CDMA networks, but Verizon's does not support simultaneous voice and data. I don't often use both simultaneously, but I do find it very handy on occasion.

The way I see the Verizon vs. AT&T iPhone decision is thus: If you want broader domestic coverage, what will likely be (for the time being) better data coverage, and simultaneous voice/data are not important to you, go with Verizon. If you need international coverage and/or simultaneous voice/data, the only choice is AT&T.

There's a another option to getting hooked on the iPhone; get a Blackberry. I travel a LOT worldwide (Tokyo, Franfurt, Madrid). My single Blackberry works flawlessly worldwide on Verizon. There's no need to rent a phone, lose contacts, my music, pictures or anything else on my phone. (albeit you are correct, I can't read BMWST posts the same time I'm using the phone.....as....yes.... a phone).

For you John Stewart fans, last nights episode was hilarious:

Verizon IPhone Announcement

Mike O

There's a another option to getting hooked on the iPhone; get a Blackberry. I travel a LOT worldwide (Tokyo, Franfurt, Madrid). My single Blackberry works flawlessly worldwide on Verizon. There's no need to rent a phone, lose contacts, my music, pictures or anything else on my phone. (albeit you are correct, I can't read BMWST posts the same time I'm using the phone.....as....yes.... a phone).

For you John Stewart fans, last nights episode was hilarious:

Verizon IPhone Announcement

Mike O

I have a Blackberry for work and my wife has one for work/home (both are the 9700 Bold). The email and phone features work well, and if I were traveling overseas and needed it for work purposes, I'd stick with the Blackberry due to the significantly lower cost of data service.

Overall, though, my experience has been that it's not nearly as good a device as an iPhone or Android smartphone for most consumer-oriented needs. First, I've run into at least a handful of situations where, upon arrival in a foreign country, our Blackberries needed to be reset by the removal and reinsertion of the SIM card, resetting of the network connection options, or jumping through similar (and fairly nonintuitive) hoops. I'm a little surprised, but when I've searched these solutions on line, I've seen that these issues are not unknown to other Blackberry users. However, once you get things straightened out, they do work very well in most places outside the USA.

On the other hand, the iPhone is a mixed blessing overseas. The big caveat is that you must be very careful about your data usage, or you could end up with a monstrous bill. I know a gent who was ecstatic about using his iPhone for the first time in Europe, only to return after a two-week trip to find a $4,000+ phone bill waiting for him. :eek: So, you need to be careful to select an international data plan before you travel, and also to manage your data connections (generally, web surfing outside of wi-fi coverage will kill you).

However, ignoring that issue--admittedly a big one--the iPhone has worked a lot better for me. You can download navigation software, take passable photos, listen to music, watch movies, use it for easy currency conversions, check email effortlessly, make essentially free calls using Skype, and much more, with a user interface that's far more intuitive and easy to navigate than RIM's.

So, in my experience, each has its place. If you need only email/phone/SMS capabilities while traveling, the Blackberry's going to be better, albeit a bit more clumsy in its user interface and its ability to easily traverse different phone systems. The iPhone will give you other easy-to-use capabilities, but with the added burden of having to be careful about how you manage your data usage. For me, the iPhone is the better choice.

True?

But with a data plan, you can certainly tether without telling Verizon and not pay anything extra.

Well . . .

You can buy a data plan from VZW that lets you tether your phone for $20 extra for 2GB of data a month.

If you had VZW's $29 "unlimited" regular data plan you could buy a third-party app that lets you tether without telling VZW (looking like any old application on the phone using the data network). I'm pretty sure that violates their TOS. I'm also pretty sure that if you use excessive amounts of data, they'll get curious.

Without a data plan there may be ways to do it that certainly violate the TOS and possibly federal law.

Mike,

Agree on the user experience...(we have iTouch and really like it)

Should the iPhone become as reliable a 'world' phone as my Blackberry, I'll be all over the iPhone. And then I'll empty my wallet buying new accessories :(

Competition and choice...It's what makes the commercial world go around.

Mike O

[a third-party app that lets you tether without telling VZW (looking like any old application on the phone using the data network). I'm pretty sure that violates their TOS. I'm also pretty sure that if you use excessive amounts of data, they'll get curious.

Without a data plan there may be ways to do it that certainly violate the TOS and possibly federal law.

Jailbreak away.

I'm also pretty sure that if you use excessive amounts of data, they'll get curious.

That would take a display of personal initiative from your provider's customer servants.

I've never seen such a display myself.

True?

When ATTWS dropped browser support on my Ericsson, I tried tethering it to my laptop to see if I could still connect. Yes I could. And when then next bill came, there was no record of any data usage at all.

it is 3G

Per my local store the 4G hits sometime July or August

I'm gonna do the Droid X I think.

My contract is up my phone is missing buttons, Ive been patinetly waiting the arrival of the iphone and now 3g vs.4g whats the difference. Aren't G's a measure of gravitational forces? :dopeslap:

it is 3G

Per my local store the 4G hits sometime July or August

I'm gonna do the Droid X I think.

My contract is up my phone is missing buttons, Ive been patinetly waiting the arrival of the iphone and now 3g vs.4g whats the difference. Aren't G's a measure of gravitational forces? :dopeslap:

G=generation of the technology.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived